Chapel at the Western

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Chapel at the Western

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:34 am

I realise I am useless at using the search facility but I did try and came up with nothing but a list of the most recent topics.

Have we discussed the Chapel in the Western Infirmary?

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/lo/features/7020645.html

When the old Notre Dame college in Dowanhill was sold the chapel was deconsecrated and turned into something. Any body who worked at 74 Victoria Crescent know what happened to it?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby russ » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:09 pm

It's a big office at the moment with a mezzanine level in it. The building has now been sold off for redevelopment and is going to be turned into flats.

I worked there up until last year when we were told to move although Scottish Screen Archives are still there as well as Learning and Teaching Scotland. LTS occupy the chapel.
russ
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:50 pm

My girlfiend works in the out patients department, whitch she thought was an old church in itself, but has never known of the afore mentioned up and running one?
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:12 pm

I worked in the Western and although I saw the sign for the Chapel I never knew it was as big as it is. A real bit of hidden glasgow 8)
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:53 pm

There is a motion on it in the Scottish Parliament just now.

S2M-03589 Dr Jean Turner (Strathkelvin and Bearsden) (Ind): That the Parliament welcomes any effort by NHS Greater Glasgow to save the Alexander Elder War Memorial chapel when the Western Infirmary closes in 2010-11; notes that the chapel, which was built by John James Burnet, commemorated its 80th year on 8 November 2005 and houses many beautiful stained glass windows and plaques dedicated to doctors and nurses of the Western Infirmary who gave their lives in two world wars, and therefore believes that the chapel should be retained completely, not only because of its historical importance and beauty, but because it is used daily by all faiths and has multi-faith pastors and nuns and because its very existence came about as an act of remembrance for those lost in war.

I guess folks could contact your MSP and get them to sign the motion...
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Chapel at the Western Infirmary

Postby Guacho » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:07 pm

Pictures of the chapel exterior taken from the south
Apologies for the quality, only had my phone and it was taken through glass.

ImageGlasgow Western Infirmary chape l2 by guachglw, on Flickr

The interior of the chapel is quite something- difficult to photograph though. I'd never noticed the outside before, it's kind of tagged onto G block.
Last edited by Guacho on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Chapel at the Western

Postby mack4 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:14 pm

I worked for a flooring contractor in the mid 90s on the refurb ? of the mortuary in the Western, part of which, was once a church/chapel.I'm only going by the crosses carved on the old stonework though,not being very religious myself.There was also a glasshouse with tropical plants though sadly padlocked and abandoned in an unused (now demolished) wing but,that would have been late 80s.
Hope this helps.
mack
mack
mack4
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:32 pm

As I recall the glasshouse was behind the 'new' 10storey(?) building and went around the time they decided the WIG needed extra parking spaces.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:18 pm

From the British Medical Journal , Dec 19th 1925

'Two war memorials were unveiled in the chapel of the Glasgow Western Infirmary on December 12th, in the
presence of a large number of nurses and members of the general public. The matron of the infirmary, Miss Gregory
Smith, unveiled a memorial in memory of Lieutenant Donald Mackintosh, V.C., son of the superintendent of the
infirmary, Colonel D. J. Mackintosh, C.B., M.V.O., which took the form of two stained glass windows erected by the
Nurses' League. A tablet was unveiled also in memory of two nurses, Sister Ella Maud Bond and Staff Nurse Margaret S. Dewar, who lost their lives in the war. The Rev. George H. Morrison, D.D., conducted a commemoration
service, and delivered an address in which he recalled the high esteem and affection in which those whom they
were commemorating had been held. Such a joint commemoration was particularly appropriate because of the
united comradeship, co-operation, and self-sacrifice of the two sexes in the great war. Colonel Mackintosh for many
years had directed the Western Infirmary with a grasp of detail which had placed him high in the ranks of organizers; no man had surpassed him in devotion to the welfare of the great nursing profession. It was, therefore, fitting that in remembering the son the Nurses' League should also bear the father in mind. The two windows were the first of a series to be placed in the chapel. The matron of the infirmary, unveiling the memorials, spoke of the high esteem and regard in which Lieutenant Mackintosh and the two nurses had been held by the infirmiary staff. Colonel J. A. Roxburgh, accepting the custody of the memorials on behalf of the infirmary board of managers, said that they would serve to remind them of the spirit of devotion to duty and self-sacrifice which had always
distinguished the medical and nursing professions. At the conclusion of the service wreaths were placed at the base of the memorials.'
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:49 pm

The Alexander Elder Memorial Chapel, opened in November 1925, was built following a donation from the Elder shipbuilding family.
It was designed by Sir John Burnet, and is dedicated to the memory of the doctors and nurses from the Western who died in both World Wars.

As well as numerous plaques, many of the stained glass windows (created on themes of healing) are personally dedicated to staff members who lost their lives.

The chapel is still very much open and is a beautifully peaceful and tranquil little slice of hidden Glasgow.

dazza
-
-

Postby rabmania » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:18 pm

Great post, thank you.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:49 pm

What a beautiful peaceful interior and structure, would be a great set for a filming location. :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:27 am

seconded :)
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:35 pm

Mori wrote:What a beautiful peaceful interior and structure, would be a great set for a filming location. :D

I believe it is available for filming through GCC.
dazza
-
-

Postby Guacho » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:33 pm

A couple of views of the west facade, concealed by the 1930s build on Church Street.

ImageAlexander Elder Memorial Chapel west facade by guachglw, on Flickr

ImageAlexander Elder Memorial Chapel Inscription by guachglw, on Flickr

ImageAlexander Elder Memorial Chapel windows by guachglw, on Flickr

ImageAlexander Elder Memorial Chapel windows inscription by guachglw, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0178 by guachglw, on Flickr
Ominous fire bushes

ImageAlexander Elder Memorial Chapel context by guachglw, on Flickr
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects