Hidden Cumbernauld.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hidden Cumbernauld.

Postby Beavis64 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:11 pm

Icecube wrote:Douglas Alexander has an unsurpassable collection of pre new town photos in his Flickr allbums.

Look at Stirling Road in 1956 HERE

and a view which includes the two storey building and bridge in question from 1958 HERE

Edit: add

A73 construction, 1967

Douglas Alexander has some great pics in his huge collection, just wish he had taken more pics of each area of the town being developed and the road network being built up beside all the old roads, etc.,
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Beavis64 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:12 pm

DavidMcD316 wrote:does anyone remember the bridge between seafar and carbrain used to be made of wood!!

I used to walk over that bridge when I went to school in St Mary's David, remember it well. Sadly it was replaced with a modern 'safe' bridge..
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Icecube » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:25 pm

Beavis64 wrote:
Icecube wrote:Douglas Alexander has an unsurpassable collection of pre new town photos in his Flickr allbums.

Look at Stirling Road in 1956 HERE

and a view which includes the two storey building and bridge in question from 1958 HERE

Edit: add

A73 construction, 1967

Douglas Alexander has some great pics in his huge collection, just wish he had taken more pics of each area of the town being developed and the road network being built up beside all the old roads, etc.,

Aye mores the pity but I'm sure the Dev. Corp archive will have plenty. Need to go to Motherwell though to peruse them now.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DavidMcD316 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:43 am

Beavis64 wrote:
DavidMcD316 wrote:does anyone remember the bridge between seafar and carbrain used to be made of wood!!

I used to walk over that bridge when I went to school in St Mary's David, remember it well. Sadly it was replaced with a modern 'safe' bridge..

l also went to st marys, but lived in seafar, used to go over the bridge to visit cousins in carbrain.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby olderbutnotwiser » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:10 pm

applemaca wrote:uploaded a few more......... http://www.flickr.com/photos/applemaca/ ... hotostream

Abronhill 1968/69 by Applemaca, on Flickr

Brings it all back. I moved from Corbiston way, to Medlar road. Local enough to mean I could still play on the "Pipey" all day . . used to go from behind the high school, all the way along to broom road from what I remember.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
olderbutnotwiser
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Beavis64 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:26 pm

Some photos of old cumbernauld ..

Cumbernauld Station Village

Cumbernauld Station Village by Beavis64, on Flickr

Cumbernauld Station School

Cumbernauld Station School by Beavis64, on Flickr

Cumbernauld Railway Station

Cumbernauld Railway Station by Beavis64, on Flickr
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby DavidMcD316 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:28 am

great pics ive not seen before beavis :)
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Beavis64 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks David, i've got more to upload when i get the time to do it..
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby DavidMcD316 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:41 am

anyone know what happened to the golden eagle hotel ?

when did it shut down and why ?

for me always seemed a weird place to have a hotel, but it couldnt have been up long before it was bulldozed to make way for the successful 'Ice House'
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby appleofglasgow » Wed May 09, 2012 9:49 pm

Hi mate.

It was due to a fire and it was totally damaged beyond repair.

'Everything centres on the centre itself' is the quote from Magnusson. The entire vision of Copcutt, was that everything would be under one roof. The centre was initially to stretch half a mile...though as my short video reveals, the visionary was booted out after Phase 1 and muppets left to build the sheds that attached onto it thereafter.

Recently reignited my interested for this place I want some decent video gear to get back up and make a better stab at a mini docu-thing.
appleofglasgow
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby DavidMcD316 » Thu May 10, 2012 8:23 am

appleofglasgow wrote:Hi mate.

It was due to a fire and it was totally damaged beyond repair.

'Everything centres on the centre itself' is the quote from Magnusson. The entire vision of Copcutt, was that everything would be under one roof. The centre was initially to stretch half a mile...though as my short video reveals, the visionary was booted out after Phase 1 and muppets left to build the sheds that attached onto it thereafter.

Recently reignited my interested for this place I want some decent video gear to get back up and make a better stab at a mini docu-thing.

watching the documentary, if they stuck to the plan it may have well worked.
stupid sheds like the ice house (boarded up for about 20 years) and of course the antonine centre are horrific.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby appleofglasgow » Thu May 10, 2012 9:20 pm

Copcutt was a visionary, from the little excerpts we have of him post-Cumbernauld, you could tell that he blames its overall failure on the fact that he seen Cumbernauld as a 10 piece jigsaw with only the edge pieces in place.

Even if he had his way though, I doubt Cumbernauld would see appreciation.

You only have to look at the Tricorn centre in Portsmouth, which was a not dissimilar construction that eventually succumbed to the modern hate for concrete.

Problem is its highly unfashionable to appreciate any architecture from about 1955 onwards. Concrete is associated with run down, depressing, dumps and deprivation.

There are only a select few, and I'm not being a snob or by any means up myself when I say that, that can see that Cumbernauld with some TLC and a fresh outlook could be stripped back to the important Copcutt led section, the section that won a worldwide architecture award. It has been said, that such a structure in a mainland European country would have been gutted and rennovated by now.

Sadly though, I can see the countdown clock ticking for what remains of Phase 1 (as I sadly forget that an extremely large percentage of what Copcutt did achieve, was demolished to make way for a biege wall in the form of the Antonine...people never learn).

Ryan
appleofglasgow
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby steviewilson » Fri May 11, 2012 12:44 am

Anyone got any pics of Ravenswood area, or info when it was built etc. I live there now (since 1998) but come from Kirky originally. Early memories of Cumbernauld are my dad taking me and my sister to the pics around 1981 to see Any Which Way You Can with clint Eastwood (right turn Clyde), going shopping in Woolco, driving up thru craigmarloch and dullater when I got my first job in 1988 as a blacksmith / fencer and some estates just being built, long before Tesco.
steviewilson
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby DavidMcD316 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:47 pm

Y pics of phase 3 in its hayday anywhere?
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Beavis64 » Tue May 22, 2012 7:07 pm

Try googling Pollockshole, Bogedge, or Ravenswood House.
Some info on the beginnings of Ravenswood and seafar.

steviewilson wrote:Anyone got any pics of Ravenswood area, or info when it was built etc. I live there now (since 1998) but come from Kirky originally. Early memories of Cumbernauld are my dad taking me and my sister to the pics around 1981 to see Any Which Way You Can with clint Eastwood (right turn Clyde), going shopping in Woolco, driving up thru craigmarloch and dullater when I got my first job in 1988 as a blacksmith / fencer and some estates just being built, long before Tesco.
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects