Tennents Bar

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Tennents Bar

Postby mrsix » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:41 pm

(Posted in another part of the forum, should probably be in here)

Really sad news that Tennents bar on the corner, halfway down Byres Road is to be ' extensively refurbished' by Mitchells & Butlers Brewery in the New Year.

It's to be shut on the 1st Jan for 2 months and gutted. Apparently the Basement will be no more, it being made into a large kitchen. The main room will be knocked into the 'Wee T' and the place filled with tables as the Brewery change the emphasis away from 'old fashioned meeting place/sports bar' to 'classy restaurant-bar'.

Those of you who know the place will know that most of the clientèle have ended up in there precisely because every other pub in the West End has undergone this alleged improvement. There is a petition behind the bar for anyone wishing to record their objection against Mitchells & Butlers (complaints can also be made directly at http://www.mbplc.com/index.asp?pageid=19)

If anybody is wanting to take pictures of one of Glasgow's most famous bars before it has its character destroyed forever, you've got 2 months.
The Psychogeographical Commission - Dystopian Folk for Dystopian Folk.

http://www.psychetecture.com
mrsix
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Tennents Bar

Postby Alan L » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:59 pm

Ach well, yet another pub in which to lounge on a couch whilst drinking £3.50 a pint lager then.

I think I'll pop in tomorrow and sign the petition. Tennent's is one of my favourite pubs in the city, precisely because it hasn't been fecked around with. The West End isn't exactly short of swanky pub-diners, indeed I think the recent Curlers makeover has been done exptrmely well.

I have no problem with mawkit old pubs being renovated or closed down, but there's absolutely no need to gut Tennent's. Tis a shame, to say the least.
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yonza bam » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:57 am

It's been going downhill since they let the women in, imo ::):

Good news for The Aragon, though.
yonza bam
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby MungoDundas » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:45 pm

Although he was none too keen on Glasgow, reportedly this was Dirk Bogarde's
favourite bar, once of age, here.

So, maybe by next Spring, looks like my Primary School twins will be able to pass
remarks on yet another accessible food and beverage location on Byres Rd.?
Have mercy on me, for there's a plenty enough between the charity shops already.

Might be that 'recent' PJ Champs will become the only normal bar left on
that thoroughfare.
MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mrsix » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:59 am

The Psychogeographical Commission - Dystopian Folk for Dystopian Folk.

http://www.psychetecture.com
mrsix
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby brickwall » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:15 pm

signed :)
eh?
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Rucola » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:03 pm

Mitchells & Butlers are a pub company, not a brewery. They don't brew anything. They are also the same gang of idiots who a couple of years ago tried to stop the Horse Shoe selling pies. There will need to be a proper campaign against this.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:39 pm

Rucola wrote:Mitchells & Butlers are a pub company, not a brewery. They don't brew anything. They are also the same gang of idiots who a couple of years ago tried to stop the Horse Shoe selling pies. There will need to be a proper campaign against this.

According to Roy Beers The Horseshoe is going the same way. Nicholson's

Scroll half way down the page.

http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/eating/eatingdrinking.php

When and where is the next HG night out?

It's Ok I found out from pat's West End Web Site. So let's save the pms.
Hollowhorn wrote:26 October 2010 - 10:23 PM'

HG is having their monthly drinks night on Friday in the Rhoderick Dhu in Wellington St. From 7.30 on, perhaps Tam fancies meeting some (coff coff) younger Glasgow women?

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:51 am

Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brickwall » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:10 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Rucola wrote:Mitchells & Butlers are a pub company, not a brewery. They don't brew anything. They are also the same gang of idiots who a couple of years ago tried to stop the Horse Shoe selling pies. There will need to be a proper campaign against this.

According to Roy Beers The Horseshoe is going the same way. Nicholson's

[/quote]

Nice to see the disabled have space to park thier limousines ::):
eh?
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:21 pm

I seem to remember a girlfried and her mates "invading" Tennents as it was a "male" only bar to make some sort of statement! They all thought it a great idea or some sort of uni womens lib stuff. Anyway the girlfriend told me days later they all went in and did not know what to order. I dont think "wine" was on the menu. Anyhow some "old guy offered to buy them a "hauf an a hauf". Apparently their "leader" was a tad deflated when another old boy said "Hey my grandweans older than you. Mummy let you all out to-night to collect for a "bottling"!" Having surveyed "the talent" they re-grouped and moved up to "Curlers". I had to explain a hauf and a hauf was a well know Glasgow drink and a "bottling" as I knew it was when "lassies" went round the pubs collecting for one of their mates when she was getting married.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:38 pm

Sharon wrote:Quoted in the evening times

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/edit ... -1.1063907

:o I thought you meant the HG night out.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Late to the Party » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:06 pm

Panic over?

it will continue to be a real pub – not a brasserie, not a restaurant and not a gastro pub.

any refurbishment will be carried out in a sensitive manner complementing the character of the existing pub.

From the article here: http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/edit ... -1.1067535

On a related note, anyone know what's going on with Uisge Beatha at the moment? Was all boarded up when I last went there for a pint. Hear rumours of renovation rather than closure but nothing solid.
Late to the Party
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:28 pm

Late to the Party wrote: ..................
On a related note, anyone know what's going on with Uisge Beatha at the moment? Was all boarded up when I last went there for a pint. Hear rumours of renovation rather than closure but nothing solid.

From their website

"Dear Customers. As of Sunday 17th October we will be closed for refurbishment for approx 6 weeks. We will be back in December with your all new Water Of Life. Please also note that our Wednesday night Quiz and our Sunday night Folk Session will be moving to the Three Judges from week commencing 18th October."
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:20 pm

Ye gods. Curlers, Tennents & Uisge Beatha, collectively the reason for me bombing out of uni. Are you telling me these pubs weren't busy enough that they had to "modernise" them? Modernise, not necessarily meaning made better! God forbid any brewery pub should stand out from the others... what a shame. Gutted!
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants