Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Tenement Life

Postby johnboy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:57 pm

johnboy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:40 pm

Sunflower wrote:Ah, that makes sense - so if they don't get permission and the downstairs people complain there's a stick to beat them with.

(Or if they know they should have got permission, at least they'll be tip-toeing around in their socks, so it's all good.)

With hard floors it's more a question about the asking for permission being an opportunity to remind people of the potential for noise and unhappy neighbours.

With things like installing a wet room, it's more about ongoing liability should the tenant die or move out.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: tenement life

Postby dingdong » Tue May 08, 2012 6:14 pm

mairead wrote:Tamandee,
Do you remember the old Melrose cafe that was on Maryhill Road near the library and just near Lochburn road end. It was owned by the J'aconelli family. They had another one at Queens Cross. And the old Burgh Halls. I passed there recently and they are in a sad state now. How about the Roxy cinema. Do you remember it or was it pulled down before you lived in Burnhouse St. Gawd but you have set my mind working trying to remember the place as it was when I was a child, 50 plus years ago.

I think they also had the Falcon cafe up near Lennies shop near where Shiskine drive meets Maryhill road the Falcon was huge inside I used get a bottle of raspberryade from it on the way to play football in Maryhill park right next to the putting green,on the way back would cut thru the fields by the stinky burn up to gillshie that was before Summerston or the high flats at top of glenburn.st/thornton st.
dingdong
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby scott125 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:04 pm

The West End VS Southside , which area has the most tenements? I think the West End.
scott125
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue May 08, 2012 10:42 pm

One view of the South Side :wink:

I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scott125 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:54 pm

East End , West End , Southside and the North? ::): ::):

Theres not much to the North.
scott125
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby dingdong » Wed May 09, 2012 12:14 pm

Just think how good Maryhill would look if ALL the red sandstone tenaments from St Georges cross up to Maryhill cross had been kept and done up like the ones in the west end.
dingdong
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby dimairt » Wed May 09, 2012 1:00 pm

dingdong wrote:Just think how good Maryhill would look if ALL the red sandstone tenaments from St Georges cross up to Maryhill cross had been kept and done up like the ones in the west end.

Good point dingdong. Have a look at the only tenement left on the first part of Garscube Rd for an example of what might have been, especially in comparison to the already decaying modern building next door.
Should point out though that many of the tenements in this area were beyond saving thanks to absentee owners and couldn't-care-less factors. The properties in Oakbank St. were condemned in the early 1900s but still in use in the late 1960s.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed May 09, 2012 1:21 pm

I want them all back. :|

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dingdong » Thu May 10, 2012 5:39 am

dimairt wrote:
dingdong wrote:Just think how good Maryhill would look if ALL the red sandstone tenaments from St Georges cross up to Maryhill cross had been kept and done up like the ones in the west end.

Good point dingdong. Have a look at the only tenement left on the first part of Garscube Rd for an example of what might have been, especially in comparison to the already decaying modern building next door.
Should point out though that many of the tenements in this area were beyond saving thanks to absentee owners and couldn't-care-less factors. The properties in Oakbank St. were condemned in the early 1900s but still in use in the late 1960s.

Durachdan,

Eddy

The one I still find it strange that the building at Maryhill cross was ever allowed to be knocked down after all these years its still a gap sight,with the Kelvin dock area and canal done up that building would have commanded byres rd prices.
dingdong
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu May 10, 2012 11:59 am

Maryhill Road, towards Queens X, really has changed beyond all recognition from the late 70's when I regularly plodded up there going to Firhill.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Sun May 13, 2012 3:42 pm

Bridie wrote:
Delmont St Xavier wrote:I have an old fashioned seperate sound system with the loudest speakers and I am currently tempted to climb up into the communal loft space and put both speakers face down on the floor. Then come back down stairs and blast at full volume and full bass levels 'Sydney Devine' or 'Jimmy Shand' but the problem is I don't have either!

Maybe if I did this, the c**t upstairs would actually get the message!

May I offer this;

warning (Dex)
this video contains bad spelling,bad use of apostrophe and mild talent (?)

ive got dogs singing jingle bells which i use to get rid of telesales phone callers or the ones who phone up saying there is a virus in your computer i played the dogs singing jingle bells for 10 minutes while i boiled the kettle and made a coffee and when i spoke into the phone the bugger was still there so i hung up and he had the audacity to phone back again so i told him to bugger off i was having my tea so far they havent phoned back thank goodness
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun May 13, 2012 8:52 pm

Some more replies to use;
"Look I'm sorry but my partner has just told me he's got some tart pregnant"
or
"What you don't realise is this is a MLDE (any letters will do) property and you shouldn't be even speaking to me"
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doug » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:18 pm

although i was born and raised in a tenement ah was a wee laddie and dont remember that much, however when i was older in the late 50's to late 60's and was working I spent a lot of my time in and oot of govan tenements. I well remember the auld ranges you cooked on and the lavy on the stair landing and the middens oot at the back. There were a lot of families who lived near to each other so there was a lot of popping in and oot of each others flats and looking after the weans and that sort of thing. However i also remember a lot of squabbles between neighbours as well and life was generally hard going but when they started moving people from the tenements to the new housing schemes most folks couldnt wait to get on the list for a new house. The folks who did (in their thousands) move to the new estates enjoyed their new houses but the one thing they did miss, big time, was their neighbours and families and local shops (in those days not many working folk had cars) and that spoiled the enjoyment and some people would have given anything to go back to their old life again but by then it was too late
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dot » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:25 pm

What are the rules if you want something taken away by Glasgow City Council?

I have seen black bags out at the kerb but yet I was told that you can be fined a four figure sum for doing that.
Are you not supposed to leave items in back court and tell Council in advance that you want them removed?
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)