Am I the only one?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Am I the only one?

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:08 pm

You might expect a knowledge of the subjects you mention and others because they've been taught for years.

I'm not saying people don't know about contemporary Scottish literature because it isn't worth knowing about, but because it isn't actively promoted or taught anywhere in the education system.

I think Josef would accept his level of interest in contemporary Scottish literature is a bit unusual. Most folk don't get past Ian Rankin or Christopher Brookmyre - if indeed they get that far.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:20 am

On this week's Only Connect, the most esoteric quiz on television, during the Connecting Wall round the following combination appeared.Kon Tiki - Apache - Man Of Mystery - Foot Tapper.
The team's guess at the connection was that they are all rafts.Of course they are.

Fans of Elvis should note (and others be warned) that Felonious has purchased several Elvis film soundtracks from Fopp (£3.00 each) and will be playing them every Sunday on Sunny Govan radio.

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:21 pm

Does anyone on HG care even less than I do about the new Archbishop of Canterbury? Had it not been for the US election, this would have been the main story on BBC News last night and earlier this evening.
It's a page 8 story in today's Herald, I had to have a good look to find it in the Daily Record and it was the tenth item, yes tenth, I did count, on Radio nan Gaidheal this morning.
Why does Radio 4 think this is important.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:29 pm

There's probably a big chunk of R4's audience which think it is important, unlikely as it might seem from up here.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:54 pm

dimairt wrote:Does anyone on HG care even less than I do about the new Archbishop of Canterbury?

Durachdan,

Eddy

I was surprised to learn that the new head shaman went to the same school as the current PM ( what are the odds against that, eh? )
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:59 pm

Vinegar Tom wrote:
dimairt wrote:Does anyone on HG care even less than I do about the new Archbishop of Canterbury?

Durachdan,

Eddy

I was surprised to learn that the new head shaman went to the same school as the current PM ( what are the odds against that, eh? )

On the Now Show this evening they were comparing election systems: in the USA the government is decided by an electoral college, in the UK it's decided by Eton College.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:47 am

It's a Church/State thing.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:28 am

Yet another fat-arsed cretin on a pushbike nearly ramming me from behind on a public footpath. Flashed past me with about a quarter of an inch to spare, just about bringing on a cardiac arrest. This is happening nearly every day now. They are everywhere, on pavements and in public parks – an in your face display of alpha male arrogance. If bells are compulsory shouldn't the use of them be compulsory too? It's bad enough having to contend with pig-ignorant motorists who behave as if you simply don't exist. Being a pedestrian in this city is like being a Jew in Nazi Germany.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:39 pm

viceroy wrote:Yet another fat-arsed cretin on a pushbike nearly ramming me from behind on a public footpath. Flashed past me with about a quarter of an inch to spare, just about bringing on a cardiac arrest. This is happening nearly every day now. They are everywhere, on pavements and in public parks – an in your face display of alpha male arrogance. If bells are compulsory shouldn't the use of them be compulsory too? It's bad enough having to contend with pig-ignorant motorists who behave as if you simply don't exist. Being a pedestrian in this city is like being a Jew in Nazi Germany.

Ahem...you lost my sympathy there!
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:13 pm

ta for the reminder,i must get a bell for my bicycle.nazis indeed. 8O
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:31 pm

rabmania wrote:
viceroy wrote:Yet another fat-arsed cretin on a pushbike nearly ramming me from behind on a public footpath. Flashed past me with about a quarter of an inch to spare, just about bringing on a cardiac arrest. This is happening nearly every day now. They are everywhere, on pavements and in public parks – an in your face display of alpha male arrogance. If bells are compulsory shouldn't the use of them be compulsory too? It's bad enough having to contend with pig-ignorant motorists who behave as if you simply don't exist. Being a pedestrian in this city is like being a Jew in Nazi Germany.

Ahem...you lost my sympathy there!

I agree that the remark was rather on the strong side and in a calmer frame of mind – such as the one I am in now – I probably wouldn't have used it. However it was born out of utter frustration at a state of affairs I and many others are now having to put up with day after day without seemingly being able to do anything about it. The point I was making is that being a pedestrian, i.e. somebody who habitually travels from A to B on foot whether from choice or out of necessity, is to find yourself in a state of extreme vulnerability in an environment in which you are constantly treated as being less than human.

Incidentally, I wonder whether there are statistics showing the number of pedestrians actually injured by cyclists every year. I would find it hard to believe that this never happens.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:39 pm

I can't say I've ever been injured by a cyclist, or even nearly injured. I do hate seeing adult cyclists on pavements where there's a road, though.

"constantly treated as being less than human" seems like a hell of an exaggeration as well.
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:52 pm

Aye try riding a bike on a road. It might put it into perspective. Cyclist should be travelling at a speed where an "Excuse me" can be heard and acted upon if necessary. They should also say thank you.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:13 pm

A reminder from the Highway Code

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-5 ... w-59-to-71

You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.
Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:29 pm

yoker brian wrote:A reminder from the Highway Code

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-5 ... w-59-to-71

You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.
Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129

viceroy wrote:Yet another fat-arsed cretin on a pushbike nearly ramming me from behind on a public footpath.

Viceroy path to be shared or was it the pavement?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions