Tenement Life

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Tenement Life

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:53 pm

Mori wrote:or gettin a piece 'n jam thrown oot the back windae by yer maw when you were hungry.

Let's not forget to credit the author, Adam McNaughtan, a true master wordsmith.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:56 am

Bridie wrote:Do you have to put some sort of sound proofing underneath laminate flooring if you live in a tenement?

If only!

- But it's quite a difficult question - if there were such a requirement, how could it be implemented? Would everyone have to get planning permission before changing their floors? Would the floor police come rushing in to take up the offending laminate?

Besides, making sound proofing work for impact noise is technically difficult too.

And what about kitchens? Hard floor coverings are the only sensible thing for kitchens, but there's a lot of walking about that goes on there.

Come to think of it, if intrusive leglislation is the answer, I'd go for making it a capital offence to wear shoes indoors if someone lives on the floor below you. Who needs to wear shoes when they're inside anyway?
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:24 pm

Apart from my early life when everyone lived in Tenements, I do feel that nowadays that living in a tenement is almost like a cycle of life for Glaswegians.
You leave home and share a tenement flat with some mates.
You then move in with your girlfriend and a tenement is all you can afford.
Get married and have kids, end up in a council flat (in Govanhill in my case).
Try for better and are in a four in a block that you get a mortgage for.
Then a front and back door and watch the kids grow up.....
I'm sure many have a similar journey?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:40 am

you need planning permission to put down laminated flooring in west dunbartonshire.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:07 pm

banjo wrote:you need planning permission to put down laminated flooring in west dunbartonshire.

I'm not surprised but it would take an awful lot of laminate to cover the whole of West Dun! :?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:10 pm

RDR wrote:
banjo wrote:you need planning permission to put down laminated flooring in west dunbartonshire.

I'm not surprised but it would take an awful lot of laminate to cover the whole of West Dun! :?

::): ::): ::):
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:25 pm

:oops:
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:31 pm

I have an old fashioned seperate sound system with the loudest speakers and I am currently tempted to climb up into the communal loft space and put both speakers face down on the floor. Then come back down stairs and blast at full volume and full bass levels 'Sydney Devine' or 'Jimmy Shand' but the problem is I don't have either!

Maybe if I did this, the c**t upstairs would actually get the message!
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:45 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote:I have an old fashioned seperate sound system with the loudest speakers and I am currently tempted to climb up into the communal loft space and put both speakers face down on the floor. Then come back down stairs and blast at full volume and full bass levels 'Sydney Devine' or 'Jimmy Shand' but the problem is I don't have either!

Maybe if I did this, the c**t upstairs would actually get the message!

May I offer this;

warning (Dex)
this video contains bad spelling,bad use of apostrophe and mild talent (?)
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:15 pm

And you know, i just had to listen to it didn't I!

Thanks, ::): :cry: :oops:
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:14 am

Delmont St Xavier wrote:And you know, i just had to listen to it didn't I!

Thanks, ::): :cry: :oops:

Your welcome ;)
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:08 am

RDR wrote:

Have you got a source banjo?

The W Dunbartonshire website (SO much more helpful than Glasgow's) doesn't mention planning permission on its noise page (scroll down) - no, not even for doing the whole county.

The link to the Scottish Exec advice perhaps shows why noise is always going to be a problem with hard floors - it's not exactly practical (or even possible) for sanded floors. I like the Quiet Neighbour Tips though (shame they didn't take up my capital offence idea).
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:45 am

I wondered about the planning permission requirement when I first saw it mentioned here.

I think what was meant is that, in the case of a local authority or housing association rented property, permission should be sought from the landlord before laying hard floors, although how many do is another matter. I think the same requirement applies to things like installing a plumbed in shower or converting it to a wet room.

I think planning permission is only required for internal changes if they're structural or if it's a Listed Building.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:14 am

Ah, that makes sense - so if they don't get permission and the downstairs people complain there's a stick to beat them with.

(Or if they know they should have got permission, at least they'll be tip-toeing around in their socks, so it's all good.)
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:34 am

A bit difficult not to have noise in flats really.
Yonks ago, living in a tenement, we got our first automatic washing machine.
We were the top flat and got complaints when we first used it, even though it was 6 in the evening.
Went down to the elderly couple below us and right enough it didn't half make a noise when it was on a spin cycle.
I ended up putting a layer of insulating felt underneath it to try to deaden it a bit, which worked.
Tenements didn't really suit modern appliances I suppose.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)