Freeview

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Freeview

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:29 pm

My Freeview box has mysteriously 'acquired' Setanta Sports on Channel 34. AFAIK I've never had this service before. It's presently showing Halifax v Ebbsfleet (fitba').

Have I just been particularly unfortunate?

Thanks in anticipation.

Onny
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Freeview

Postby Sharon » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:37 pm

i noticed it had appeared the other day too.... sadly none of the music or film channels have :(
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tobester » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:19 pm

Maybe a teaser to get people to subscribe? I know that virgin viewers are getting setanta free on the packages that dont have it for a weekend soon.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:23 am

Later on last night it had gone back to 'encrypted' so possible just a teaser after all.

Thanks both.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:08 am

I think they used to give you a free game now and again to get you to sign up.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby engineer » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:12 am

onyirtodd wrote:.........It's presently showing Halifax v Ebbsfleet (fitba').

Onny

not much of a teaser
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:50 pm

The dratted Freeview box keeps freezing, not starting recordings at the right time, forgetting to record series, etc, etc, etc. Lots of people with the same problems in Amazon's reviews for the model. Some of them say it's because the Freeview signal isn't good enough.

Anyone know if that's plausible? And if it is, will it be the same for all makes? (That's code for would it be worth coughing up for a more expensive one?). Thanking you for your thoughts...
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:57 pm

It sounds like the problems I've had with various boxes. It seems that nothing purpose built can be relied upon these days. The BT Vision box was the best of a bad bunch and the Sony DVR is an abomination. In the end I built my own media PC and after some fettling, that behaves itself. Expensive, I know, but if you've already got a PC running Windows 7, all you need to do is install a TV card and it will run through WIndows Media Centre. Should cost about 60 pounds plus a bit of tinkering around.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:49 pm

Eeek Brig(e) - Thanks for the info, but that's way above my pay grade (Windows 7? I've just about got XP to behave how I want it to - though it's possible it's vice versa).

Sounds as though boughten boxes are pretty much as bad as each other then?
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:53 am

That's been my experience. I do believe though, if you hunt around, a previous generation Panasonic DVR is the business.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby TEAMSANO » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:59 pm

on this subject, has anyone had any trouble with channels as of the last month?

i no longer receive stv, ch4 and ch5 on digital, altho i do on analogue signal. this will be no use once the analogue signal drops later on this year. my friend not far from me had the same problem, but he decided to get virgin installed. a ploy by cable operators somehow?
TEAMSANO
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:12 pm

you will need to reset/retune your freeview box and all should be well
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:35 pm

TEAMSANO wrote:on this subject, has anyone had any trouble with channels as of the last month?

i no longer receive stv, ch4 and ch5 on digital, altho i do on analogue signal. this will be no use once the analogue signal drops later on this year. my friend not far from me had the same problem, but he decided to get virgin installed. a ploy by cable operators somehow?

Happened with my dads tv too, turned out his aerial wasnt in properly, try the aerial
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Grahame » Fri May 27, 2011 6:30 pm

TEAMSANO wrote:on this subject, has anyone had any trouble with channels as of the last month?

Yep, this just happened to me today when I retuned following the insistent and annoying pop-up message on the telly. I now have no STV, channel 4 or 5 on digital. The channels are there, they're just not strong enough to hold a decent signal. Yet they were fine before I did the retune! Grrr....

We have a communal hi-gain wideband antenna, and I tried reconnecting to the old aerial (also hi-gain), but things are just the same. It's pants!

The digital signal will get stronger when they do finally off the analogue, but that's not much help at the moment. Could really do with an 'undo retune' button on the telly remote! ::):
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri May 27, 2011 6:44 pm

I had to replace my signal booster recently because the old one died. It's a wee gadget that takes power from the mains and you plug the aerial into one socket and up to four tellies can be connected to the output sockets. I have a ten metre run from the aerial socket to the bedroom which works with the booster but not with one of these two-from-one connectors. It's made by Philex and I bought it in PC World. It looks like an alien mothership.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)