Berlin

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Berlin

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:09 pm

Was there only one side that bombed civilians in that war and what has it got to do with you NS dodgers?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:04 pm

All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Doorstop » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:33 am

::):
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:36 am

love Berlin to bits, the east still has a better vibe than the west.
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:46 pm

Berlin was still there in May, so had I had to go, really.

The inevitable war things, this being a very damaged lion in front of a bunch of shrapnel holes a few minutes walk from the Reichstag:

And a few minutes walk from there on Albrechtstrasse, and stumbled upon unexpectedly, a very large and probably undemolishable 1940s air raid shelter, now converted into an art gallery with glass penthouse on top:

Nowhere at all near there, and nothing to do with the war, a stickery viewing thing:

One of the iconic wee crossing light men:

Also in that photo is (for me) one of the most characteristic things about the city - brightly painted pipes snaking about the place. They are apparently to do with building works and the area's very high water table. Fair enough, but some of them look like they've been there for ages, and the things go in apparently random directions, like that old Windows screensaver. Here's a not very good photo:

Back near that poor old lion, and a nice pub, possibly the coolest fire station in Europe (thanks to Josef for insisting on stopping off to admire it):

More later no doubt.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:18 pm

Lucky Poet wrote: .............

More later no doubt.

Yes, please.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doug » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:51 pm

my boss had his stag do in Berlin, they had a fantastic time. hired bikes and were able to tour all round the beautiful city centre and night life...gooooooood ::):
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:17 pm

The Berlin folk apparently hate the stag do people :)

Here's a few photos of the U2 railway type line thing....

At the absolutely bloody fabulous Uberbaumbrücke, once a fortified crossing from West to East, now lovely and restored and open for swanning across at will:

Southern end of the same, now in Kreutzberg:

A jump of about 2 miles, but the same U2 line. This time being due south of the Brandenburg Gate:

Publicly owned public transport? My gosh!

Incidentally, this part of Berlin was damn near bombed to dust towards the end of the war in Europe...
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Doug » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:52 am

Hi lucky post. Like your pictures. When you see Berlin now its amazing when you think of what is was like during the war and even the aftermath with the division of the city and the Berlin airlift and so on.

cheers
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:07 pm

Flickr is full of amazing photos of the period after the war and during the division of the city. Well worth an explore, so it is.

Speaking kind of which, a brief thing about a famous-ish feature of Berlin, the Anhalter Banhof - a now pretty much non-existent but once impressively large main station. It's all very easily searched for online, of course, but in brief summary it was badly damaged during the last war, and found its reason for existence removed due to the isolation of West Berlin from the station's feeder lines from what became the DDR.

To repeat a photo posted above, this shows a new-ish pedestrian and cyclist bridge following the course of the lines from the Anhalter Banhof:

Incidentally, this was taken from a viewing platform attached to the Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin, in which lies this:

And this:

It's a great museum, which anybody of a mind to could happily spend a day or more in, and my couple of photos do it a disservice. Anyway, it also has this (harking back to the Berlin Airlift):

And, more germane to this (ha ha ha, uh), well, this:

That is one of the two metal sculptures that used to adorn the main entrance to the Anhalter Banhof, with slightly unsettling shrapnel and/or bullet holes visible.

It used to be half way up the side of this. Well, the thing that this rather lovely model, also in the Technical Museum, represents:

After an awful lot of aerial bombing and artillery fire and all sorts of almost unthinkable events (not least the station being one of the most heavily used departure points for Berlin's Jewish population, when they were 'deported'), the wreck was left for some time. Here it is in 1960, by kind agreement of allhails on Flickr, whose photostream is a fascinating thing indeed:
Ruins of Anhalter Bahnhof, West Berlin, c. 31 July 1960 by allhails, on Flickr

There's some debate as to what happened, possibly involving the corrupt sale of the no-doubt valuable bricks contained in the above wreck, but here is what is still there, preserved as a memorial of sorts. Note the replica sculptures residing either sides of the clock there:

I'll finish this with another encouragement to visit allails' set here, and to look at his other sets from that city afterwards:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allhails/s ... 461741786/
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby BTJustice » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

I loved Berlin when I went in 2009. I think I have pictures of the model when they had just started it.

My pics can be seen here;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9auto ... 385192708/

I managed to get a few then and nows done while I was there as well;

Berlin reichstag then and now by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

Then in now Brandenburg gate by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

kaiser wilhelm memorial church then and now by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

Dave
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:15 am

They are absolutely lovely. If ever a city was good for past/present type things, it's probably Berlin. I want to go back again too, even though it's only been months.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Charlotte » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:55 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:The Berlin folk apparently hate the stag do people :)

Here's a few photos of the U2 railway type line thing....

At the absolutely bloody fabulous Uberbaumbrücke, once a fortified crossing from West to East, now lovely and restored and open for swanning across at will:

Yeah, I've seen so many stag dos here you wouldn't believe! I guess the bars like the custom, but you know how British people can get when they drink that's probably why the parties aren't quite as welcomed as you'd think :roll:

Also, this is actually the U1, not the U2 :wink:
Charlotte
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:53 pm

Aw nuts. You are of course entirely correct - it's the lovely U1.

I really miss that place, I have to say.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Toby Dammit » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:40 am

Charlotte wrote:Also, this is actually the U1, not the U2 :wink:

And of course the bridge Lola runs across three times in RUN LOLA RUN. The great love letter on film to the city remains WINGS OF DESIRE, penned by Wim Wenders and poet Peter Handke. While I was in Berlin I was determined to track down as many of the exterior locations as possible.

Armed with just google earth and freeze framing a DVD I did a detective job Columbo would have been proud of, and the "on the ground" work took me to many corners of the city you just wouldn’t go near as a tourist, while highlighting the massive changes since the fall of the Wall and the redevelopment of much of the place since.

I’ll just post a few here. Running with a theme a number of the locations were set on or under bridges.

The dying motorcyclist on the Langenscheidbrücke

The young girl prostituting herself under the Gleisdreieck U-bahn bridge

The car journy through time further down the same section of overhead track

Lohmühlenbruecke, apparently smack bang against the Wall. In fact the movie makers were not allowed to film next to it, and all the Wall scenes were shot against sets, though the actual Wall ran just behind the reconstruction here. This was the most Eastern location used.

Bruno Ganz and Otto Sander

And finally, Peter Falk at “the station with the funny name.”
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Around the World