Lost Car Dealerships

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lost Car Dealerships

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:00 pm

Giblets On Croute wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:There was a Daimler showroom on Bothwell Street owned by Rossleigh.

Was that the Scottish Legal building that Arnold Clark used in the early 80's?

According to one of Robert Pool's excellent finds it was number 153. 153 previously housed, according to RIBA records, Scott Brown and Company Standard Cars.

Piccy at http://www.ribapix.com/index.php?a=indexes&s=item&key=IYToxOntpOjA7czoxMzoiQ2FyIHNob3dyb29tcyI7fQ==&pg=32
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:03 pm

MacHarg, Rennie and Lindsay had a Standard Cars showroom at Berkeley St/ North St.

From the Virtual Mitchell http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualm ... =2&t=4&x=1
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:32 pm

The Egg Man wrote:MacHarg, Rennie and Lindsay had a Standard Cars showroom at Berkeley St/ North St.

From the Virtual Mitchell http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualm ... =2&t=4&x=1

McHargs eventually was yet another swallowed by Arnold Clark, though they retained the name for a bit it was merely a front.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:36 pm

Mori wrote:Use to be Ritchies on shields road during the 70s/80s who sold Fiat and Ferarri, then was taken over by a Toyota franchise during the 90s i think and recently has become a block of flats.

There also used to be a small car showroom dealer in ibrox within the petrol station on pasiley rd just before you get on to the M8, i bought a Triumph Stag from there in the 70s... what a car!! except for the V8 engine, had to get it overhauled and then sold asap. :|

There used to be several on Eglinton st as well, most of them have gone now me thinks, Wylies had a Ford showroom up in Thornlibank somewhere, i test drove an RS 2000 there in the 80s.

My mate had a Triumph Stag.
Great to look at, but mechanically so unreliable.
He got rid of it when the drive shaft fell out of it as we were going down the A77 one night to Kilmarnock.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:00 pm

I can remember SMT on Finnieston street, where my Dad bought a Mk1 Astra;

retro cars 6 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

And down the road from my house on the corner of Clarkston road and Merrylee road was Haldanes who sold Rover's before it became Linn Volvo.

I remember in the 80's when the new showroom opened they parked a beige Mini Metro on the roof just above the door.

Haldanes also had a showroom across the road where the Scotmid store is now.

Dave
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:24 pm

They were all cunts, I wouldn't get misty eyed about them.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:38 pm

hungryjoe wrote:They were all cunts, I wouldn't get misty eyed about them.

::): Don't sit on the fence now Joe!
I didn't say I missed any of them with any fondness :D
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:39 pm

BTJustice wrote:I can remember SMT on Finnieston street, where my Dad bought a Mk1 Astra;

retro cars 6 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

And down the road from my house on the corner of Clarkston road and Merrylee road was Haldanes who sold Rover's before it became Linn Volvo.

I remember in the 80's when the new showroom opened they parked a beige Mini Metro on the roof just above the door.

Haldanes also had a showroom across the road where the Scotmid store is now.

Dave

I worked with the niece of one of the Haldanes.
They also ran coach trips and hired coaches.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:45 pm

Triumph Stags weren't/aren't as unreliable as people make out. There were some build-quality issues to be sure, bu tonly to be expected from 70's British Leyland I suppose.

The biggest problem was the engine seizing, but it turns out that was due to a too small radiator rather than narrow oilways as people first thought. A new bigger-core radiator sorted that out, then it was simply down to regular and proper servicing and oil changes. That's why there are still a fair number of them around.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:53 pm

I see Scottish Motor Services are still in existence @ Charing x, nearly bought a Lotus Elan from there during the 90s.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:01 pm

BTJustice wrote:I can remember SMT on Finnieston street, where my Dad bought a Mk1 Astra

There was also an SMT place on New City Road at Cowcaddens, next to what used to be the old Normal School. My eldest sister worked there in the late 1960's / early 1970's. The Chinatown Restaurant is there now, in fact I think it is still the same building.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:05 pm

there was a garage beside shields road subway but cant remember if it was just a petrol station or whether it sold cars dont ever remember it being opened just closed and derilict
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby the researcher » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:10 pm

The Egg Man wrote:There was a Daimler showroom on Bothwell Street owned by Rossleigh.

rossleigh also had a jaguar dealership in dundee as well
smt had a dealership on lochee road in dundee thats where j b milne the dundee cinema owner bought a rolls royce chassis in 1953 and had it sent to freestone and webb to get a coach built body fitted to it whether smt were a rolls royce dealership am unsure or maybe they could order in any make of car
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:43 am

GSV

Used to be a Toyota showroom in this location in mount florida, laterly i think it became a kwik fit outlet.

Bought a 16V Twin Cam Corolla whitepack Hatchback, a very fast machine and one the 1st of its concepts of the 16v era.

The rep i was dealing with was bigoted dodgey plonker, withholding discounts to pocket for himself until i reported him and got him the sack... bought the car £500 quid cheaper than what he was orginaly quoting.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:51 am

I've got thin book, issued in the 50'sfor the centenary? of Carlaws, it has a couple of pictures in it of the sites at Finnieston and Cook streets, I haven't checked but I doubt either exist now. There is also some pictures of showrooms in the town and other dealerships in Edinburgh and Kilmarnock, if anyone is interested I'll scan them.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)