Glasgow Subway is 115 yrs Old Today!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow Subway is 115 yrs Old Today!

Postby yoker brian » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:09 pm

glasgowken wrote:
yoker brian wrote:
glasgowken wrote:Cheeky whipper snapper, I bought the first ticket ::):

And here's the evidence

My hair is never usually that shiny, must be the tar ::):

Archangel Tar with a hint of JoJoba ::):
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:34 am

yoker brian wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:I still hate journalists and people who should know better than to refer to The Underground or The Subway as the Clockwork Orange.

:D -

I agree with you Dex - as a born & bred Glaswegian,who can remember his last trips on the old pre-modernisation system, to me it will always be The Subway, I point blank refuse to call it The Underground or Clockwork Orange and god help anyone who has the audacity to even mention the words "The Tube" in my vicinity!

hear hear :twisted:
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:19 pm

Anyone notice lotsa emergency services people around Shields Rd earlier this evening? A training excercise by all accounts.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aye69 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:48 pm

EMERGENCY SERVICES RESPOND TO ‘CHEMICAL ATTACK’ ON CITY STATION

By RACHEL LOXTON

2 Apr 2012

A CHEMICAL attack caused chaos on Glasgow’s Subway ...

but it was all part of a large scale training exercise.

More than 200 emergency service workers gathered at Shields Road underground station last night to simulate a terrorist attack and test their response to it.

Thirty medical students volunteered to take on the roles of people suffering the effects of potentially fatal fumes.

They could be seen limping out of the station clutching each other for support and screaming.

The students were attended to by medics before officers wearing chemical biological radioactive and nuclear (CBRN) suits and respirators came to their aid.

Steve House, Chief Constable of Strathclyde Police, said: “With the Olympics, Parlaympics and indeed the Commonwealth Games firmly on our horizon this is the ideal opportunity for responders to demonstrate our commitment and readiness to deal with such an eventuality.”

that from evening times today
aye69
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:06 pm

I'm disappointed to read the Subway upgrade plans only include disabled access to St Enoch and Govan stations.

Disabled folk are being treated as second class citizens yet again :evil:
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrsix » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:10 pm

The Egg Man wrote:I'm disappointed to read the Subway upgrade plans only include disabled access to St Enoch and Govan stations.

Whereas I do agree that it is a shame, I don't think there's a lot that can be done at most stations as the platform layout rarely corresponds with the surface Station footprint above ground. It would be impossible to put lifts in for instance on the 'Island' type stations as the end near the station is the stairway and the other end is a trainlength away under other buildings. At the other stations, at best on some you might be able to sink a lift shaft and tunnel to the nearest platform.

I don't really know what you could expect them to do or how many extra tens of millions it would cost. There would also be a issue of wheelchair users on trains in emergency situations or breakdowns, the trains and tunnels are small enough as it is and they would have to be carried out.
The Psychogeographical Commission - Dystopian Folk for Dystopian Folk.

http://www.psychetecture.com
mrsix
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby motman » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:55 pm

mrsix wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:I'm disappointed to read the Subway upgrade plans only include disabled access to St Enoch and Govan stations.

Whereas I do agree that it is a shame, I don't think there's a lot that can be done at most stations as the platform layout rarely corresponds with the surface Station footprint above ground. It would be impossible to put lifts in for instance on the 'Island' type stations as the end near the station is the stairway and the other end is a trainlength away under other buildings. At the other stations, at best on some you might be able to sink a lift shaft and tunnel to the nearest platform.

I don't really know what you could expect them to do or how many extra tens of millions it would cost. There would also be a issue of wheelchair users on trains in emergency situations or breakdowns, the trains and tunnels are small enough as it is and they would have to be carried out.

I'm afraid I have to agree. On the London Underground umpteen millions have been spent to add facilities for wheelchair users to get to platforms and even then it has only happened in a handful of cases, during major redevelopment, usually of the surface facilities, when the additional cost can be bundled into the overall plan. They do of course indicate on their maps what stations are step free. In the central area it is generally a no-no, entirely due to the limited surface footprint.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:59 pm

I should have included a link to the Evening Times article http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/300m ... -1.1156649

"Director of projects Charlie Hoskins, said: “We have put an enormous amount of work into accessibility at the Subway and I am pleased to say we are able to instal lifts at St Enoch and Govan.

“We have had members of the public saying if we are spending all this money why are we not making the stations more accessible.

“However it is physically and operationally impossible as the whole Subway would be shut for two or three years and it would cost an extra £300m to do.”"

Note the physically and operationally impossible as the whole Subway would be shut for two or three years and it would cost an extra £300m to do

Not, It can't be done - just that it would be expensive and inconvenient.

Both are no doubt correct but 1) should we let that stop us? and 2) would it really require a total 2-3 year shut down? Couldn't one station be taken out of use at a time?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:21 pm

Why don't we just issue jet packs. it would be cheaper and they would be even more independent?

In a list of priorities for those with mobility issues where does a lift at every subway station sit?

Some way after proper access to buses?

Enough of a supplementary benefit for daily use of a taxi/

Maybe stopping the cuts in benefits they already receive?

Moving to a place with flat streets and everything you ever need within the range of a mobility scooter (troon?)

Having their families pay a higher council tax too pay for this.

I won't be syurpried if teh Nats include this in their pie in the sky manifesto.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:36 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Why don't we just issue jet packs. it would be cheaper and they would be even more independent?

In a list of priorities for those with mobility issues where does a lift at every subway station sit?

Moving to a place with flat streets and everything you ever need within the range of a mobility scooter (troon?)

I won't be syurpried if teh Nats include this in their pie in the sky manifesto.

Your final point would be deeply silly in and of itself even if it weren't rendered almost bizarre by the fact that it comes at the end of a disagreement between the two known HG staunch Labour Unionists.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:59 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:35 pm

Josef wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:Why don't we just issue jet packs. it would be cheaper and they would be even more independent?

Your final point would be deeply silly in and of itself even if it weren't rendered almost bizarre by the fact that it comes at the end of a disagreement between the two known HG staunch Labour Unionists.

I'm sure Dexter was merely being deliberately provocative and that there was nothing sinister in his comments.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:38 pm

Mori wrote:

That rather sums up the mentality involved here. We're planning to make the carriages accessible for wheelchair users but only if they want to travel between St Enoch and Govan.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:52 am

yoker brian wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:I still hate journalists and people who should know better than to refer to The Underground or The Subway as the Clockwork Orange.

:D -

I agree with you Dex - as a born & bred Glaswegian,who can remember his last trips on the old pre-modernisation system, to me it will always be The Subway, I point blank refuse to call it The Underground or Clockwork Orange and god help anyone who has the audacity to even mention the words "The Tube" in my vicinity!

Shock! Today's Evening Times has a story about the Subway and doesn't use the term C*******k O****e.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/shoo ... p.18946622
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:38 pm

the researcher wrote:i reckon he must be the only person in the glasgow area thats never been on the subway ::): ::):

I've only been on the Subway once and that was Ibrox to Buchanan St about four years ago. Never quite got the appeal of it. Crowds put me off going down there.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)