Hood mausoleum Cathcart cemetery

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:13 pm

Right Island, wrong temple though Ronnie ;)

According to ancient Egyptian creation myth, the island of Philae was said to be the site of the Mound of Creation which emerged from the primeval Waters of Chaos at the beginning of time. The remains of the temple complex date largely from the Greco-Romano era of Egyptian history (200BC - 300AD) although was undoubtedly in use long before then.

With the construction of the first Aswan Dam (completed 1902), the Philae complex was partially submerged during the season of inundation which destroyed the wall paintings. Later, when the Aswan High Dam was built in the 1960's, the island was threatened with complete submersion and so the complex was transported stone by stone to the neighbouring island of Agilkia, about 550metres away.

Map of Philae

Recreation of Temple complex

The Hood Mausoleum is based on Trajans Kiosk (number 7 on the recration above), known colloquially to the Egyptians as "Pharaohs Bed". It was built, funnily enough, by Trajan who ruled AD98-117 and was originally intended as a grand monumental entrance to the temple of the Isis Cult which was centred on Philae, but was never actually finished.

It seems that the similar mausoleum in the Necropolis (pictured below) is based on "porch" of the temple dedicated to Hathor on Philae (numbered 8 on the recreation). ...better call in Dan Brown, this could be a masonic conspiracy 8O ::):

Glasgow Necropolis mausoleum

Now going back to the Monkey Puzzle tree and its possible significance. I came across this image from the tomb of TuthmosisIII:
It depicts Tuthmosis being suckled from the breast of a semi-personified sycamore tree wich has been identified as representing the Goddess Isis. In a funerary context, the goddesses Isis and Hathor were often represented as trees offering shade, food and water to the dead, and often acted as a focus for offerings of libations to the dead.

Another tree associated with Isis and Philae (through the legend of Osiris) was the Willow, or Tamarisk. This tree was believed to have sheltered the (or a part of the) dead body of Osiris and was protected by the Jackal god of war and the funerary cult: Wepwawet, whose name means "opener of the ways". So maybe we were all wrong about the broken sculpture?

Now I realise a Sycamore isn't Monkey Puzzle which isn't a Willow, and some of that's a bit tenuous, but it does make you wonder if Hoods interest in ancient Egypt would have led him to make such subtle references or if he just wanted a nice tree beside him?

Food for thought :)
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Ronnie » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:28 am

Brilliant! Thanks, Crusty ... this is what we want on Hidden Glasgow, not bloomin' discussions of 'what's yer fave alcopop' or 'my disgusting tv habits' ... not naming any names, obviously ...
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:44 am

Absolutely fascinating!
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Hood mausoleum Cathcart cemetery

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:35 pm

Just took a walk around Cathcart Cemetery this lunchtime and chanced across the Hood memorial. A quick websearch brought me to just about the only info available on it - HG! Mighta known.

SO, just to be clear, the memorial is by Thomson or are we not sure?
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:46 pm

I remember when the slab in the middle was un-broken and had the sphynx(?) in the middle but I dont remember it ever having a head.

Here are a couple of pix from the weekend;

P1080629 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

P1080627 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

I think it needs a little maintenance soon as there are trees growing between the blocks around the top and parts of the grave stone have been moved again.

Dave
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:27 pm

the big trees are needing cut back for sure. You can't easily see it but deep in the branches there's a chalis shaped vase. It's a shame as it's the only proper structure in the cemetry, everything else is just headstones I think.
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:50 pm

On a side (though related) issue....I came across the grave of Alexander Robertson, Shipowner and Quarrymaster yesterday. It's a remarkable thing. The whole has been modeled on the stones of Stonehenge and although the massive lintel stone has been toppled by vandals (god knows how! it must be 2 tonnes) the grave is extremely impressive.
Can't find out a thing about him.
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:47 pm

Cyclo2000 wrote:Just took a walk around Cathcart Cemetery this lunchtime and chanced across the Hood memorial. A quick websearch brought me to just about the only info available on it - HG! Mighta known.

SO, just to be clear, the memorial is by Thomson or are we not sure?

The bloke doing these walks has got copies of the itemised invoice sent to Hood's widow, so you could go along and ask him.

I'd be less cryptic, but although he showed them to us on the day of the Cathcart walk, I can't now remember it exactly enough to be 100% sure.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:49 pm

I remember when the lintle was toppled. I worked at Shaws newsagent at the time as a paper boy and heard the story. Somebody stole the forklift truck from what is now Travis perkins builders yard in muirend ave and used it to lift off the top stone before crashing the forklift on the way back down the hill.

Dave.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:32 pm

Is it this tomb that features in a scene in the recent NEDS film?
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:41 pm

Yes it is, if I remember correctly.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby penguinmonkey » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:26 pm

I thought the graveyard scenes in NEDs were filmed in the Necropolis. Could be talking shite though
It's always funny 'til someone gets hurt and then it's just hilarious
penguinmonkey
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:16 pm

penguinmonkey wrote:I thought the graveyard scenes in NEDs were filmed in the Necropolis. Could be talking shite though

I thought that too and working at GRI I'm sure I saw the camera crews at the time.
On the other hand lots of film crews use the Necropolis for scenes including Taggart so it might not necessarily be them for that film.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:10 pm

William Hood, Flesher, 72 Jamaica Street. House: 2 Barcauldie Terr, Glencairn Dr, Pollokshields

1892 - 1900

William Hood, Flesher, 72 Jamaica Street. House: 'Nile Park', 1 Albert Drive, Pollokshields

1900 - 1904

William Hood, Flesher, 72 Jamaica Street. House: Mrs William Hood, 'Nile Park', 1 Albert Drive, Pollokshields

William Hood, Flesher, 72 Jamaica Street. House: Mrs William Hood, 14 Kensington Gate

Daniel Murray of John Murray & Son, 12 College Street. House: 'The Knowe', 1 Albert Drive, Pollokshields

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby craig_bryce » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:29 pm

Regarding the Hood Memorial, the Incorporation of Masons of Glasgow and the Incorporation of Wrights in Glasgow used to have the responsibility to look after the upkeep of the Hood Memorial.

The Hood family left a sum of money to pay for cleaning and repairs and this ran out a long time ago.

If you would like a wee bit of more information on the monument and a few others then please visit www.tradeshousemueseum.org and go to the [Digital Library] or visit the following link for the document http://www.tradeshousemuseum.org/upload ... port_2.pdf

If anyone is interested in any of the Incorporated Crafts in Glasgow, the Trades House Museum is a great place to start for free information and details not found anywhere else.

Craig R Bryce.
craig_bryce
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects