Wimpey Bars...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Wimpy Bars...

Postby Mori » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:17 pm

I'm sure there was a wimpy in shawlands during the late 70s early 80s, maybe am imagining things ?

Kilmarnock rd maybe. :roll:
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Haggis » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:02 pm

i remember as a wee boy in the 60s swinging my legs under the plastic chairs in the wimpy on jamaica street.
As a treat we got a knickerbocker glory served up by my wee maw,as she worked in it :P God bless her
Haggis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby avitacum » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:22 pm

Was there not one in Queen St Station in the late 70's and early 80's....where the bar is now?
avitacum
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby mooshimooshisan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:28 pm

I think you might be thinking of Ed Debevnick's that was where the Rock Garden is now on Queen St (is it still called the Rock Garden? I used to work in there, but not been past for a while). EB's was more of an American dinery type place than a Wimpey, as I recall it?
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Haggis » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:32 am

OH THE ROCK GARDEN .i remember being served by Clair Grogan HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY! ALSO GRACE JONES WAS SITTING AT BAR ONE NIGHT .IT WAS A GREAT BAR BACK IN EARLY 80S.THINK IT CHANGED ITS NAME TO ROX GARDEN AND ITS CHANGED AGAIN RECENTLY I THINK.the music was brill.from Siouxsie & the banshees .cure.bauhaus ,
Haggis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:23 pm

Rock Garden used to have a Big grizzly bear sitting in 1 of their corners of the bar. :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:34 pm

That sounds like any pub Groover is in to be honest.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Haggis » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:06 pm

correction i should have said 1970s at jamaica st wimpey.soz silly sausage eh :)
Haggis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:23 pm

Mori wrote:Rock Garden used to have a Big grizzly bear sitting in 1 of their corners of the bar. :D

It was on a platform, 5 or six feet above the ground in the far left corner as you came in the bar.

In later years it was (I think) given a Number 3 haircut, moved tothe near right corner at the window, and adorned with ridiculous paraphernalia. It might still be there for all I know - it'a few years since I was in, but it was still in the window not so long ago.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:53 pm

Haggis wrote:OH THE ROCK GARDEN .i remember being served by Clair Grogan

Evidence please.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:50 pm

note to doorstop,megabowl,livingston st LINNVALE.now a go outdoors.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:44 pm

Linnvale .. I stand corrected Sir.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:06 pm

I never ever seen wee Groger in the Rock Garden, but then again i only went in maybe once a week for a Diluted orange 'n Lemonade after my workout @ Olympic Studios. ::):

this has gone wayyyy off topic.... did Wimpy in Howard/ Jamaica st have 2 floors ?

When I was young and flying all over the world, meeting Hollywood producers and basically living the dream, it just didn't work for me," she says with a pained expression. "I could bluff it brilliantly, but beyond a certain point, I thought: I can't pretend to be someone I'm not'. I think I was really fortunate to recognise that in myself at an early age. I knew I wouldn't walk away completely from it, but I used to sit in the Beverly Wiltshire Hotel in Hollywood and wish I was back in The Rock Garden in Glasgow with my pals. My life had become, unintentionally, very different from the people I really cared about and I wasn't comfortable with that. It made me feel quite isolated. And I had a hunch that I would never get over that feeling.

Herald 8 Sep 2007
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:35 am

That's where she spent her wages from the Spaghetti Factory.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:40 pm

Now that you mention the Jamaica Street one the old clouds are starting to part a little, I always remember being taken to one shortly after a trip to Goldbergs, so Trongate is a possible too. I remember a short lived burger bar called Burger Express adjacent to the Tron in the late 1980s....it later became a jeans store.

Back to Wimpy...the Ingram Street one is now a ladies lingerie shop since about 2003-04 ish...it used to be always frequented by the workers from the Bank of Scotland across the road as it was one of the few places that still allowed smoking. I know cos the ignorant so and so's would always sit right down next to me at the next table and light up (yuck!).

The Union Street one is now a Subway, and the Sauchiehall Centre one got shut when they put in that doomed health club place that died a death (pardon the pun...).

The Wimpys inside the bowling alleys just aren't the same as the sit down ones for some daft reason.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)