Colin and Justin are so wrong ... Arden is OK!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Colin and Justin are so wrong ... Arden is OK!

Postby OLDFART » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:19 pm

Unfortunately Glen Oaks did not have access to the money required to carry out a complete refurbishment of the estate they took ove

isnt that why the council signed over the rights to Darnley & Arden for nominal fees. i think it was a £1, because they did have funding in place. Glen Oaks promised the people of Darnley the moon then shat upon them from a great hieght. The new build houses they were promised to the people of Darnley were mainly sold privatly. They hadn't finished upgrading Darnley when they bought Arden. Arden was a shit hole, not thru the fault of the people as most as decent & hard working but thru years of neglect by Glasgow District Council.
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:15 pm

OLDFART wrote:
Unfortunately Glen Oaks did not have access to the money required to carry out a complete refurbishment of the estate they took ove

isnt that why the council signed over the rights to Darnley & Arden for nominal fees. i think it was a £1, because they did have funding in place. Glen Oaks promised the people of Darnley the moon then shat upon them from a great hieght. The new build houses they were promised to the people of Darnley were mainly sold privatly. They hadn't finished upgrading Darnley when they bought Arden. Arden was a shit hole, not thru the fault of the people as most as decent & hard working but thru years of neglect by Glasgow District Council.

Sorry OLDFART but you obviously didn't read my previous post just decided to take a bit out to make your point.

GLASGOW DISTRICT COUNCIL/GLASGOW CITY COUNCIL DID NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH ARDEN. IT WAS SCOTTISH HOMES WHO TRANSFERRED THE HOUSES TO GLEN OAKS.

Glen Oaks didn't promise new build houses to the residents of Arden. They only had the finance to offer new kitchens and bathrooms. As far as I am aware what Glen Oaks promised for Darnley was what they delivered. It was always intended to have private houses to help finance the improvements to the rented houses and it was felt that having mixed tenure houses in an area makes it more viable. Time will tell id this works but going through Darnley now I am sure most people would agree that it is currently working and hopefully continues to be sustainable.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:26 pm

onyirtod I just noticed another one of your tedious and immature wee asides where you yet again fail to understand the point being made.
:roll:

Isn't suggesting that Colin and Justin wouldn't last 5 minutes in that close with those guys simply helping reinforce with a UK tv audience, the overall, and misleading, image of Glasgow as a grimy, violent, slum ridden scene.

My point is about who would produce the best production 'up a close' in Arden... which was the starting point for both productions. Funny how you jumped to the stereotypical Glasgow image issue :D
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:41 pm

my auntie and uncle lived in kilbeg terrace in arden when i was younger and it was a nice area at that time which was the sixties the block they lived in had a verandah and a coal hole door on the landing so the coal man could deliver coal if you were out.
the only drawback was it was an invite for burglars and they broke in that way if i remember rightly it was a near neighbours son who was responsible, my granpa had metal plates made and got large coach bolts and put these on the back of the coal hole door so that it couldnt be accessed any more as they had stopped coal fires by that time as i think it became a smokeless zone area(same as castlemilk)
they then moved to barrhead to a tower block opposite the spillers dog food factory then they moved to paisley as the flats were being let to druggies and the area started to go downhill.
both are now sadly passed away as are both my parents and my mums mum and dad, but finding this site has brought back many memories of staying in glasgow during the summer and easter holidays and staying for the weekend
are the flats at kilbeg terrace still standing or have they been demolished?
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MalcolmB » Fri May 13, 2011 2:13 pm

I used to live there when I was wee in the early 80s and man was it hell! I'm pretty much scarred for life by that place but when I pass through there now it's a lot different. The people have changed a lot but the new houses are downright ugly. They razed vile buildings to replace them with modern vile buildings.

Arden will never be as good as when it was a farm.
MalcolmB
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)