Good Restaurants

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Lennoxtown!

Postby MungoDundas » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:03 am

Whilst not really Glasgow, but still easily within striking distance, the Swan inn in Lennoxtown seemingly
has become Spanish owned recently. That explains why my crowd polished off various successful tapas dishes
(but not the good pizzas?). Decor a bit dingy and price slightly higher than one would like, but worth the trip anyway.
MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Good Restaurants

Postby social » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:53 pm

The wee curry shop on byres road is one of my favorites, hope this post does not make it to busy though, i like it just the way it is.
social
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby TA_Ealing » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:55 pm

aye social - Wee Curry Shop is brilliant
TA_Ealing
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:31 pm

social wrote:The wee curry shop on byres road is one of my favorites, hope this post does not make it to busy though, i like it just the way it is.

It's not as if it's tucked away in an obscure wee corner, though, is it? Unlike the one in Buccleuch Street.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:20 am

Cafe Salma at 523 Sauchiehall St.

I've been a few times and the food is good, with friendly service. The upstairs' (main eating area) decor is more cafe than restaurant, but the food is best restaurant quality. No drink served - big deal.
Downstairs, the decor is sumptuous, but (I think) more for functions than general eating. Last time I was there, I got a table downstairs as the upper restaurant was full.
I'll be back.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source ... BL-XXZZ2rA
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotty » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:45 pm

Bifteki near St Enoch's if youre pished, starvin and brave! It's the only place open I know of at 4am. That said, all i've eaten from them's been the chips n cheese and chilli sauce. :D

I realise some people may disagree with this being in the 'good restaurants' section, but please take into account that 4am food always tastes good when your out on the lash!
Scott
scotty
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby dimairt » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:50 pm

I recommend the Red Onion on West Campbell St. Suggested by my future son-in-law, a chef himself, I took my mother there this evening for her birthday. Bit pricey but worth it for excellent food and good service on a special occasion.

Le durachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:47 am

I discovered Cail Bruich on Great Western Road this weekend. The food was outstanding, particularly for the price. The set menu is excellent value. Service was also delightful.
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Lennoxtown!

Postby DarrenSpriing » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:40 am

MungoDundas wrote:Whilst not really Glasgow, but still easily within striking distance, the Swan inn in Lennoxtown seemingly
has become Spanish owned recently. That explains why my crowd polished off various successful tapas dishes
(but not the good pizzas?). Decor a bit dingy and price slightly higher than one would like, but worth the trip anyway.

Love Spanish food, tried La Tasca a while back, fantastic! Also tried Cafe Andaluz but didn't like that so much. Fav one though is Barca Tapas if you know it? It's in Princes Square - http://bit.ly/hkjuT8

I have to say tho, got a bit of a steak craving at the moment! :twisted:

Darren
DarrenSpriing
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby tobester » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:16 pm

For a wee bit further afield, i would recommend Brambles Cafe in Inverary, the food and cakes are home made, and is quite tasty, i have the soup and sandwich deal when i was in a few weeks ago, and would recommend it if you are not wanting a long meal, as for the cakes, i never bought any but take a look in the window and i dare you not to drool.

Also along from the main sea front try Coasters in Oban
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Scotty100 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:21 pm

I can highly recommend The Butchershop Grill on Sauchiehall St just across from the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. The bread is freshly baked on the premises using the chefs own sour dough recipe and is absolutely delicious.
I would describe the place more as a steak house but they also had lobster as a specials and fish and chips on the lunch menu.
I went for Crispy Pork Belly and Black Pudding on creamy mash for a starter which was delicious, really succulent and not too salty (I shared this with my daughter) and for my main course I regressed to my 1970s self and had a T Bone medium rare. When it came it was more like a half a coo on a plate and was cooked to perfection. The chips are proper chunky hand cut chips (and lots of them), double cooked, crispy on the outside soft and fluffy inside. No room left for a pudding so I cant comment but they looked delicious.
They were more than happy to let us mix and match from the "Lunch" menu and A la carte.
Service was good and the cost was OK at £90 for 3 of us but we did not have wine or puddings.
Would I go back? Yes without a doubt I will.
http://www.butchershopglasgow.com/
Scotty100
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:45 pm

i did notice that the old bank at the bottom of byres rd is now a mexican joint.will they never learn that place is cursed in the food game.the pakistan restaurant must have had the shortest lifespan so far.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:23 am

banjo wrote:i did notice that the old bank at the bottom of byres rd is now a mexican joint.will they never learn that place is cursed in the food game.the pakistan restaurant must have had the shortest lifespan so far.

No.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:48 pm

do tell rab.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:30 pm