Bombs over Glasgow in WW2

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Bombs over Glasgow in WW2

Postby moonbeam » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:18 am

Yoker Brian.He spent a lot of time fire watching at a factory in Yoker. An example: Wed 24th March 1943. Air Raid 12.15-2.00 8 down out of 25 planes. Time accurate planes I dont think so. He was called up and his diary in London round June/July/August 1944 is more interesting with the V1 and V2s!
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ChrisR » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:37 am

Fantastic! - Thanks for the super quick responses.
Think you may have nailed it Moonbeam.
Much appreciated.
ChrisR
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby browning » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:37 pm

I'm so sincerely sorry to "dampen" commendable interest in the history of the tragic bombing of Clydebank in March 1941 and the previous anecdotal comments.
Records do however show that none of the bombers on the Clydebank raids were shot down. The only aircraft "down" (through damage) in the Glasgow "area" around that time was a JU88 much later in May 1941. This was south of Lennoxtown. It had been attacking Stevenston.
Hess's ME 110 did of course crash near Eaglesham a few days later in May 1941... albeit after he parachuted!
Please refer to my previous post on the JU88 crash in the "Bombs over Glasgow in WW2" for full details of the Lennoxtown incident.
Please do feel free to correct me if you think I am wrong.
Best wishes.
browning
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby moonbeam » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:01 pm

The Clydebank blitz mystery. Who tipped off the Germans to fly in at around the 12,000 feet level? Clydebank
had a lot of communists who at that time were on the German "side". Plus there was strikes and unrest with the appentices in the Clydebank area. By 5th6th7th May-the Greenock raid the Boulton Paul Defiant as a night fighter proved itself. I am fully aware any German planes "lost" on the nights of the Clydebank blitz were due to engine failure. Surprisingly I am old enough to recall the German planes. They made a distinctive engine noise. A sort of variable up and down hum.
As very small boys next day we went out looking for shrapnel to "trade" or show off. The night of 24th March 1943 actually stood out in the street to watch the German planes! Mad I know but dad was away at work fire watching and mum was asleep!!! One bizarre bit of army kit was a lorry with a sort of big boiler thing on the back-bit like a tar boiler-that ran up Great Western Road that was supposed to hide Clydebank with smoke if the wind came from the east. I also recall a Bofors gun mounted on a railway wagon that ran up and down the railway line round Clydebank. Never saw it working ie firing. It was sometimes parked in a siding at the Rothsey Dock. I also recall German POWs. They seemed to work on local farms. Does anyone else remember them? The ones I recall had a sort of black boiler suit with a purple diamond, triangle or circle on the back.Some of them were lads of only about 18. But this would be by 1944 or so. I think.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby browning » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:42 am

So sorry once again, but there were absolutely no Luftwaffe aircraft lost (for any reason) on either of the raids on Clydebank. None.
All the reference works on the subject confirm this.
Sorry.
browning
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:19 pm

Who tipped off the Germans to fly in at around the 12,000 feet level? Clydebank
had a lot of communists who at that time were on the German "side".

Name one.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:56 pm

Look up the record of Mr Kirkwood MP. Was it just luck the Germans lost no aircraft over two nights of heavy bombing? Why did the Germans know to fly in at around 12,000 feet. However I do have a note of an He111on the Clydebank raid 13/3/41shot down by AA fire. Re were the Germans tipped off? Its the same sort of arguement I heard when the RAF captured a North Korean MIG15 around 1951 and found the jet engine was a copy of those produced at Hillington and Derby. So did someone walk out with the plans? My fathers ARP/Home Guard notes are not to be relied on re planes down. I suspect for propaganda moral reasons the Home Guard/ARP chaps were feed information to make them feel wanted. They were doing a good job. Sitting all night on a factory roof with a bucket of sand and a stirrup pump then going to do a whole days job is pretty soul destroying. Also these people would probably pass on little snippets such as "Raid last night" "Heard one/or two etc down". Thus people etc could pass it on to their friends etc. But as far as time of raid then the time of all clear I think are fairly accurate. I dont want to name names but look up the record of John Smith/ Arnold Henderson and Finlay Hart on the old Clydebank Town Council.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:10 pm

And these records noted that they passed information onto the germans or are you confusing them with members of The Royal Family?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:24 pm

please sir,william joyce did it and ran away.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:36 pm

banjo wrote:please sir,william joyce did it and ran away.

Haw, Haw.

:D
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stevieboy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:41 pm

Don't know if anyone has posted it but my granny once told me the tennement across from Dalmarnock power station was hit and came down that space was empty for year probably still is.
Stevie
In the name o the wee man
stevieboy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby banjo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:26 pm

tom mckendrick gives a great account including every bomb pinpointed on a map.this includes unexploded bombs.it is for the clydebank blitz area only though.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby darrel » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:33 pm

clydebank liberary has a map showing every bomb that landed in the clydebank area very interestimg. shame there does not seem to be one for glasgow
http://darrels.smugmug.com/
darrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:30 pm

darrel wrote:clydebank liberary has a map showing every bomb that landed in the clydebank area very interestimg. shame there does not seem to be one for glasgow

Absolute bunkum, there is such a map for Glasgow. I have held it in my hands & seen it with my own eyes - its held at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow - 2nd Floor Archives Dept. All you have to do is sign in at the desk & request to see it.... It's how I got my information for bombs dropped in Yoker (see elsewhere in this thread)
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:49 pm

Have also seen the Glasgow maps. Plus there are aerial photos taken of the Drumchapel area around May/June 1941 where you can see bomb craters. See Garscadden anti aircraft site,look closely. There are other aerial photos in the Mitchel. I think one of these maps was on the Secret Scotland website or something similiar.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects