Lost Comic Shops of Glasgow.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lost Comic Shops of Glasgow.

Postby pjbarnard » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:00 pm

ok comic shops then

well first off
Forbidden Planet

Forbidden planet was started by a guy called jim hamilton, Forbidden planet before where it is now started off at comic mart above the i think its call city halls above the candelriggs market and grew from there then moved to buchanan street

Next

Futureschock
that was started by two guys, one guy is the precent owner on woodlands road the other one was a guy called jim campbelll as far as i know they had a falling out and it moved it used to be painted red and was one street up from chancelor st and byres road

Next
can remember the name of the place or the guy, but aroung the early 1990's there was a comic shop on the hight street on the right hand side going up only lasted a year or so

Next
the old Virgin store on union street once had a comic shop in the basement

Next
there was one in decourceys arcade upstars

Next another one in the Virgina Galleries

Next
another wee guy at the barras in the corner he was there for years under the old washrooms

Next
A1 Books and comics before it was A1 it was called AKA books and comics orignally owned buy two guys one partner a guy called pete if i remember took to the bottle and they split selling it at auction to a guy called david burns who renamed it A1 books and comics, they then open another A1 on Great Weastern Road and Also another called Static in the Argyle Market

Comic marts Started off above the candelriggs, then moved to, the mitchell libuary (icant spell that) for a while
then they moved to the arches for a while they dissapeared for a while the were broughht back by a guy called (bollocks cant remember his name) anyways that guy actually owns marlin munroes dress the white one i have seen it and at the time he had a massive wearhouse in lockerbie he went on to bring us Colectormania as its caled now he everntually sold out to the big event people (christ what was his name)

anyways all these comic shops were around late 80s - mid 90's

futureshock, forbidden planet, and A1 books and comics being the only big ones left (what was that guys bloddy name)

anyways hope this helps a little.....

best
pjbarnard
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby dazza » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:17 pm

pjbarnard wrote:anyways that guy actually owns marlin munroes dress the white one i have seen it

No he doesn't! Debbie Reynolds still owns it after buying it at the 20th Century Fox auction in the 70's.
dazza
-
-

Postby the researcher » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:09 pm

cpmpletely off thread here i know but i know someone who knows the guy who owns the scooter phil daniels rode in the film quadphrenia apparently its stored in a warehouse in aberdeen
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Grahame » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:20 pm

pjbarnard wrote:(what was that guys bloody name)

Neil something-or-other, I think.
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Goliath » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:41 am

pjbarnard wrote: Comic marts Started off above the candelriggs, then moved to, the mitchell libuary (icant spell that) for a while
then they moved to the arches for a while

I remember one at the McLellan Galleries in the late 80s, then they seemed to be at the City Hall in the Candleriggs fairly regularly before moving on to the Mitchell Library for a while.

I also remember being at one comic mart in the first half of 1994 (I'm sure of the date because I remember where I was working at the time) that was held in the top floor of the building that now houses TK Maxx in Argyle Street, I think it may have been a Woolworths restaurant at one time, maybe some one can confirm/correct me there?
Goliath
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Mori » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:36 am

Can anyone tell me or knows if the red outlined shop was the comic shop on Govan road during the 60s/70s, its either there or the block running further east nearer the harland and wolf shed, got this image from facebook earlier and not so sure about the location of the comic shop, the guy that ran the shop had a huge bulbious nose was the characteristic that i can remember him by as a boy ::):, the shop done an exchange of DC/ Marvel comics with a small charge of the old 1d/2d, the brand new comics were either 3d or 6d for the compendiums or special issues.

This image is shot from orkney st opposite from the old police station and the now fire station is in the place where all the cars are parked.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:30 am

no idea mori ,great pic though.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PaulK » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:43 am

It was certainly in that area, I seem to remember it being about half way between the cross and the shipbuilding shed. Sorry, I know that doesn't help much.
PaulK
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby PaulK » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:59 am

doing some googling I found a picture on a similar site that mentioned the comic shop being near to Stag Street where kai Johanson's pub was. There's a picture http://tinyurl.com/bt68eh5. Hopefully I'm allowed to post this link
PaulK
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:31 am

PaulK wrote:doing some googling I found a picture on a similar site that mentioned the comic shop being near to Stag Street where kai Johanson's pub was. There's a picture http://tinyurl.com/bt68eh5. Hopefully I'm allowed to post this link

Thanks PaulK, that could be the actual block i was thinkin on which is further on next to the H&W Shed where the comic shop was, my uncle had a shop in that row also in the 60's... such a lovely building that one with the cone shaped corner rook which has been demolished and of course the further up Napier House also now gone :|
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:44 pm

Interesting - who was Kai Johanson?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:48 pm

dazza wrote:
pjbarnard wrote:anyways that guy actually owns marlin munroes dress the white one i have seen it

No he doesn't! Debbie Reynolds still owns it after buying it at the 20th Century Fox auction in the 70's.

Not any more - Deb's feeling the pinch

http://news.sky.com/home/showbiz-news/article/16014695
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:51 pm

Bridie wrote:Interesting - who was Kai Johanson?

Danish footballer, played for Morton and subsequently Rangers in the 60s. Johansen rather than Johanson.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:56 pm

Hard to believe it was that long ago.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Josef wrote:
Bridie wrote:Interesting - who was Kai Johanson?

Danish footballer, played for Morton and subsequently Rangers in the 60s. Johansen rather than Johanson.

Ahh right I thought it was a bit more romantic than that - a retired Danish sea captain who fell in love with a Glasgow girl .......and then opened a pub :)
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects