Cathkin Park

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Cathkin Park

Postby applemaca » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:44 pm

Found a wee something that might be of interest to you folks "Still seeing Red"..........http://www.frequency.com/video/can-you-hear-hi/132238 First saw this on the 4docs site a few years back before it was dropped. If you've not watched it before....ENJOY If you're watching it again......ENJOY.... :)
“Let me in old pensioner……for I am a bogus gasman, wi fake ID, n’am here tae ransack yur hoose!”
applemaca
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:15 pm

first time ive seen that,ta very much.brought a nostalgic tear to the auld eyes as i stood on the terraces at cathkin as youngster with my brother,father and grandfather.fifty years old now and still wear a thirds top.long sleeve in the winter short sleeve in the summer.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby applemaca » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:23 pm

might run a little more smoothly here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i182Qqt0kGA
“Let me in old pensioner……for I am a bogus gasman, wi fake ID, n’am here tae ransack yur hoose!”
applemaca
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:28 pm

banjo wrote: and still wear a thirds top.long sleeve in the winter short sleeve in the summer.

six monthly was cycle?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:30 am

aye dex,something like that.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby applemaca » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:39 pm

Albion Rovers FC bought the Floodlights from Cathkin Park in 1968 & only replaced them around 2000'ish I believe, I wonder if anyone had the notion to hold on to any of them?
applemaca
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:53 am

i was at a thirds re union night and someone brought the corner flags,not quite floodlights i know.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby applemaca » Tue May 17, 2011 10:06 pm

Stumbled across this wee gem this evening. Can you name the players?........don't be looking at the tags!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0elb8xLH40
applemaca
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby applemaca » Sun May 22, 2011 8:21 pm

heading into Cathkin Park on Wednesday and hope to get a few photo's of the latest work going on the old ground......................anyone suggest another subject while I'm over, transport related would be great.
applemaca
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby briggsy326 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:27 pm

I'm too young to remember Third Lanark - well, I say 'too young', I hadn't been born yet when they disappeared. Have been to Cathkin Park a few times to see the old terrace and it always strikes me as awe inspiring to think that that was where top football was once played. Maybe it will be again some day. :)
briggsy326
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Twizzle » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:47 am

My dad was a Thirds supporter and took me to see them most Saturday afternoons. The custom then was to lift your kids over the turnstiles, and I enjoyed this ritual. I can't remember what he paid for himself to get in. The terraces were full of men, and they all seemed to be wearing the same raincoats. Broken buttons and broken teeth spring to mind, along with a lot of coarse shouting. The raincoat thing was a real pain for me when dad sent me to get two cups of bovril (no pies for us....) at half time - it was easy to find the bovril stand, but try to find your own dad in a sea of men all dressed the same! The isles weren't numbered, so it was really easy to get lost.

The terraces were covered in compacted ash and on a dry day I hated it when Thirds scored - all the men started jumping up and down, and the dust was choking - it was all very well for them at five or six feet, but I was down around knee height in the thick of it. Once after a match, when we went back to dad's car, he realised he had left his key on the inside, and had locked us out. To save a half fare, he left me "standing guard" by the car while he took the 105 trolleybus home to get a spare key, then came back some hours later. I don't think many people would do that nowadays.
Twizzle
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby robertpool » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:53 pm

This is one of 6 that l owned. I know have 4, gave 2 of them to my brother.

1963-4 The Third Lanark Athletic Club Limited, New Cathkin Park, Glasgow. #1 by Robert Pool's Glasgow Collection, on Flickr
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects