Glasgow Bakers

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow Bakers

Postby dimairt » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:22 am

I make my own bread but buy fresh yeast at Tapa in Dennistoun. Their bread is very good, bit dearer than the supermarkets but the difference in quality is obvious.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.tapabakehouse.com/
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow Family Bakerys

Postby InkMan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:09 pm

scaryman2u wrote:
Fireman wrote:Not exactly Glasgow, but East Kilbride -

There's a wee bakery in Old Coach Road opposite the petrol station that times their Scotch pies to be ready for lunch-time and even if I say so myself they are the dogs danglies. :D

Absolutely agree with this, they are the best Scotch pies that i`ve tasted.

The guy that run the business chucked it after, I believe, about forty years about eight or nine months ago. The place that has replaced it is still very good though.

To be honest, I don't know how the guy and his lovely wife ever made a profit. Everything was top quality and amazingly plentiful. A couple of rolls and bacon, a roll with sausage and black pudding, a nice bride and a big confection - as I said all of which was just full to the brim with fillings - would see you walking away with change from a fiver.

Fair play to the people who took over the shop. At the best of times replacing a longstanding business is difficult but when it was so good it took real guts. Still an amazing place.

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fireman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:14 pm

Oh no Shuggy! :(

I never missed dropping into Ian's when I was in EK, just shows you how long its been since I was last up there.

I worked across the road in Sprint Tyres back in the 1980's and remember one of the girls who was at the front counter ordering a roll & bacon, egg, sausage, potato scone and beans every morning and she never put on a pound - I hated her! ::):
You can take the man out of Maryhill, but you can't take Maryhill out of the man.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby InkMan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:16 pm

I wonder if anyone can help me here. When I was about fifteen, which is almost twenty five years ago now, I used to go to a bakers in Partick for an elderly neighbour for a bread that was made with loads of egg and had very soft texture. I remember the shop being referred to as a Jewish bakery.

It may have been in Hyland Street. Any idea of the name of the bakers or the name of the type of loaf?

Thanks as always

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Rucola » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:34 pm

The bread sounds like challah. Don't know of a Jewish bakery though. In the early 1990s there was a German bakery on Hyndland Street called Das Brot.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby InkMan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:43 pm

That's the bread Rucola; thanks mate.

Shuggy
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:25 pm

Rucola wrote:The bread sounds like challah. Don't know of a Jewish bakery though. In the early 1990s there was a German bakery on Hyndland Street called Das Brot.

And a decade later too.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:55 am

InkMan wrote:I wonder if anyone can help me here. When I was about fifteen, which is almost twenty five years ago now, I used to go to a bakers in Partick for an elderly neighbour for a bread that was made with loads of egg and had very soft texture. I remember the shop being referred to as a Jewish bakery.

It may have been in Hyland Street. Any idea of the name of the bakers or the name of the type of loaf?

Thanks as always

Shuggy

If it was the jewish bakery it would have been the 'Star' bakery it was the only kosher one left in Glasgow but shut some years ago.
I meant to add if you still want to get that bread there is a deli in Giffnock that sells it. Brings it up from Manchester
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:09 pm

Any sightings of Paris Buns? :?
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Mori » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:10 pm

Used to be a good bakery in Albert drive right next to the Lord darnley pub had a side entrance to the basement downstairs kitchen through the close next to it... i rember comming back from a late night party one saturday morning asking to buy some stuff at about 4 am, the baker chap just gave me a load of tawtie scones and rolls and bakery stuff and said have a nice breakfast, that was so nice of him, early 80s i think... cant remeber the name of the bakery i think its a charity shop now.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:50 pm

Fossil wrote:Any sightings of Paris Buns? :?

Seen some Belgian Buns in Denholms in Motherwell
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:55 pm

RDR wrote:

No Paris Buns then?
Fossil
-
-

Postby Fossil » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:55 pm

RDR wrote:

No Paris Buns then?
Fossil
-
-

Postby Fireman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:11 pm

Just Kaiser biscuits. :wink:
You can take the man out of Maryhill, but you can't take Maryhill out of the man.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects