New Transport Museum at Riverside

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: New Transport Museum at Riverside

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:27 pm

We'll have to disagree on that.

The Riverside, undoubtedly still an excellent day out, seems to be about style over substance. To laud the architect at the expense of the exhibits.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:34 pm

I'm clearly even more rubbish at this internet thing than I thought I was. I thought that was what I just said.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:27 am

You can redce the needs of any building to 'a big shed that keeps the rain 'out''

Thank goodness that rationale has not been pursued throughout the history of our city though eh?
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby applemaca » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:28 pm

"You don't hire Z Hadid to design a functional building."

I couldn't agree more.......so why was she hired?
“Let me in old pensioner……for I am a bogus gasman, wi fake ID, n’am here tae ransack yur hoose!”
applemaca
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby ibtg » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:20 pm

....Because the City Fathers wanted a statement building, to keep up with the Jones's (Edinburgh?).

I agree with Josef et al - the building is an unusual and striking design, but the exhibits, as I have stated before, were secondary to the project - an afterthought. Oops - we have this wonderful new building and the stuff won't fit - I know!! Let's put cars and motorbikes on shelves, what a wheeze! And where something won't go with it's associated exhibits, bung it somewhere else.

The exhibits are an art installation, based around transport. I don't know anything much on the technical side of the exhibits (actually, reading that over I know nothing about the technical side of the exhibits); but I know what I like - and I don't like cars and bikes on shelves. I don't like the subway installation. I don't like the 'cinema'. I don't like the 'ship conveyer'.

Designers had their own way over the curators, of that I am sure.

What is interesting, the comment about the interactive displays in Kelvingrove. I'm pretty sure they won't last the pace at Riverside. It is OK to say that this is the new way of allowing the young generation to interact with the museum exhibits, but they are completely unnecessary when the objects are (within eye level) right in front of you, with a reasonably detailed description on some kind of card or plaque nearby. These things don't go wrong, or break down and can be read by everyone without waiting in a queue to get to the screen.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:25 pm

ibtg wrote:....Because the City Fathers wanted a statement building, to keep up with the Jones's (Edinburgh?).

If you're referring to Holyrood, isn't it strange both buildings are museums?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:55 pm

I don't want to always seem to be sticking up for Edinburgh, but the Canongate Bus Station* aside, there has been very little of that 'iconic' architecture going on there. Partly because (trams fiasco aside) its all too small c conservative, and there's no need for iconic things as they're already there.

There was a brilliant telly programme by yon Jonathan Meades on the subject of cities clambering over each other to replicate the so-called Bilbao Effect - i.e. throw up some stainless steel randomness by a big name wowie architect, and it'll magically reinvigorate your city's moribund economy. Of course it ain't so, but nobody's told those in charge of any number of cities where they keep trying to repeat the trick...

*Copyright a friend of mine
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Lone Groover » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:46 am

Lucky Poet wrote:There was a brilliant telly programme by yon Jonathan Meades on the subject of cities clambering over each other to replicate the so-called Bilbao Effect -

Sorry, not Balboa..........
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:53 pm

Bingo Bango wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:I understand there's to be a garden developed in a triangular site adjacent to the Museum.

It'll be called the Forgotten Island and will run 5 days a week over a 10 week period from July to September 2011.

The cost of this temporary project is estimated at £150,000.

No, that's not a typo. One hundred and fifty thousand pounds.

So its only accessible for 10 weeks? 5 days a week? 50 days? 3000 quid a day? To design, procure, install and run?

Sounds ok to me. Things cost money. Is this connected to the transport museum at all? IE is it part of the place?

It looks like Curious Giant, the people who got the £150,000 mentioned above to build and run the Forgotten Island are no longer. "After 21 years of creating arts experiences with and for children in Glasgow and across Scotland, the company announces that Giant is to close this autumn." I'm led to believe the site has been broken up and dispersed.

http://www.curiousgiant.org/
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby droschke7 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:34 am

shame about the garden
droschke7
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby rabmania » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:23 pm

rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:18 pm

was there today with GF and yes it is a lot bigger than kelvingrove but a few things struck me, the steam locos are filthy and having holed platework on the south african kettle looks bad, even a bit of filler would have improved it. Colin McRae's world rally winning car being in a corner when it should have been pride of place at the door. Good museum, great collection but worth the cost of build... no bloody way
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bing Buzby » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:54 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:There was a brilliant telly programme by yon Jonathan Meades on the subject of cities clambering over each other to replicate the so-called Bilbao Effect - i.e. throw up some stainless steel randomness by a big name wowie architect, and it'll magically reinvigorate your city's moribund economy. Of course it ain't so, but nobody's told those in charge of any number of cities where they keep trying to repeat the trick...

Interesting, I didn't see the programme but was yapping to an architect friend who was telling me the reason most of these developments fail is poor master planning*. The lack of connectivity, draw or embedding within the existing city is what kills otherwise outstanding buildings and installations. A case in point is the Armadillo, Norman Foster designed a signature building, that appears on all the promotional photos for the city, but it sits in a windswept nowhere between a hotel and a car park. It is as connected to Glaswegians daily lives as Moonbase Alpha.

Glasgow has a long and proud history of failed riverside development, when it comes to expensive, isolated, blinkered development the heid bummers in the City Chambers are world class.

*My pal might have been watching the same programme
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby darrel » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:54 pm

according to todays newspapers the riverside museum has recived 1250 complaints in the first two months it was open
http://darrels.smugmug.com/
darrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:09 pm

darrel wrote:according to today's newspapers the riverside museum has recived 1250 complaints in the first two months it was open

and how many visitors?

and which newspapers?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)