The Lost Gardens of Pollok St.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The Lost Gardens of Pollok St.

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:51 pm

In 1907 The Reverend McCreath occupied an apartment in the tenement property at 21 Abbotsford Place. People could be married in a Vestry or in the Manse and wherever the minister lived that was the manse. You'll find other references to couples being married at 21 Abbotsford Place and at other addresses that were not churches. There are some photographs of Abbotsford Place on the Virtual Mitchell Site but none of them are identified as # 21.

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualm ... p?a=street

On The Glasgow Story you'll find the plans for an alteration to apartments in 19-21 Abbotsford Place

http://tinyurl.com/2wkf6g
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Couple of photographs of the street from 'Strepadair' over on another Glasgow site. I would urge everyone to google him, his photographs of the Gorbals, Townhead, the Clyde & elsewhere in the mid 70's are truly something to behold.

Pollok St UP Church, on the east side just round the corner from PRW, June 1975

The west side of the middle bit, between Houston St and Ardgowan St, April 1974

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:16 pm

Thanks for highlighting HH . I will have to show my Dad the picture of the gardens - Gran , Grandad and him stayed in Ardgowan Street in the 1940's. Grandad worked in Blacklock and McArthur as a cooper - the building is still there at the M8 on-ramp.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:06 pm

Evocative photos those.

Just a wee thought - the railings were almost certainly removed during WWII and replaced afterwards, at what would have been no little expense. The place must have been thought to have had a future, at some point.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby scaryman2u » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:57 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:Evocative photos those.

Just a wee thought - the railings were almost certainly removed during WWII and replaced afterwards, at what would have been no little expense. The place must have been thought to have had a future, at some point.

I doubt very much if those railings have been replaced during the war years as they looked very old to me at the time in the late 60`s
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:38 am

I remember the railings being there from 1965 onwards, my dads shop was on the corner of Ardgowan and Pollok st untill 68 before served with a compulsary purchase order by the council to make way for the M8.
My dad moved to another empty shop unit on the corner of watt st for another few years untill that was served with the order for demolition too for the M8.

The gap sites like the one in the 2nd pic started to appear around that area during the late 60s onwards to make way for the M8, i'm not sure if that gap is a post ww2 gap site.

I think There used to be a pub called the Red Hackle around there somewhere, Pollok Snacks chip shop also on Paisley rd in front of the kingston halls.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:22 am

Just about any railings that didn't guard a sheer drop were taken away though.

If this is a reliable picture, note yer doubled uprights running to 1/3 of the way up (common in older railings), with a horizontal strip holding them. All the uprights are fixed into the coping stones, by the looks of it:
Bella Houston wrote:Image

In the later photo there are no doubled uprights, and there's a horizontal strip just above the coping. The railings are fixed into the coping stones only every 15 uprights or so, and there are diagonal bracings now. The coping stones look damaged too:
HollowHorn wrote:Image

I need to get out more; this is nearly up there with chimney evidence.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:15 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:Just about any railings that didn't guard a sheer drop were taken away though.

If this is a reliable picture, note yer doubled uprights running to 1/3 of the way up (common in older railings), with a horizontal strip holding them. All the uprights are fixed into the coping stones, by the looks of it:
In the later photo there are no doubled uprights, and there's a horizontal strip just above the coping. The railings are fixed into the coping stones only every 15 uprights or so, and there are diagonal bracings now. The coping stones look damaged too:

I need to get out more; this is nearly up there with chimney evidence.

Your efforts are appreciated and I'm sure you'll come out a winner in the HG Awards.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:23 pm

Well spotted LP
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:26 pm

Bella Houston wrote:
Great thread. I have an old postcard of Pollok St .

Great pic, but the street had degenerated a lot since that pic.
My memory of that pic in the 60`s is...The building on the left with the 4 windows was a pawn shop at ground floor and 1 up.
The corner in the extreme left was an off sales (Haigs mibees).
The buildings on the left that goes all the way to Paisly Rd had a massive gap in the middle that we called the spare ground, the buildings on the right with all the different colours were all blackened by smoke and i remember shops such as Mingos, Jeans and Sandra Dean hairdressers on that block.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:54 pm

Pollok United Presbyterian Church,3-5 Pollok Street. Demolished c1976
Architect: J D Peddie 1855-56

http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:40 pm

my mum mand dad were married in the maxwell parish church in 1947 and i was christened there in 1958
this it typed on the back of my birth certificate will need to have a look to see what date is on it
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Ardgowan Place, Kingston

Postby BDH » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:01 am

09/04/2011
On the subject of Ardgowan Place, may I say that as far as I understand, the former name of this street was Bolton Street; I think that the Kinning Street detail is an error - since Kinning is further along, and ran, from memory, from Gloucester to Scotland Streets.

I am a new Forum member, so thanks for this opportunity to make a contribution.

Drummond

PS Fascinating to see the plans of Pollok Street UP Church, Hollowhorn - since my Gt Gt Grandparents attended in the 1870s, and certainly one family member was christened there. Thanks again.
BDH
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:36 am

Someone has lifted photographs of Kinning park from various sites and assembled them un annotated here
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kilted_jockey » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:24 pm

Mori wrote:I remember the railings being there from 1965 onwards, my dads shop was on the corner of Ardgowan and Pollok st untill 68 before served with a compulsary purchase order by the council to make way for the M8.
My dad moved to another empty shop unit on the corner of watt st for another few years untill that was served with the order for demolition too for the M8.

The gap sites like the one in the 2nd pic started to appear around that area during the late 60s onwards to make way for the M8, i'm not sure if that gap is a post ww2 gap site.

I think There used to be a pub called the Red Hackle around there somewhere, Pollok Snacks chip shop also on Paisley rd in front of the kingston halls.

Guess the name of the shop was called Akbars then?

Was born at 48 Pollok St. 1958 right in the centre of the street, where the postcard picture was taken.
kilted_jockey
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects