BLOCK Architecture Festival - The HG submission

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Ronnie » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:35 pm

I think the missing [xxx*] is quite good really, and actually makes a kind of visual joke about the title of the leaflet. That could be our excuse, anyway.

*Not giving away the missing thing, letting others continue the game ...
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:43 pm

Look there it isn t.....i get it!

JamesMc.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: BLOCK Architecture Festival - The HG submission

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:34 pm

Last chance to save this before it's lost.

The British Linen Bank Gorbals

According to the Govan Press the Southside Housing Association are having another look at using it for their offices.

I await the self styled Taxpayers alliance comments.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:36 pm

I really hope it dont get bulldozed :x
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby RDR » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:38 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Last chance to save this before it's lost.

According to the Govan Press the Southside Housing Association are having another look at using it for their offices.

If my memory is right that building was next door to Gorbals Baths and round the corner from a moumental masons.
I'm sure it served as Frank McElhones consituency offices when he was the MP for the Gorbals in the 70's.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Last chance to save this before it's lost.

Development History

April 1995: Southside Housing Association is granted permissions to refurbish the property as flats. Historic Scotland grant funding has been allocated to the project.

February 1998: External inspection reveals the property to be in poor condition. Funding awards for the Southside Housing Association proposals have now lapsed and the project will not proceed at present.

2002: Local planners report that the building lies within the area being considered for regeneration by the Lauriston Development Steering Group.

February 2003:Historic Scotland and Glasgow City Council have allocated £100,000 to a project to rehabilitate the building. A feasibility study is to be produced.

November 2004: Local planners report that consolidation works have been carried out and the building is regularly inspected by Southside Housing Association. The future of the building will be addressed in the New Lauriston Masterplan, which will be published in July 2005.

November 2007: External inspection reveals the building is in very poor condition. The boarding, which has been in place for many years, is deteriorating. GBPT are developing a partnership with Southside Housing Association (with support from Glasgow City Council) and hope to deliver an Options Appraisal during Spring 2008.

November 2010: External inspection finds the building remains derelict and in very poor condition. It is exceptionally damp throughout. The window boarding appears to be in need of renewal. Glasgow Building Preservation Trust completed an options appraisal for Southside Housing Association. However, it is understood the Association is, in conjunction with another housing association, considering a larger scale enabling development taking in the Lauriston area.

Unfortunately, I think it's used up its last chances.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:35 pm

Its actualy been included as part of the Laurieston Masterplan.

But good news of the SSH using it for its offices, really hpappy to hear that, thanks Dex. :D

Would love to get inside of that building for a wee look.

Thread on the redevelopment of Goarbals/Laurieston on SSC GMA. 8)

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects