How were Glasgow streets named?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

How were Glasgow streets named?

Postby hungryjoe » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:33 pm

And does anyone know how to research street names?
I lived in Drumbottie Road for years (there used to be another poster who lived there) and would like to know where the name came from. Any ideas?
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: How were Glasgow streets named?

Postby Local Hero » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:47 pm

there are a few resources online with some history of street names. When i was in the Archive section up at the Mitchell the other week, I had a wee scan through a handwritten book with details of street names. Might be worth a visit for you - it seemed to include streets well outside the city centre.
Ah used tae be indecisive but noo ah'm nae sae sure.
Local Hero
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby ibtg » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:06 pm

You don't say if this is an old street, or a more recent one.

For old street names, there are a few places you can look -
'Glasgow Past and Present' by 'Senex' pub. 1884,
'The Streets of Glasgow' by David Murray LL.D, a lecture to the Old Glasgow Club, in the Club Transactions for 1924-25,
'The Origin and History of Glasgow Streets' by Hugh MacIntosh pub. 1902
and a book by James Muir, pub. 1899, called, I think, 'Glasgow Street Names'.

You will find them all in the Mitchell, of course.

However, if it's a relatively new street, maybe the Council could help.

Doesn't Drum mean 'a hill' ?

There's a guy named Peter who researches street names in Glasgow. He is on this and other forums as pwm437.

Hope I was at least some help.....
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:51 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think most of the houses in Drumbottie Road were built around 1939, I remember being told that the houses in nearby Campsie St. (I know where THAT name came from) were built then.

I've PMd pwm437
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:03 am

The name may have came from 'Drumbottie Farm', Bishopbriggs which was owned by Archibald Scott between 1864 and 1904. The street has been there since at least 1933.
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:44 pm

robertpool wrote:The name may have came from 'Drumbottie Farm', Bishopbriggs which was owned by Archibald Scott between 1864 and 1904. The street has been there since at least 1933.

Well done that man!

Looks to me like you've been given the answer to your question HJ. Drumbotie Farm (only one 't' on the 1864 OS plan) was located just to the south of Auchinairn Road, just where the top end of Northgate Road is now.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:04 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:
robertpool wrote:The name may have came from 'Drumbottie Farm', Bishopbriggs which was owned by Archibald Scott between 1864 and 1904. The street has been there since at least 1933.

Well done that man!

Looks to me like you've been given the answer to your question HJ. Drumbotie Farm (only one 't' on the 1864 OS plan) was located just to the south of Auchinairn Road, just where the top end of Northgate Road is now.

Thanks robertpool, and thanks G.S for the link.

I used to live in Beansburn in Killie. Not Beansburn St. or Rd. or anything, just Beansburn. There was a tiny wee burn behind the house which went underground and came out across the road in The Dean Park. There is a Beanscroft farm outside Fenwick which I'm assuming the name came from but I've never heard of any burn coming all the way down to that part of Killie, especially when it's only a few hundred yards fro the confluence of Fenwick Water and Kilmarnock Water.
How did these farms come by their names - there is (or used to be) a Blair Muckhole Farm near Tam's Loup Quarry at Harthill.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:19 pm

The source of the Beans Burn (which is unsurprisingly the name of the stream you referred to) appears to be in the vicinity of Onthank Nursery/Primary School. Scottish Water's GIS shows a 300mm diameter culvert starting next to the junction of Meiklewood Road/Hareshaw Drive [NGR 243037,640263; the slotted manhole cover in the grassed area in this GSV image is at the start of the culvert according to the GIS - GSV has Hareshaw Drive incorrectly named as Craufurdland Road], then making its down to Beansburn and into Dean Park where it joins the Kilmarnock Water.

The 1864 OS plan appears to show the burn starting at the northern end of Wardneuk Drive [NGR 243243,639997], though this is on the line of the abovementioned culvert. 'Beansburn' appears on this plan as the name of the local area so it obviously dates back quite some time.

