Govan Lyceum Regeneration

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Cinema to star in £20,000 Govan revamp

Postby norman mcnamee » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:27 am

Hi Josef, I know all about Scottish Cinemas, if you look you will find several of my cinema photos
I have had many locations of cinemas from this site, best one on the web for cinemas
Thanks for thinking of me
Bye for now, norrie
Bye for now, Norrie
norman mcnamee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby decorian » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:57 pm

Hi - Our group would be interested in getting involved with the Lyceum project. We have the Cinema Organ from the Odeon (Paramount) Glasgow in store and are looking for a home for it. It has a large ART DECO console which would ideally match the existing Lyceum interior. It was made by the John Compton Organ Company in London in 1934 and is the biggest Theatre Organ ever installed in Scotland. As part of its workings it has an original Toy Counter and effect department for accompanying silent films. We are very experienced in installing these types of organs into public buildings having just completed the Wurlitzer Cinema Organ at Pollokshaws Burgh Halls, which is Scotland's oldest cinema, still standing. Having been Glasgow solicitor John Maxwell's, the founder of the famous ABC chain, first cinema in 1910. Our silent film presentations have been drawing-in large audiences and the organ is about to be the subject of a short film to be made here. Our group are now looking for our next project and Govan would be an ideal site. Please have a look at our website at scottishcinemaorgantrust.org.uk or our Pollokshaws Burgh Hall Page.

Regards - Ian Macnaught
decorian
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mori » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:00 pm

Ben Cooper was in @ the Lyceum yesterday and did a brilliant exploration portfolio of the cinemas state, a great help Ben, thanks for your time, this will help convince the funders to give us the money we need to save this gem. :D

Mori

Lyceum Regeneration
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BenCooper » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:48 pm

Very happy to help - it's a stunning place that really derserves to be saved..
www.transientplaces.co.uk
BenCooper
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:51 pm

Facebook Page up and running folks, please give your input. :D

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:37 pm

A short video produced by Glasgow School of Art Core research team. :D

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby norman mcnamee » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:24 am

Well I for one hope that the Lyceum gets off the ground and has at least a cinema for main stream films
Too may of our local cinemas have been demolished
While the Multi Plexes are comfortable, there is nothing to beat a local cinema
Bye for now, norrie
Bye for now, Norrie
norman mcnamee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AzimScot » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:44 am

Always enjoyed visiting the classic MGM cinema they had in Sauchiehall St. The atmosphere was great and ned free is what all cinemas should be. Location away from the city centre and the outskirts of city is attractive for drivers and locals.

Dire need of more cinemas in Glasgow.
AzimScot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby norman mcnamee » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi azimscot, there has been talk over the years of new Cinemas but they would have been Multiplexes
They are very comfortable but not as intimate as the old cinemas
Bye for now, norrie
Bye for now, Norrie
norman mcnamee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:35 pm

AzimScot wrote:Always enjoyed visiting the classic MGM cinema they had in Sauchiehall St. The atmosphere was great and ned free is what all cinemas should be. Location away from the city centre and the outskirts of city is attractive for drivers and locals.

Dire need of more cinemas in Glasgow.

My personal favourite was the Toledo in Muriend.
It was built in an imitation of a moor castle, I think.
It was converted into flats but the facade was retained.

Wasn't there a cinema in Shawlands opposite the Academy? I think it was called the Elephant and latterly was a bingo hall, as many of the old cinema's became, indeed I remember a book published in the late 70's about Glasgow that was called 'Slums, Streets and Bingo H'alls.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby norman mcnamee » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:59 pm

Hi RDR, I am sure it was The Waverly
Bye for now, norrie
Bye for now, Norrie
norman mcnamee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nodrog » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:00 pm

RDR wrote:My personal favourite was the Toledo in Muriend.
It was built in an imitation of a moor castle, I think.
It was converted into flats but the facade was retained.

Wasn't there a cinema in Shawlands opposite the Academy? I think it was called the Elephant and latterly was a bingo hall, as many of the old cinema's became, indeed I remember a book published in the late 70's about Glasgow that was called 'Slums, Streets and Bingo H'alls.

There's a good thread on old Glasgow cinemas here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3220

The Toledo in Muirend was Spanish in style, and had a similar design of auditorium. Details here:
http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/glasgow/toledo.html
There are a few fragments of the interior decoration re-used in the entrance space to the flats...

The Elephant - originally White Elephant - in Shawlands is still there, although now converted to a shop. There have been numerous rumours about G1 Group re-opening a couple of screens in the building, similar to how they run the Grosvenor in the West End, although nothing much has been heard about that in the last year or so.
http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/glasgow/elephant.html

The one round the corner was the Waverley, latterly a bingo, then snooker hall, now also a G1 Group venue now...
http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/glasg ... index.html

Cheers,

Nodrog
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:39 pm

The recently discoverd Arc lamps and projectors underneath the auditorium, images By Gordon and Garry of Scottish Cinemas also Chris O'kane of the Projected Picture Trust... hoping to restore these gems to their orginal format.

And a Fab ice lolly wraper discoverd under one of the seats in the balcony auditorium.
Last edited by Mori on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:12 pm

when the lyceum was sold to county bingo they bricked off the front of the balcony and showed films there from 74-81 and also split the auditorium so that there was seperate entrance to the cinema part and used the original paybox for cinema admissions whilst bingo was held in the stalls area this info is from scotlands cinemas and theatres website
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:26 pm

the researcher wrote:when the lyceum was sold to county bingo they bricked off the front of the balcony and showed films there from 74-81 and also split the auditorium so that there was seperate entrance to the cinema part and used the original paybox for cinema admissions whilst bingo was held in the stalls area this info is from scotlands cinemas and theatres website

yer right researcher! ive got my history wrong on my previous post that i've now edited. :oops:
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)