Re: Bombs over Glasgow in WW2

Postby banjo » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:16 am

wait till you get to the rocks family.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: BOMBS OVER GLASGOW

Postby Socceroo » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:41 am

Socceroo wrote:Fourteen members of the Rocks family were killed at 78 Jellicoe Street their ages ranged from 5 months old to 54 years old.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby eno363 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:38 pm

escotregen wrote:SOCCEROO another site of actual bomb damage is the 4 in a block of flats at the corner of Stonelaw Road and Dryborough Avenue in Rutherglen. This block sustained a direct hit and was badly damaged. Across Stonelaw Road where the Takare sheltered housing complex now is there used to be playing fields. I believe that the playing fields were constructed over some bomb craters from the same bombing run. It was believed at the time that the Luftwaffe were trying night time bombing of the nearby steel and other plant at Cambuslang, and maybe Ravescraig.
The nearby tenement block I lived in for a while in Stonelaw Road had some old well-settled internal structural cracks still evident - my old neighbour maintained that this was shock-wave damage from the bombing raid.

A while back Fossil posted the picture of a tramcar running by the very spot on Stonelaw Road - fasciniting wee item was that you could see the 'Black-out' white rings painted around the tree trunks.

I also started a thread a few months back you may be interested in. That was on WW2 brick built shelters (not the Anderson shelters) of which there are some remaining examples in Kings Park/Croftfoot.

[quote]My Father was home on leave from the Merchant navy at the time of the Rutherglen raid he stayed in East Main Street he remembers running out the back garden to see a German Bomber opening its bomb doors,he then ran back into the house and made shelter under the stairs in the "Glory Hole " he said that the house shook. This was the first bomb landing on Stonelaw school(got a photo of it) the second bomb landed on the Anderson shelter in the back garden in the corner house on Dryburgh Avenue killing the occupants.One of the family remained in the house sleeping and could not be wakened he survived. The third bomb landed in the south green of Rutherglen Bowling club. You can still see the shrapnel damage on a brass commeration plaque and on the brick wall, there was also a bungalow hit in Calderwood Road.
You can still see shrapnel damage on the Church on the corner of Dryburgh avenue
i will try and find the photo of Stonelaw school with its roof down. My dad also tells the story of walking down to Dalmarnock road to see the damage done my a Luftmine, he recalls the tram lines "looking like the big Dipper "they were targetting the Dalmarnock Power Station but missed and hit the tenement opposite killing many. you can still see the missing gap on the right( from Rutherglen going to Glasgow)
eno363
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby hambone71 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:36 pm

Queens Gardens in Dowanhill is one of the oldest west end terraces.

Number 2 to number 4 Queens Gardens where demolished after being bombed and you can still see damage on no5.

John Lawrence the builders built a block of 60's flats and lock-up garages in the bombsite. Owners of the flats had to be women living alone. The flats were demolished and the terrace reinstated about 12 years ago and are now home to a number of footballers amongst others.
hambone71
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:13 pm

hambone71 wrote: Owners of the flats had to be women living alone.

!

What was that about? And what happened if they took the notion to alter their single status later?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timhall » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:06 pm

I work for the Woodland Trust Scotland. We are hoping to purchase some land just above Dumbarton on which to plant native woodland (see http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/langcraigs)
On the site is the remains of a 'star bunker' at Maryland Farm above Overtoun House, which apparently was used to light decoys to fool the german bombers. We have been told that these bunkers were quite successful and many bombs were dropped on the Kilpatrick hills rather than Dumbarton itslef. Whilst no doubt many lives were saved, tragically of course many were lost. To commemorate these events we are hoping to work with a school in Dumbarton to encourage the children to learn about their local history and also to plant some commerative trees on the site.
We would be delighted to hear from anyone who can tell us more about the star bunker or perhaps has memories of the bombings or family connections with these events. This may help us bring the story 'to life' and we may even ask you to help the children with the planting of the trees.
If you can help, please contact me at [email protected]
Timhall
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:18 pm

You might find some info over at http://www.secretscotland.org.uk

Good luck in your search and with the trees.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:50 pm

My recently purchased copy of ABOUT JOHN FORD by Lindsay Anderson has re-woken my interesting in all things Fordian and I was pleased to discover this afternoon that the great director was briefly in Glasgow during WWII.

