Duke Street Prison

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Duke Street Prison

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:19 pm

There were executions in Duke St so I reckon there'd have been burials.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:53 pm

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby An Taigh Sear 14 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:14 pm

The Egg Man wrote:There were executions in Duke St so I reckon there'd have been burials.

I guess so.

There is a happy land, doon Duke Street Jail, Where a' the prisoners stand, tied tae a nail. Ham an' eggs they never see, dirty watter fur yer tea; there they live in misery God Save the Queen!
An Taigh Sear 14
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby urbainespion » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:51 pm

The building work is for G.H.A. social housing flats. A new access road has been created off Burrell's Lane (named for the old hall nearby) which curves down onto Duke Street. Parts of the old prison wall have been demolished to allow for a block higher up the hill. By contrast to most claims there are still areas of the prison that remain in situ including the urban legend 'hanging tree' stump, the large retaining wall of the upper yard, evidence of stairs and of course the perimeter wall. You can even make out where the gates once were due to discrepancies in the stonework. Artifacts and information are on display in the People's Palace.

With regards to the burials issue, as was custom at the time, people who were executed were seen as being at the behest of the state and were interred within the prison walls in unmarked graves. I imagine they were exhumed and reburied elsewhere prior to closure of the prison.
"Aut disce aut discede" Anon.

Project Hawick: http://projecthawick.forumatic.com/index.php
urbainespion
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:03 pm

urbainespion wrote:.............
With regards to the burials issue, as was custom at the time, people who were executed were seen as being at the behest of the state and were interred within the prison walls in unmarked graves. I imagine they were exhumed and reburied elsewhere prior to closure of the prison.

Which rather prompts the question - where might they have been buried? Consecrated ground somewhere? Another prison?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby War Baby » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:32 am

Robert,
Those are terrific photos. I could be wrong but I think that first one is taken near the foot of the steep John Knox Street, just as you start up the hill. ....I was born in 1943 and I remember that the green SMT buses went up John Knox Street, and got to Buchanan Street bus station that way.

....One time, in the early to mid-fifties, I was upstairs on a tram going along Duke Street and was intrigued to see all the tiny cell windows of the prison and it made me wonder like hell about all the prisoners banged up in there.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby escotregen » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:26 am

An, whilst Duke Street prison was the national centre for executing capital punishment, the bodies were reputedly buried with in the precincts of the walled prison grounds (convicted murderers being denied Christian burial on consecrated ground. From what I previously gleaned it seems likely that the space between the remaining bas eof the perimeter wall on Duke Street and the flats just above, was left undeveloped as that is, reputedly, where some corpses were buried. That maybe ties in with the activity you witnessed.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:53 pm

War Baby wrote:Robert,
Those are terrific photos. I could be wrong but I think that first one is taken near the foot of the steep John Knox Street, just as you start up the hill. ....I was born in 1943 and I remember that the green SMT buses went up John Knox Street, and got to Buchanan Street bus station that way.

....One time, in the early to mid-fifties, I was upstairs on a tram going along Duke Street and was intrigued to see all the tiny cell windows of the prison and it made me wonder like hell about all the prisoners banged up in there.

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualm ... =2&t=4&x=1

here it is from a slighly different angle. I love how both of those photos show a chalk outline of goal posts on the different walls.

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualm ... =2&t=4&x=1

I'm guessing top right of this image is where the photo was taken from. You can just see the wee castle type tower highlighted and the black coating of Duke Street hasn't quite made it all the way to the junction as on the first photograph...
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:20 pm

What an excellent thread. Just a pity some of the early pics have gone walkabout.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:45 am

Don't know if the Execution took place in Duke Street but the report makes for interesting reading.

http://www.fmap.archives.gla.ac.uk/Case%20Files/Keenetc/Case_File5.htm

18th May, 1924 An appalling outrage was committed in Port Dundas, Glasgow, late on Saturday night when, in an outbreak of vicious hooliganism, Norrh Mohammed (27) was stabbed to death in a struggle with a gang of men. Mohammed who made a living by hawing drapery goods was approached by three men, who asked him to show them some jumpers and blouses. When Mohammed refused to do so he was beaten and stabbed. Police were called to the scene and Mohammed was taken to the Royal Infirmary, but he died before an operation could be performed.

20th May 1925: Ten persons, nine young men and one women were arrested by Glasgow Police in connection with Norrh Mohammed's murder.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)