Gangs of Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Gangs of Glasgow

Postby banjo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:46 am

and of course matt mcginn wrote a song called frankie vaughan to commemorate the event.i will post the lyrics later.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:25 am

Pathe News clip of Frankie Vaughan in Easterhouse.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/easte ... ry/glasgow
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:28 am

frankie vaughan by wee matt is on you tube. :D
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doug » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:46 pm

Frankie Vaughen is now my hero, I'll need to go oot noo and see if ah can find one o his records 8O
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dimairt » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:32 pm

Doug wrote:Frankie Vaughen is now my hero, I'll need to go oot noo and see if ah can find one o his records 8O

Don't!

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:42 pm

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:10 pm

The Herald's From the archives column today records the funeral, 50 years ago, of William Fullerton: "King Billy" of the "Brigton BIlly Boys".
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doug » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:55 am

Thanks Dext for the little video....Frankie's no bad, Ah quite enjoyed that... cheers :)
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dimairt » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:40 pm

Laughed out loud in Waterstone's the other day on seeing the 'classic' , "A Glasgow Gang Observed" by James Patrick back in print, yours for £9.99. I had a quick look, thought about it and put it back. Is it as bad as I recall?

Durachdan,
Eddy

"In the 1960's a 26-year-old schoolmaster at a Scottish reformatory (List D) School, under the alias of James Patrick, went undercover with the help of one of his pupils to study the often violent behaviour of the teenagers in a gang in Glasgow. He managed to conceal his identity and motives and during the course of a four-month assignation in 1966 he observed closely the gang members and concluded that the boys were 'afraid of fighting other gangs but more afraid of not fighting them.' Ultimately it was 'the struggle between identification with the boys and abhorrence of their violence that forced me to quit.' This book became one of the first published observations of a Glasgow gang and as such has stood the test of time as a number of factors that Patrick identified as contributing to the growth of gang culture still remain in existence today, most crucially poverty, grim housing conditions and unemployment. This is a portrait of gang culture before the drug barons moved in and created another level of violence and as such it deserves its cult status. The republication of the book follows closely behind Peter Mullan's highly rated film 'Neds' which portrays a Glasgow gang in the 1970s."
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:12 pm

I bought this copy of Time magazine from May 1973 on Ebay.It has a feature about Glasgow and makes for interesting reading in an 'as others see us' way.

Durachdan,

Eddy

dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby morry01 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:26 am

I lived at Georges X in 1967 Maryhill Rd No 24 as a teenager, remember gangs Fleet Junior and Senior, Toi, Tongs used to hang out my window which was across from the billiard hall at the X saw many a gang fight there. I spent lot of time in Cromwell Street which ran through to Gt Western Road. where there were many a running street fight with Fleet/Tongs ah the misplaced youth. ::):

would love to hear from anyone from that time and area especially.
morry01
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Targer » Thu May 08, 2014 9:53 pm

I never see any mention of "The Pepper".
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby the researcher » Tue May 13, 2014 11:28 am

My grandparents (mums mum and dad) lived at shields road number 17 and i can remember tongs ya bass sprayed on the wall of the bridge which goes over what used to be the railway line down to the iron ore terminus as far as i can remember it was first on there in the sixties and was still on the wall when my granny gave up her house in 1977 there were also gang slogans sprayed on various walls down paisley road but TONGS YA BASS is the one which sticks most in my mind
dundee also had gangs as well the most famous being a gang called hilltoon huns and again like the glasgow gangs they also sprayed their logos on walls
reverting back to glasgow most or nearly all the shops on paisley road had wire mesh on their windows to stop them getting smashed but from what i can remember i dont think the shop owners every had the windows washed as they were absolutely filthy as was the wire mesh.
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dimairt » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:46 pm

dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:47 pm

What was the Gang for Dalmarnock in the 90s? Was that the Baltic Fleet?
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)