Reo Stakis Hotel, Drumchapel

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Reo Stakis Hotel, Drumchapel

Postby The_Clincher » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:00 pm

In my birthplace of Drumchapel, there used to be a Stakis owned Hotel (The Hills Hotel). Not sure who actually stayed there over night, but the bars were busy. Upstairs (in the actual hotel) the bar was ok, and sold edible enough food from a half decent menu. Downstairs was "The Rig" with oil rig based stencil/drawings at the entrance. The rig was more spartan, with a more "boisterous" (being careful there :)) crowd & atmosphere. Fights were the norm, and kids could be seen waitng outside on there Maws or Das with a bag of chips from the adjacent "Rinaldo's" chippy.

The building was used sparingly in the 1980's when it ceased to have the stakis association. Recently it was known as "The Mercat Theatre" and housed some local productions of plays etc and "batlle of the bands" type concerts. The building is now closed awaiting it's next stage of evolution.

I also have it on good authority that "The Brothers Bar" in Possil was also had a Stakis connection. The bar itself has a flat roof- i was informed that this was in the eventuality that "Stakis may decide to build hotel accomodation onto the roof". This would have been dependant on demand/economic success apparently.

So...any of you remember any of these? I will probably be in a position to provide some pics should they be required. :wink:
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DVF » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:44 am

Hi,

What street was this hotel on? There's not much left of the Drum now, it's all been flattened.

The Brothers is still going strong, as is the Comet (as featured in Robson and Jerome video) round the corner, how either is still standing is beyond me.

David.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DJB » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:03 pm

When I was at primary school we were taken on days out to the Mercat (i think around 1992-3 ish). It didn't last long from what I remember and you're right the building now lies empty.

It was on the outskirts of Drumchapel shopping centre, which is now just a collection of empty shops and unemployed alchoholics. :( Pretty grim stuff really...
DJB
DJB
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby escotregen » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:31 am

Clincher. I have long been fascinated with the little bit of social-economic background to the blossoming of the Stakis (and others') establishments of this sort all around Glasgow in the early sixties. Many of them were oddly called 'Motels' or 'Inns' (as in the 'Lincoln Inn'). Reason for this is that most were built as cash cows reaping in excellent profits from the working class folks in the surrounding housing schemes. Our wonderfully enlighted Glasgow Corporation made sure that these schemes were for a long time dry areas i.e. no licensed premises. It was sometimes just about possible (just about) to get an alcohol licence for an establishment in a dry area if it could show it was a hotel. Also, if it could be classified as a hotel it was permissable to open on Sundays when ordinary pubs were not allowed to. The consequence was a whole generation of such motels and inns with a nominal set of six or so rooms. One of my favourites was the Dalriada near the Tomkins garage on Edinburgh Road. I can still recall a superbly bad-corporate-taste interior design that was pure sixties (we used to sneak in from nearby St Andrews school at lunch times and steal the crisps laid on on tables - crisps on tables was sheer opulence unheard of then). It was decorated on the outside with some striking and no doubt expensive marble murals. I also know of another such exotic; the wonderfully named 'Casbah' in Easterhouse(but this was not a 'motel' so I'm going to stick this in the lost pubs thread)
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:30 pm

Excellent, esco....i never thought of the "dry area" angle......that would explain the presence of such a place in the Drum at the time....well done :wink:
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Reo Stakis Hotel, Drumchapel

Postby robertpool » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:04 pm

To see more info on the Hills Hotel / Rigg Bar, Drumchapel click on link below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool ... 385166546/
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby WeeGee » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:56 pm

The_Clincher wrote: Downstairs was "The Rig" with oil rig based stencil/drawings at the entrance. The rig was more spartan, with a more "boisterous" (being careful there :)) crowd & atmosphere. Fights were the norm, and kids could be seen waitng outside on there Maws or Das with a bag of chips from the adjacent "Rinaldo's" chippy.

I was a bit too young to drink in The Rig myself :wink: but my Dad went there now and then (think he preferred the Girnin Gates or the Butty) In fact one time in the Rig he got 'jumped' in the toilet and got his wages stolen!! It always looked a bit rowdy to me as a wee one walking past it coming back from the chippy!

PS my parents have got some photos taken in The Golden Garter (I think thats what it was called - the bar in the hills hotel) from the early 70's. Brilliant!
It's not how it looks....honest
WeeGee
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:16 pm

I went to a few STV shows from the Golden Garter in the 1970s. Most acts were forgettable except "Christian". I think I may have some photos from these times.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sunnysider » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:18 pm

Is The Peel still there?
Whaddya mean, keep down? Why, they couldn't hit an elephant from this dist-
sunnysider
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:24 pm

sunnysider wrote:Is The Peel still there?

Despite a fire a few years ago it's still there.

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:49 pm

still there and with a name change,il pelle.only open thurs til sun.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:20 pm

if anyone has any photos of the inside or outside of the 'Hills Hotel', 'The Rigg' or 'The Golden Garter', Drumchapel l would love to see them as l worked there from 1979 until its closure in 1988.

Bobby

ps forget the above link and go to this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool/6405064019/
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:51 pm

The Linkwood Bar. Now that was quite a place. The main bar on the left and the lounge on the right.
Richard Attenbourgh (?) called in to collect some charity collection. I think he was fully 45seconds in the place before
he was out and away. Once saw a guy get hit over the head with a tumbler. He slumped to the floor and at closing time some 2 hours later was still lying on the floor. They had a good ladies darts team and I was occasionally drafted in as a driver for another ladies team who occasionally played the Linkwood "girls".
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:19 pm

got such a bad reputation they changed the name to the broadholm.flattened a few years ago.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:37 am

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects