INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Napalm » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:21 am

heh Mathews a laugh, good guy tho!

Friend thats just completed is called Stephen Hay, some of his tattoo pictures are on the walls just now. And girl in 2nd year is Sharon Diamond.
Napalm
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:32 am

Keep on Topic
This thread is for introducing yourself

Admin
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby DMcNay » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:20 am

The Modern Fossil wrote:Keep on Topic

Admin

They are on topic. They're introducing themselves, getting to know each other.....
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:38 pm

Thanks.

Gone to PM anyway
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:08 pm

dr_lightning wrote:
The Modern Fossil wrote:Keep on Topic

Admin

They are on topic. They're introducing themselves, getting to know each other.....

Doc with all due respect, you were not on line at 1.30 this morning...so please leave this to Admin

F
Fossil
-
-

Introducing Myself

Postby adject » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:53 pm

Hello! My name is Amy and I live in San Francisco. I work as a graphic designer for a comic book publisher (manga to be exact, if you're into comics). My interest in Glasgow is random and sudden... I find myself going week after next! But I'm looking forward to wandering around taking pictures of stuff.

I am very fond of urban archaeology sites (for lack of a better term) and have done a bit of wandering here in SF.

Here's some pictures (please ignore the crappy 2mp camera). The focus is different since most of our history is recent (barely anything over 150 years old out here) and I like all the graffiti that the kids do. But I can't WAIT to start poking around in older, creepier places with deeper history. Hope to find some info about such places on this board.

http://www.fotolog.net/adject/?photo_id=7139032
http://www.fotolog.net/adject/?photo_id=7140279
http://www.fotolog.net/adject/?photo_id=7270164
http://www.fotolog.net/adject/?photo_id=7363650
adject
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fossil » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:02 pm

Hi adject and welcome to HG.com. :)
When you do arrive maybe you can join some of us on our tours and visits to places….ahem that would defo take your fancy....
Over to you Turbozutek

Cool site I like the milk drinking one 8)

The Modern Fossil
Fossil
-
-

Postby turbozutek » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:10 pm

turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:18 pm

Adject... great photos.

And you should find plenty of good urban archaelogy to capture your imagination when in Glasgow. However, its not quite as plentiful as once it was as regeneration schemes are actually being fairly, well comprehensive if not successsful.

But a good guide - Turbozutek - would offer you an insight to places you cant just stumble into!!!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vicious » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:07 am

hey

i just started uni at strathclyde uni, an am lookin for some UEers to meet up with. no one in my flat is into UE, an i sure as hell dont fance goin to these places on my own, so if anyone is plannin on doin a bit of UE around glasgow, a pm wud b much appreciated!
regards ,tom
Vicious
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby youngsod » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:44 am

Hello all.

My name is Douglas. Born in Glasgow, grew up in Craigneuk, went to school in Motherwell (Glencairn Primary, Dalziel High). Now escaped to the much more pleasant environment that is Prestwick, but still working in Glasgow.

I grew up on Meadowhead Road, the street that the entrance to Ravenscraig was on. It was our house, then the road, then another row of houses, then the gas tanks.

Only trouble is when I was wee I was too good a boy to go into the 'craig. I was only ever in when I was about 20. My brother was an electrician there and had given me a pass to enable me to take shortcuts through it.

I was there the day the blew it up (got some good before & after pictures somewhere). Now it's totally gone apart from a substation which is only there because it also supplies the plate mill. I've been round it with my brother who was able to point out what all the piles of rubble and shadows on the ground used to be. Poor sod was close to tears.
youngsod
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Damn, missed a bit

Postby youngsod » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:45 am

I forgot to add. If anyone is up for a bit of UE in Lanarkshire / Glasgow / Ayrshire i'd be interested. Bit of a novice though, my only experience is a day surveying ROC posts with Nick Catford.
youngsod
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sharon » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:52 am

Welcome to HG youngsod, and i look forward to you digging out the ravenscraig pictures and posting them up for all to see. :)

I had a school trip to Ravenscraig as a kid, an odd thing to take kids to see, yet I am soooooooooooo glad they did!

Sadly I dont remember too much detail about it. Big, industrial... steel getting poured into a mould ... the smell... and it was a boiling hot day!

HG has an existing Ayrshire contingent who could point you in the direction of a few places worht checking out.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Damn, missed a bit

Postby purplegrum » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:32 am

youngsod wrote:I forgot to add. If anyone is up for a bit of UE in Lanarkshire / Glasgow / Ayrshire i'd be interested. Bit of a novice though, my only experience is a day surveying ROC posts with Nick Catford.

If you're interested in doing some ROC Posts youngsod then I'd meet up and do some if you want. I've been to most of the Ayrshire/Lanarkshire/Dumfriesshire ones.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby youngsod » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:18 am

I'm certainly up for some ROC posts. The day I spent with Nick was a real eye opener. The ones we did were all in Dumfries & Galloway and in the deep south of Ayrshire.

I will scan in the Ravenscraig photos when I get back from holiday. I have on of the view of the towers from our front garden on the day they came down. My mate has some of the aftermath. We sneaked in the back at the ore terminal to get a look at the demolished gas tanks. They were quite a sight. Bother were mostly still intact, and looked like two giant soup cans flattened on their sides. The 'lids' were even more spectacular, folded over like half tossed pancakes.

I had a quick wander round about a month ago, and there really is nothing there at all. Having said that I wonder if the below ground levels still exist, or indeed if it was just an urban legend.

My mate's dad used to be very high up in North Lanarkshire council, and he showed me the environmental report on the site. Let's just say don't be in a rush to buy any houses there.... Mind you the most fascinating thing was the details of the 50 metre deep concrete foundations for the blast furnaces.

Oh one other thing, I have a really nice aerial photo of the demolished sight, rather kindly sent to me my the PA firm who were handling the exebitions on the potential new town project. if anyone is interested I can post that up too
youngsod
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)