As a Commander in the USNR he spent the conflict as a combat cameraman. He was attached to the British Army during Operation Torch and was present at the unopposed landings at Algiers. In an interview with the US Naval Historical Centre oral history project recording his recollections of the Battle Of Midway, Ford digresses to when the Torch fleet sailed for Africa from the River Clyde.

"A very interesting journey up the Clyde (in Scotland) to see these ships in full daylight pulling out,(and) the factories along the side started their horns atooting and people yelled and screamed, and I sort of had the premonition, then "Well, the thing is about to start, I think we are going to take over this war." Seemed like old days.

It was the first emotion I had seen displayed in this way on the part of the (British) civilian population. It was really quite a wonderful sight if you know the Clyde. It's not very wide and as we ploughed, it's banks were lined with people, factory whistles blowing and a few people out with flags, I remember particularly one, someone, had a small American flag waving it like the dickens there. It was quite an inspiring sight. The outfit I was with was mostly, well I should say about 85% British, parachutists, commandos, different combat units, then we had a signal corps unit under a Colonel Dobbs, which was a very, very good unit."

Later he's asked the name of the ship he sailed on. "

Well, I forget the name of the ship, she was one of the - she was a Duchess boat. Wasn't the Duchess of Athol, or Duchess of Richmond, I forget what it was. She was one of the old Duchess boats that runs from - run from Montreal to England, some very fine boats."

Full interview: http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq81-8b.htm
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:47 pm

Never knew that about John Ford. Cheers Toby.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timhall » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:53 am

Timhall wrote:I work for the Woodland Trust Scotland. We are hoping to purchase some land just above Dumbarton on which to plant native woodland (see http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/langcraigs)
On the site is the remains of a 'star bunker' at Maryland Farm above Overtoun House, which apparently was used to light decoys to fool the german bombers. We have been told that these bunkers were quite successful and many bombs were dropped on the Kilpatrick hills rather than Dumbarton itslef. Whilst no doubt many lives were saved, tragically of course many were lost. To commemorate these events we are hoping to work with a school in Dumbarton to encourage the children to learn about their local history and also to plant some commerative trees on the site.
We would be delighted to hear from anyone who can tell us more about the star bunker or perhaps has memories of the bombings or family connections with these events. This may help us bring the story 'to life' and we may even ask you to help the children with the planting of the trees.
If you can help, please contact me at [email protected]

The name of this satrfish decoy is apparently Auchenreoch Decoy or Square Wood
Timhall
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Blinkered » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:22 pm

Thanks to all contributers to this fascinating thread. My mother's family lived in Oban Drive, North Kelvinside.
We were brought up on tales of the terrible nights of bombing, March 1941 which I've always assumed were the same nights as the Clydebank blitz. They narrowly escaped the bomb that hit Wilton Street and Queen Margaret Road. The theory at the time was that the Luftwaffe were trying to destroy the BBC studios in Queen Margaret Drive.
Blinkered
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Bombs over Clydebank in WW2

Postby katywon » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:31 am

I see that this topic is probably over. I just have to say it is interesting to me. I lived in the Singer flats at 87 Kilbowie Rd. Clydebank before the War started. The flats no longer exist of course. And I went back to the USA with my family. Spent a year at Radnor Park School (no longer exists). My Gran spent her nights in the train station on Kilbowie. She Survived but I lost at least 5 close family members , two of whom lived and died in Glasgow and died there during a night of bombing.
It used to make me sad as a child that I was not there with my Gran during those times but she lived on to being in her 80's. I miss the old Clydebank and wish it were more of it's own small town again. Since I am now in my grandmas age group I still go back and remember my time there. Everything changes with or without wars.
I
katywon
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby gweedore » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 pm

i knew about the clydebank blitz and that an occasional bomb was dropped over glasgow but not so many! i came upon this thread by accident the other day and i was so fascinated i read every page of the thread
i didnt realise how many bombs were dropped over glasgow and how widespread they were
well done to all who contributed i'll be telling others of what i've learned
gweedore
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby banjo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:08 am

todays edition of the clydebank post is commemorating the 70th anniversary of the blitz in a special edition.70p from newsagents .
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby munroman » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:30 pm

A friends mother was a nurse, based at the Southern General during WW2.

She said that the air raid 'all clear' wasn't sounded until hours after the bombers had gone because there was a huge clean up operation after every raid to try and get rid of sights that would demoralise the civilians, things like body parts on roofs, etc.

As a nurse she was expected to muck in with this horrendous task.
munroman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects