INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby turbozutek » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:14 pm

SnakeCorp wrote:Hi,

I'm SnakeCorp aka Dave and have sneaked over here from the UER.CA site. I'm from North Wales and my interests include photography, architecture and boooooooookkake.

grampas pants you say ?? HURGHH!!!!!

Chris...
Last edited by turbozutek on Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:15 pm

welcome SnakeCorp.. enjoy HG.
and can I point out that we’re not all followers of that religion

Fossil
:)
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby fearty » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:12 pm

Hello everyone. Just discovered this site and still have lots to trawl through. May or may not post again depending on what I find and whether I'm made welcome :wink:
fearty
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sharon » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:29 pm

Welcome fearty... don't be feart. We like to share our love here.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DMcNay » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:26 am

8O
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:13 am

Sharon wrote:Welcome fearty... don't be feart. We like to share our love here.

Among other things.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby thecatsmother » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:57 pm

Sharon wrote:Welcome fearty... don't be feart. We like to share our love here.

Why do you think he's feart? :wink:
thecatsmother
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby teclo » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:37 am

Hey! I'm new, but I've been reading the forum for a week or so now.

I am from Dumbarton and have explored all there is to explore here, ie: The distillery, the waste ground down by Dumbarton castle before it was all demolished and the Stadium of Shite was built, the oil terminal between Bowling and Dumbarton and the old docks down at Bowling.

Not much left to explore here, so looking for something more exciting. Recently took up geocaching for a lark.

Anyway, how do..
teclo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:49 am

teclo wrote:Hey! I'm new, but I've been reading the forum for a week or so now.

I am from Dumbarton and have explored all there is to explore here, ie: The distillery, the waste ground down by Dumbarton castle before it was all demolished and the Stadium of Shite was built, the oil terminal between Bowling and Dumbarton and the old docks down at Bowling.

Not much left to explore here, so looking for something more exciting. Recently took up geocaching for a lark.

Anyway, how do..

The distillery ? Tell me about it ? Any pics ?

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:54 am

Welcome to Hidden Glasgow teclo :D

teclo wrote:Recently took up geocaching for a lark.

Wanna tell us about this geocaching got a GPS so might give it a try myself with a few folks from round here sometime.

Have you got any interior shots of the distillery ? place is/was a death trap with that cowboy demolition outfit that are on site. :evil:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:02 am

Pgcc93 wrote:got a GPS

Want to help me find the Mausoleum at Cambusnethan Priory then? It's hidden in the middle of a forest, might not be there, but still appears on all the maps...
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:02 am

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=geocaching

Its very popular.

Welcome Telco. :)
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby teclo » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:28 am

The Ballantines distillery in Dumbarton was the largest and tallest brick building in the area, apparently a brick by brick facsimille of the one in Canada. When looking at it from the castle it just dominates the area beyond the waste ground down by the River Leven. My mate and I would sit on the old dock down there and plan many moonlit ninja raids on the building using an ever increasing arsnel of small boats and grappling gear, masks and stuff.

As it turns out, our moonlit raid occured one night earlier this year as we were making out way back from the Elephant and Castle, our _Local_ and we stopped at the gate. I had walked by earlier that day and noticed that Tony could slip under the gate being the whippet he is and I could clamber over the top, the lardy ass that I am. And so, it was that night, vodka fuelling our interest we made our way in.

It was quite interesting in the grounds as you really don't know the full scale of the building until you are behind it and looking right up, it is huge. It was the perfect night for our exploring as the sky was clear and the moon was full, there were a couple of lights on and they helped a little.

Walking around the area took us ages and I think we left after 3am after unsuccessfully trying to find a way in that didn't mean pulling the plywood from one of the covered windows.

We played about on the weighbridge, it is worth noting that Tony wasn't heavy enough to register a reading on the bridge, but I was :( Thankfully though, I am not the weight of a Whisky filled lorry.

We found a set of stairs and the discussion went like this:

ME: Look stairs.
Tony: Where do they go?
ME: (Deadpan) They go up...

:)

On our second excursion in there we were joined by my brother, who was not exactly dressed for the trip wearing light colours. Sadly though, the roof of the building was the roosting place for seaguls and we were lucky to escape this time with our lives ( and our jackets crap free ).

Our third and final visit over the fence was pretty much a disaster, by this time, the demolision had well and truely started and we thought that we may be able to get inside the building this time. So again, vodka in our bellies tony and I climbed through the fence. We got up round the first corner and came across a guard hut. Sneeking underneeth the hut we could hear a tv and someone moving about, so we legged it.

It was escaping this time that I almost broke my ankle having to clamber down some rubble I slipped on some mud. Which wasn't much fun.

Sadly, all the times we went in was after the pub, unplanned and therefor we didn't have a camera with us. But I will try and take some external shots this weekend.
teclo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby teclo » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:33 am

Pgcc93 wrote:Welcome to Hidden Glasgow teclo :D
Wanna tell us about this geocaching got a GPS so might give it a try myself with a few folks from round here sometime.

I use the geocaching.com website, which is pretty good.

No pics of the interior I am afraid, the building is in quite a state now and I don't think going inside would be the best idea. Which is a shame because I really want to go in before it is pulled down.
teclo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:04 am

teclo wrote:The Ballantines distillery in Dumbarton

teclo why not start your first new topic on this subject over on the HG projects page I've a few pics kicking around that I'll post up. 8)
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)