The burn is entirely culverted upstream of Dean Park with the exception of a short length as it passes through the gardens of 4 to 10 Knockinlaw Road (though the short section through No. 6 is also culverted) - it goes back into culvert at the rear boundary line of 70 Beansburn. From start to finish, the burn measures approx 1685m. There isn't a recorded size on the GIS for the downstream stretches, however it is indicated as being 900mm diameter as it crosses underneath Western Road so I would think it carries a fair flow.

Blairmuckhole Farm still exists - the farm buildings are located approx 900m north of the quarry, on the opposite side of the M8 (the road the farm is located on is called Blairmuckhole and Forestdyke Road). The 1864 OS plan (look on the left hand edge) shows the farm buildings in the same general position as they are located to this day, though the spelling is slightly different (Blairmuchole). Interestingly, there is/was a Blairmuckhill (and is spelt as such on the 1864 OS plan) Farm a short distance to the NE. Again, the name is obviously old so it's hard to say where it may have come from.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:45 am

Jings Stevie, I'm more than impressed.
Just a small point - I lived at 68 Beansburn and the burn was visible behind my garden wall. I've copied your post to my boys, I'm sure it'll be of interest to them.
Thanks again mate.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:21 am

Glad to be of assistance HJ; here's a wee plan for you (I've highlighted 68 Beansburn yellow).

As you can see, the Beans Burn culvert (dashed green line) enters 70 Beansburn at its rear boundary line, crosses its back garden and then enters 68 Beansburn, running along the side of the property and out onto the footpath where it turns south-west.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:10 pm

Thanks Stevie, passed on to my boys who grew up there, and at least one of whom, is fascinated by your earlier info.. There is defo a wee burn runs behind 68, but when I think about the volume of water you say should be flowing in Beans Burn, it can't be the same thing.
Thanks again mate, it really is appreciated.
Joe.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:44 pm

hungryjoe wrote:And does anyone know how to research street names?
I lived in Drumbottie Road for years (there used to be another poster who lived there) and would like to know where the name came from. Any ideas?

I researched the street names of a place in an adjoining county (to Glasgow) and from the minutes I found - that in the the main - street names were suggested by councillors and approved (sometimes after consultaion with the roads engineer) by the General Purposes Commitee. On occasion the councillor (referred to in the minutes as the 'Local Representative') took in suggestions from local people as regards to historic reasons. I can't comment on Glasgow but the county I researched were also subject to political influence with many street names named after the 'suggestors'.

Glasgow Corporation minutes available in the Mitch.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:12 pm

Icecube wrote:
hungryjoe wrote:And does anyone know how to research street names?

I researched the street names of a place in an adjoining county (to Glasgow) and from the minutes I found - that in the the main - street names were suggested by councillors and approved (sometimes after consultaion with the roads engineer) by the General Purposes Commitee. On occasion the councillor (referred to in the minutes as the 'Local Representative') took in suggestions from local people as regards to historic reasons. I can't comment on Glasgow but the county I researched were also subject to political influence with many street names named after the 'suggestors'.

Glasgow Corporation minutes available in the Mitch.

My understanding of the practice of street naming is along that you have suggested Icecube, though I have no idea how long that method has been in use.

I had long thought that was the practice and it was confirmed to me upon enquiring how the streets were named in the the development I (formerly) lived in in Armadale. I was told that names are suggested to a commitee by local Councillors and in the case of 'my' development had been chosen to include the names of Armadalians (I think that's the collective term) who had contributed significantly to life in the village. I never did bother to find out the background to the names but the streets were called 'Morgan' Way, 'Hamilton' Gardens, 'McAffee' Gardens, 'Forrest' Place, 'Roberton' Gardens, 'Harvie' Gardens and 'Gillespie' Place.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:02 am

Council buildings in Glasgow were named after Councillors although it tended to be Strathclyde Regional that did this rather than Glasgow District council. I'm struggling for a street named after a Glasgow Councillor.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:51 am

A sample trawl through one of the Minute books of Glasgow Corporation or the more recent district council would assist.
I should add that I found that private estates were in general named by the developers and land owners and that my research was mainly pre and immdeiate post war periods. Glasgow might have followed a different practise.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)