HG Movie Critique.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: HG Movie Critique.

Postby Doorstop » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:54 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Went to see 'Neds' the other day & really enjoyed it. The director Peter Mullan really captures the period, especially the school scenes and though I don't remember teachers smoking in class, he has the over use of the 'belt' down to a T. There are some leaps of imagination required to accept the main characters jump from a desire for education to a penchant for evisceration but then again, the movie is only two hours long. Thre are numerous scenes of violence throughout but very few are graphic & none contain much in the way of gore. There is plenty of horror to be had though this is mainly due to the anticipation of what is about to happen rather than what actualy occurs.

The performance of newcomer Conor McCarron is truly something to behold, he is a natural talent & is totaly believable in the lead role. Peter Mullan's turn as the drunken bully of a father is also superb & equaly believable. The are also some moments of sublime comedy, mainly from well kent actor Gary Lewis's sarcastic schoolteacher & Christopher Wallace's portrayal of 'Wee T'

I'd recommend this this film without hesitation & the music is fabulous too btw.

Excellent review here:
Read on

Nice splurge there HH .. thanks for that .. it's been sitting in my 'To Watch' tray for a while now.

I had planned a viewing at the weekend but I think things are going to be a bit hectic (Clutha on Saturday and then out for dinner on Sunday) so it looks like a Monday night jobber.

My interest has well and truly been pricked now .. nice one. 8)
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:41 am

if i were you mr stop i would go to the saturday matinee showing rather than the clutha.i have been tipped off that the clutha is to be invaded by ruffians this very saturday and the local constabulary have been put on red alert.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:25 pm

yep went to see Neds with my Film club group last tuesday @ the GFT, took me right back to the 70s and the way life was.

Ive been fortunate enough to have been brought up by good parents, it was a good insight to what peter mullan elaborated in directing this film of what went on within a disfunctional family and the effects it has on the children...still happening in this day and age but on a higher and self destructional level. :|

Up for few awards,well done peter. :D

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Sun May 01, 2011 10:39 pm

Saw TT 3D tonight. Well worth a watch, even if you don't know the Isle of Man or have an interest in bikes. Also, Guy Martin. I would!
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon May 02, 2011 6:12 am

13 episodes of "Supernatural" yesterday .. a very underrated show, in my opinion.

Still only half way through series one and, as the cold is now 80% gone, the remainder will probably have to go on the back burner for a bit as things to do,training to beast into etc etc etc but hey, enjoyed it yesterday nonetheless.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon May 02, 2011 3:14 pm

Went to see Thor the other day, nothing great thats not been seen before in the modern day CGI dominated superhero movies.

Green Lantern looks a bit bettter although still infested by SFX, looking forward to see what this is like next month.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon May 02, 2011 3:55 pm

Ooh, looks good. For a moment I thought you meant Green Hornet which I saw last week.

Pretty good if you like your super-heroes a bit tongue in cheek and more that a bit slapstick. Not really my bag though.

Enjoyable enough to make it through to the end titles without going in the bin however.

6/10.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue May 03, 2011 9:39 pm

LEON starring A young Natalie Portman + jean Reno in a classic performance.

Screening on Friday 13 May at 23.00pm @ the GFT with free entry to NICE N SLEAZY with your ticket afterwards.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed May 04, 2011 3:05 pm

X Men 1st Class the beginings of Xavier & Magneto out next month. :D Am just a big kid !

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue May 10, 2011 7:13 pm

Image .. << IMDB >>

With the forthcoming Christian "rapture" event supposedly a foregone conclusion on the 21st of this month (get your affairs in order people, it's judgement day. If you haven't seen a priest so far I strongly suggest you do so :roll: ) I thought that this movie may have some resonance with the forthcoming Giant Beardy Sky Wizard mass kidnapping.

Not a bit of it.

It seems that the world in scene has been plunged into a kind of permanent night, and anyone caught in the darkness outside of a light source is instantly “raptured” by shadow people, leaving nothing but a heap of clothes on the floor.

The reason for the shadow people invasion is a mystery, but at one point characters ramble on about the lost colony of Roanoke — the first English colony in North America, which disappeared without a trace. The only clue to their whereabouts was the word “croatoan” carved on a tree. This historical curiosity is supposed to somehow relate to the characters’ predicament and provide a route to explanation. A route never quite visited in this flick let alone travelled down over any distance sufficient enough to spark any depth of interest or intrigue.

The script for this movie provides little raw material for the performers to work with, none of the actors acquit themselves with much dignity or effort. Some writers would have used this inexplicable event (which at first does give a jolt of crepuscular intrigue) as an opportunity to explore the nature of religious faith, strength of community, or even just the frantic dynamics of group survival.

This movie does none of that, displaying a vaccuum of imagination that's at first mystifying and eventually insulting.

In the past, with films like Transsiberian, the director Brad Anderson has shown that he can craft taut and creepy thrillers out of unlikely material, but here there's little he can do but capture the looks of terror on his actors' faces as the cliched (and not particularly well rendered) pools of spreading shadow get closer and closer.

Again and again.

Until ultimately providing a staid and highly predictable climax that neither answers any questions or carries things through to a possible (dear God, no!) sequel.

Avoid.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue May 10, 2011 11:08 pm

An 'HG Movie Critique' at last, well done, son. :D
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon May 16, 2011 10:53 pm

Gona go see this tomorow, use my 3d specs that i bought a few months ago, looks a bit better from the norm. 8)

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:40 pm

Prometheus, prequel to Alien.

A Film by Ridley Scott, due out later this year.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:59 pm

Mori wrote:Prometheus, prequel to Alien.

A Film by Ridley Scott, due out later this year.

That looks interesting!
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:51 am

It does, indeed, look good.

Primed and ready.

Meanwhile, in a cinema in an alternate universe near you .. http://www.behance.net/gallery/Movies-F ... se/2783319
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions