Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Postby Bridie » Tue May 15, 2012 10:45 am

PaulK wrote:Latest video of Bonnie Prince Billy has him sauntering down Ashton Lane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -xSxWX7_-4

and very good it is too. This is the first I've heard (about) him. Any ideas why it was filmed here?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Tue May 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Found this on Family Bandstand site - note name of venue. Anyone remember this surely short-lived name?

"05 JUN 1970 Scotland, Glasgow, Temple of Peace (Green’s Playhouse) w/ Black Sabbath, Chicken Shack"

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.familybandstand.com/holding- ... ass/1970-2
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue May 15, 2012 11:59 pm

dimairt wrote:Found this on Family Bandstand site - note name of venue. Anyone remember this surely short-lived name?

"05 JUN 1970 Scotland, Glasgow, Temple of Peace (Green’s Playhouse) w/ Black Sabbath, Chicken Shack"

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.familybandstand.com/holding- ... ass/1970-2

It's a Googlewhack. The only online reference to Temple of Peace+Green's Playhouse is that gig. So pretty short lived. Tickets from October that year just say Green's Playhouse.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PaulK » Wed May 16, 2012 12:17 am

Bridie wrote:
PaulK wrote:Latest video of Bonnie Prince Billy has him sauntering down Ashton Lane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -xSxWX7_-4

and very good it is too. This is the first I've heard (about) him. Any ideas why it was filmed here?

He's recently played and recorded some stuff with Glasgow band Trembling Bells. You really should check him out. this is a rerecording of an old song of his that was also covered by Johnny Cash. He's odd, eccentric and brilliant. He has recorded as Palace, Palace Brothers, Will Oldham and the Bonnie Prince Billy names.
PaulK
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Guacho » Wed May 16, 2012 8:55 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
banjo wrote:dexter,is that john mannion aka the baron?

John Mannion of The Right Hand Band and here on Rickenbacker at the 40th re union http://flic.kr/p/8QGdmu

John also had a regular gig in the Iron Horse in the 70s as part of the duo 'Baytheus' :D
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Deram » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:45 pm

I'm trying to locate information about a Glasgow punk (or oi) band called SEDITION who released a single called "Royal Command" b/w "Prat Music", in about 1981. Googling doesn't seem to throw up too much, but for some reason I'm sure I'd heard they were loosely connected to 7:84 Theatre group. Or that might have been something else, my memory isn't what it used to be.

Any help appreciated - and if anyone can help me find the single, that would be even MORE appreciated!
Deram
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:19 pm

You are only 21, ffs! :D
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:07 pm

Deram wrote:I'm trying to locate information about a Glasgow punk (or oi) band called SEDITION who released a single called "Royal Command" b/w "Prat Music", in about 1981. Googling doesn't seem to throw up too much, but for some reason I'm sure I'd heard they were loosely connected to 7:84 Theatre group. Or that might have been something else, my memory isn't what it used to be.
g
Any help appreciated - and if anyone can help me find the single, that would be even MORE appreciated!

Bit of a long shot Deram but I know that Terry Neeson,the singer was in the 7:84 group she sang/performed with Dave Pratt(?) among others - I'm sure they must have dipped their toes in Punk at some point ::): here's a link to a performance at the Tron in 1981(second down)

http://www.nls.uk/collections/british/t ... e.cfm?t=63

let you know if I find something more specific.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Deram » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:30 pm

Bridie wrote:Bit of a long shot Deram but I know that Terry Neeson,the singer was in the 7:84 group she sang/performed with Dave Pratt(?) among others - I'm sure they must have dipped their toes in Punk at some point ::): here's a link to a performance at the Tron in 1981(second down)

Thanks for that! I'll try some more research now... 8)
Deram
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sandy Robertson » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:27 am

Before I left Glasgow to become a rock journalist, I remember the hilarity caused by the renaming of Green's as Temple of Peace. I seem to recall that the Maryland Ballroom (hardly room to swing one ball) where I saw Kevin Ayers, Mott The Hoople and others, also had a daft name but everyone still called it the Maryland. Anyone recall what it was? Sandy Robertson
Sandy Robertson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:17 pm

In Forgotten Pubs and Clubs thread Sandy you may find a reference to The Glasgow Arts Lab which some heavy smoking hippies seem to think was the new name for the Maryland. The Maryland hosted a club night of that name when fund raising for a new arts centre in Glasgow. That was opened in Sauchiehall Street as The Third Eye Centre. When it went bust it was replaced by the Centre for Contemporary Arts and a few years ago they expanded above and behind taking over the old Bundoran club space and the site of the Maryland.

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26&hilit=Maryland&start=555

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sandy Robertson » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:35 pm

Nah, this was when Maryland itself was having bands like Edgar Broughton, circa 1969 - 70, and it was a name like Hell or Hades, some mock-Satanic bumf. It never caught on with punters, who continued to refer to it as Maryland. It was a great place - the manager wore a suit and bow tie and once got onstage with Kevin Ayers, wielding an acoustic guitar and offering to jam. He was a good egg, and would let people in for less than full price if they were skint.
Sandy Robertson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Bridie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:20 am

There was a record shop called Hades in Bath St.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1506&start=105

I worked in Virgin records in Argyle Street and the manager was also DJ at the Maryland a guy called Mick/MIke - ring any bells?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sandy Robertson » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:15 am

Sorry, no. I remember bands had to walk through the audience sitting on floor to get to the stage, and admission was 50p to a quid depending on the band. It started late, luke 11pm so you never got home until about 3 or 4 in the morning. Happy daze.
Sandy Robertson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Pointyears » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:53 pm

Bridie wrote:
robertpool wrote:got that one

anybody know what became of Rab McQuillan the drummer?

From the "BoonyBanny Blog":

" Wallace Cameron of Sneeky Pete sadly passed away in 2007. His sons were in bands with the same cult following as Sneeky Pete - Ewan Cameron was bass player for influentially dark metal band Ordog in the mid 1990s while Colin Cameron played guitar for East Kilbride based band 'Speeder', fronted by Scott Mccluskey (now an online restaurant critic) who landed a John Peel session in 2000 and released a single called 'According to You' in the same year (called, 'Accordion Hugh' on the cover because of a misunderstanding of the song vocals by a studio technician at Riverside in Busby)
Very sadly, Colin passed away due to leukaemia in 2010 leaving the Cameron family understandably devastated."

A sad tale - I think 'SP' are also mentioned in Robert Field's book.
Pointyears
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects