Glasgows Cobbled Streets and Lanes

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgows Cobbled Streets and Lanes

Postby rico » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:02 pm

This thread has been an indispensable resource for planning an homage to the paris-roubaix bike race. I will be sure to post some photos of the riders tackling the cobbles after the ride.

more info
rico
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby frankquinn24 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:24 pm

DCP_0020 by frankquinn24, on Flick
Nicholas St. off High St. could be a good site for an Oliver Twist type film :!:
frankquinn24
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby yoker brian » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:54 pm

Frank - the shop building on the right of the picture was once a pawnbrokers of an ancestor of Gaucho and myself
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:48 pm

shields road used to be cobbled from the paisley road end at the crown bar right to the top at the sail makers whether they are still there or have been tarmaced over am not sure also remember (going slightly off topic here) a new type of road surface was tried in houston street from the road end with shields road the road surface was absolutely smooth and white coloured the idea being to monitor how the road surface stood up to continous traffic trouble was hardly any traffic went along houston street which therefore defeated the object of the exercise ::):
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:13 pm

The cobbles at Greendyke Street / Monteith Row have been ripped up and are being replaced by an inferior road make-up. The vandalised setts are currently heaped up opposite Glickman's sweet shop.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:41 pm

Vinegar Tom wrote:The cobbles at Greendyke Street / Monteith Row have been ripped up and are being replaced by an inferior road make-up. The vandalised setts are currently heaped up opposite Glickman's sweet shop.

Noticed that yesterday, but they're piled up in the middle of the road with a 'security' fence round them and a (bet it's fibbing) 'This site is protected by 24 hr CCTV' notice, which made me think they're planning to re-use them rather than whatever-it-is they usually do with things.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:57 pm

yoker brian wrote:Frank - the shop building on the right of the picture was once a pawnbrokers of an ancestor of Gaucho and myself

Brian,
not sure the building is as old as 1880s- I'm sure someone will tell us :D It's certainly the location though.
Do you not think 'General Trader' sounds better than pawnbroker?
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:55 pm

215 High Street and 7-9 (odd Nos) Nicholas Street, Glasgow

Description: 215 High Street and 7-9 (odd Nos) Nicholas Street

Category: B
Date Listed: 22 March 1977
Historic Scotland Building ID: 32722

OS Grid Coordinates: 259864, 665254
Latitude/Longitude: 55.8600, -4.2405

Locality: Glasgow
County: Glasgow, City Of
Postcode: G1 1QH

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk ... -nicholas-

Drawings signed William Forest Salmon FRIBA, 1894-95, building dated 1895. Narrow asymmetrical 2-bay 3-storey tenement with Edwardian Renaissance details, former bank premises to ground, now shop. Long return elevation to Nicholas Street, partly single storey. Polished red sandstone, polished pink granite basecourse.
HIGH STREET ELEVATION: roll-moulded door to right, above rises 4-light corbelled canted oriel to 1st and 2nd, good decorative over-lintel with leaded oculus. To left, basket-arched tripartite, round-arched bipartites to 1st and 2nd. All windows sash and case with plate-glass glazing. Stepped gable to left with statue at apex. Balustraded parapet to right with lead ogee-domed tempietoto.
NICHOLAS STREET: 2-bay return elevation to main High Street facade, to right single storey and attic irregular mews wing with shouldered windows and stepped gable to right. Bronze plaque records the site of the house of the poet Thomas Campbell, 1777-1844.

References:
Information by courtesy of the Buildings of Scotland Research Unit. Dean of Guild drawings dated March 1894 in Worsdall Collection (Ref A15). Additional information courtesy of Iain Paterson, City of Glasgow District Council.

See Also - page 19 of the Medieval City Map trail (click link for PDF)

Nicholas Street 1858 by Yoker Brian, on Flickr

Nicholas Street 1894 by Yoker Brian Kelly, on Flickr
Last edited by yoker brian on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:57 pm

Guacho wrote:
yoker brian wrote:Frank - the shop building on the right of the picture was once a pawnbrokers of an ancestor of Gaucho and myself

Brian,
not sure the building is as old as 1880s- I'm sure someone will tell us :D It's certainly the location though.
Do you not think 'General Trader' sounds better than pawnbroker?

I was just going by the press clipping - but General Trader covers it :roll:
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby beneld » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:44 am

I was under the impression that within the next couple of years they were going to flatten that corner. Interesting to see that at least one of the buildings is maybe listed. Old College Bar going away . I also think the Lamp Post just down Duke Street is scheduled as well . I dont know if it means that block between High Street and it going as well to extend the Collegelands area.
https://twitter.com/#!/ahaufstop
http://ahaufstop.blogspot.com
beneld
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Rucola » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:04 am

the researcher wrote:shields road used to be cobbled from the paisley road end at the crown bar right to the top at the sail makers whether they are still there or have been tarmaced over am not sure

The abandoned section of Shields Road south of Scotland St is still cobbled.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Rucola » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:57 pm

Rucola wrote:
the researcher wrote:shields road used to be cobbled from the paisley road end at the crown bar right to the top at the sail makers whether they are still there or have been tarmaced over am not sure

The abandoned section of Shields Road south of Scotland St is still cobbled.

Duh! Should be NORTH of Scotland St.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby frankquinn24 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:19 pm

Visited the Panopticon Music Hall on Open doors day. Outside I noticed the New Wynd entrance was cobbled but looked newly laid. The other side of the theatre was a pend also cobbled (note the "Blue Plate "on the wall, refers to the theatre). On Argyle St are New style cobbles in the parking area.
The pictures in a previous post by Mungo Dundas have gone so I thought no harm in posting new ones.
Pend Image
Image005 by frankquinn24, on Flickr
Close up Image
Image004 by frankquinn24, on Flickr
New Wynd Image
Image003 by frankquinn24, on Flickr
Image006 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/kelvinhaugh_no8/ Parking Space
frankquinn24
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby calamity » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:08 am

Image off High st.. Burrells Lane
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DUNFERMLINEBOY » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:19 am

If the original tram lines still exist under the tarmac in Glasgow then it would probably be a lot cheaper to restore them that the current Edinburgh fiasco where the original lines were lifted! Glasgow especially i feel would enjoy the return of the trams from the city centre out to towns such as Coatbridge, Airdrie etc! Ironically if you look at the position of the new tram lines in Edinburgh Princes Street and compare them with photos from the 1950's the lines are more or less in exactly the same position as they were and work is presently undergoing to renew the power stations in a central reservation AGAIN in more or less exactly the same place as the originals! What a waste of time and money it was ever scrapping them in the first place, the same can be said for the full restoration of the canal between edinburgh and Glasgow and the reopening of a third glasgow-Edinburgh line with the reopening of the section between Bathgate and Airdrie which now allows he trains to travel directly between Edinburgh Waverly and Helensburgh via Glasgow Queen Street Lower Link, and relinks passenger services between coatbridge and Airdie-Edinburgh for the first time in 50 years!!!
DUNFERMLINEBOY
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects