I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Lost record shops of Glasgow

Postby Crate Digger » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:26 pm

there is a record fair on Saturday at the QMU if anyone is interested:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/community/reco ... 1003901175

has anyone ever been to it before? any good?
Crate Digger
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby SuperJags » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:04 pm

I've just stumbled across Hidden Glasgow while googling record shops in Glasgow. Thank you for welcoming me to the fold. I'm a long, long way from Glasgow right now and this is a brilliant reminder of home and of my childhood.
Judging by the dates I may be too late to contribute to the lost record shops thread but her goes anyway. I grew up in a flat on the corner of Byres Road and Cresswell Street, directly across the road from Listen Records. I spent a fortune in there and it's still one of the best record shops I've come across. The staff were knowledgable and friendly and would happily stick on any record you wanted to hear, even if they were playing something else at the time. They didn't look down their noses at you like in so many record shops. In short, a proper record shop and sorely missed.
SuperJags
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby SuperJags » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:08 pm

P.S I had completely forgotten about Gloria's. I bought one of my first ever records from there. Popcorn by Hot Butter to my eternal shame.Thank you for reminding me.
SuperJags
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby rabmania » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:15 pm

SuperJags wrote:I've just stumbled across Hidden Glasgow while googling record shops in Glasgow. Thank you for welcoming me to the fold. I'm a long, long way from Glasgow right now and this is a brilliant reminder of home and of my childhood.
Judging by the dates I may be too late to contribute to the lost record shops thread but her goes anyway. I grew up in a flat on the corner of Byres Road and Cresswell Street, directly across the road from Listen Records. I spent a fortune in there and it's still one of the best record shops I've come across. The staff were knowledgable and friendly and would happily stick on any record you wanted to hear, even if they were playing something else at the time. They didn't look down their noses at you like in so many record shops. In short, a proper record shop and sorely missed.

I expect someone will be along shortly to disagree with you.

Welcome!
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SuperJags » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:03 pm

rabmania wrote:
SuperJags wrote:I've just stumbled across Hidden Glasgow while googling record shops in Glasgow. Thank you for welcoming me to the fold. I'm a long, long way from Glasgow right now and this is a brilliant reminder of home and of my childhood.

I expect someone will be along shortly to disagree with you.

Welcome!

Thanks. Glad I found it even if I'm a bit late. It wouldn't be Glasgow if we all agreed.
They were only friendly in the Byres Road shop. At the Cambridge Street & Renfield Street branches they could look down their noses with the best of them
SuperJags
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:03 pm

SuperJags wrote:They were only friendly in the Byres Road shop. At the Cambridge Street & Renfield Street branches they could look down their noses with the best of them

Ah, good, you saved me the bother.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SuperJags » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:46 pm

I haven't managed to work my way through all of the posts in this thread so it may have been mentioned already, but there was another record shop at the bottom of Byres Road at the corner of maybe Chancellor Street. I just cannot remember the name of it. Can anyone help?
SuperJags
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby RDR » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:49 am

Josef wrote:
SuperJags wrote:They were only friendly in the Byres Road shop. At the Cambridge Street & Renfield Street branches they could look down their noses with the best of them

Can't agree there, always found them fine in the Cambridge Street shop and was in there a lot in the mid 70's.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Goliath » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:47 am

SuperJags wrote:I haven't managed to work my way through all of the posts in this thread so it may have been mentioned already, but there was another record shop at the bottom of Byres Road at the corner of maybe Chancellor Street. I just cannot remember the name of it. Can anyone help?

Was that the one across the road from where Farmfoods is now? I think it was run by an American guy, I remember buying Hey Stoopid by Alice Cooper in there, according to AlanM earlier in this thread, it was called MusicMania.
Goliath
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:17 pm

When Albums Ruled the World BBC4 22.45 tonight, Sat 9th Feb. The opening sequence features Lost Chord, Park rd.

Also on iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... the_World/
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SuperJags » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:54 am

Goliath wrote:
SuperJags wrote:I haven't managed to work my way through all of the posts in this thread so it may have been mentioned already, but there was another record shop at the bottom of Byres Road at the corner of maybe Chancellor Street. I just cannot remember the name of it. Can anyone help?

Was that the one across the road from where Farmfoods is now? I think it was run by an American guy, I remember buying Hey Stoopid by Alice Cooper in there, according to AlanM earlier in this thread, it was called MusicMania.

I think he might have been American now that you mention it, I was hoping the name would come back to me when I heard it but Music Mania doesn't ring a bell at all. I went in there with my sister sometime in 1977 then pretended not to be with her when she bought a Clifford T. Ward album. Music Mania it is then, I'm sure he's right.
SuperJags
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby SuperJags » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:09 am

RDR wrote:
Josef wrote:

Can't agree there, always found them fine in the Cambridge Street shop and was in there a lot in the mid 70's.

I was speaking to my sister this afternoon and we came to the conclusion that you're right and that I've done the staff of Listen Records Cambridge Street a grave disservice. But I DEFINITELY recall being looked down on in Renfield Street. When I bought Dragnet by The Fall the shop assistant had a good laugh with his mate while he took my money.
SuperJags
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby 8cats » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:09 am

Superjags, Music Mania was a fairly short-lived shop in the 90s if I remember correctly, so if you were there in 1977 it's likely it was a different name.
8cats
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:19 am

SuperJags wrote:
RDR wrote:
Josef wrote:

I was speaking to my sister this afternoon and we came to the conclusion that you're right and that I've done the staff of Listen Records Cambridge Street a grave disservice. But I DEFINITELY recall being looked down on in Renfield Street. When I bought Dragnet by The Fall the shop assistant had a good laugh with his mate while he took my money.

I used to spend many a lunch break in there around about 76-77, mainly browsing and dreaming of Hendrix albums I couldn't afford.
The staff at that time were heavily into promoting a local band called the Khyber Trifles. I wonder what became of them?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects