Schools- Which ones did you attend?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby DMcNay » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:41 am

paladin wrote:
dr_lightning wrote:When was that? Because it needed spending on it ten years ago...

I left in 1974, and even then whole classes were being sent down to Clifton High School due to lack of facilities, so half the lesson was spent 'commuting' between schools.........I think we were the 'walking bus' prototype?

Ah, well before my time. There's been a whole new extension built since 1974, housing the maths and PE Departments.

Although the roof to the new building was leaking when I wa there and it wasn't even ten years old yet.

I drive past occasionally when I'm in Coatbridge, an it looks tattier now than it ever did.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby martin » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:06 am

...mutters quietly so nobody hears...
Hutchie

currently at Glasgow Uni, 2000-
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:09 am

martin wrote:...mutters quietly so nobody hears...
Hutchie

SNOB! :wink: ::):
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby martin » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:28 am

*grumble*...
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:29 am

Don't worry, I'm only joking...... ::):
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:03 am

::):
Last edited by paladin on Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:17 am

paladin wrote:
dr_lightning wrote:I drive past occasionally when I'm in Coatbridge, an it looks tattier now than it ever did.

I drove past intentionally(recently) to see what changes had taken place in the previous 30 years and just kept on driving, I certainly hope the interior is much better.

I sincerely doubt it. It was a horrific mess when I left. Peeling paint, leaking ceilings, just awful.....
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Connie » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:01 am

I'm a newbie here and haven't seen anyone from Townhead's St Mungo's Primary or The Rock secondary. I went to primary in the late 60's early 70's and secondary till late 70's. I would love to catch up with anyone who lived in the Townhead or Garngad area around that time, thanks to all.
P.S. Love the site ::): :wink:
Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate!!!!
Connie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby escotregen » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:26 am

Connie, that's interesting I did not know there was a primary St Mungo's. Did it have any connection with the famous secondary next to the Great Eastern)? I've tried without sucess to put a long-term expat in touch with any of his old classmates from the secondary during the mid sixties (he's tried Friends Re-united without result).
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Connie » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:53 am

I think it was called St Mungo's Infants, the headmistress was sister Mary Annunciata, I had a teacher there called Mrs Mains, she was a horror. Her hubby was a short term mayor or baillie (not sure which) of Glasgow. I can't for the life of me remember the street now, but it was just off St James Rd and just up from the pub. I'm not sure what connections it had with other schools, I do know that Charlotte Street and The Rock were the closest filter secondary schools for the area.
Connie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby escotregen » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:58 am

A headmistress called sister Mary Annunciata, a horror called Mrs Mains and whose husband was a Council Baillie! It sounds like Charles Dickens on Glasgow.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Connie » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:17 am

It was a bit I suppose, this was the slums after all. There were some really good teachers there too, I recall one was Mrs Wallace, she was the sweetest lady and I idolised her, she was the one who gave me my dream of travelling. I have since followed my dream and have now settled in South Australia.
Connie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby escotregen » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:30 am

There's always an extra special one that stood out. For me it was a Mr McShane in the tough dirty old Mary-in-the-Calton. At that time Glasgow schools were struggling due to the wholesale demolition and displacement of communities. They were short of teachers. So they brought back from retirement teachers like Mr McShane who was so old he had taught my father! But he was great; inspired a whole overcrowded class of seemingly hopeless cases. He drummed into us that we owed it to ourselves to try harder in life at every turn... somebody that old in the profession in that hard situation who did not become cynical or dissillusioned (only, he never did succeed in making my spelling any good).
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Connie » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:46 am

Mrs Wallace was like that, I remember her as being a grandmotherly type, very jolly and cuddly. She taught me to follow my dream and believe in myself. I forgot the last bit for a few years while I was raising my kids. She had travelled the world and told many stories of far off places we could then not even dare to dream of. I'm lucky to now have seen a few of those places she talked about. I will always be grateful that she instilled a sense of adventure in me that lasted my whole life and shows no sign of stopping. I've done so much through the years, from travelling to doing work that most women in Scotland would say is mens work.. ( sheep station hand) :)
Connie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby gap74 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:04 pm

Hmmm, suspect I'm the only one who went to school out this way...

I was Hallside Primary (the 1881 building, before some wee shite burnt it to the ground), then Cathkin High School, both in Cambuslang. Cathkin is splendidly horrendous looking, a hideous building of 1970 now surrounded with a 9 foot fence. Ah, happy days! Would love to look around it again, but a lone male with a camera poking around school playgrounds probably wouldn't get very far these days!

"No, honest gov, I'm just having a nostalgia trip!"

Then a spell at both Strathclyde and Glasgow Unis, cos I was rubbish at finishing courses!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)