There is Hope!! - Kelvinhaugh Street

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

There is Hope!! - Kelvinhaugh Street

Postby Squigster » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:48 pm

In the last few years I've see countless newbuilds that look just plain ugly - Glass everywhere, or have the look of being designed by a 6 year old (see Glasgow Harbour). And whilst out a wee wander, I discover a new build that looks as if architecture has at last seen the light - I hope it's the first of many

Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: There is Hope!! - Kelvinhaugh Street

Postby allyharp » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:50 am

Not sure I like the roof!
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Rucola » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:03 am

The building's alright, but the typography over the close entrance is appalling.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:51 pm

Trying hard to find anything about that building that I like.

Squigster what do you find attractive about it?
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Squigster » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:14 pm

Socceroo wrote:Squigster what do you find attractive about it?

I can't explain it, I just do :)
Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:31 pm

It's a building that makes excellent use of the footprint without simply being a rectangle 32 storeys high. The break above the entrance would have been an asset on its own but using it for a balcony is a very clever idea.

Without seeing the 'rear' (right hand edge of the pics) and not knowing the NSEW orientation it's hard to know where whatever sun we have strikes the building it's hard to know just how effective the balconies and rear terraces are but I'd like to think they've been well positioned.

All in all it could have been a great deal worse.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:34 pm

The Egg Man wrote:All in all it could have been a great deal worse.

I would doubt that.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:43 pm

Do we have any 'Skyscraper City' members left, and prepared to offer a more informed opinion than me (who thinks it's poor, but would have difficulty explaining precisely why)? Mori?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:46 pm

Socceroo wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:All in all it could have been a great deal worse.

I would doubt that.

C'mon. You only have to look at the overpriced shite at the foot of Finnieston Street or at Glasgow 'Harbour' to see just how much worse a new-build could have been.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:46 am

Josef wrote:Do we have any 'Skyscraper City' members left, and prepared to offer a more informed opinion than me (who thinks it's poor, but would have difficulty explaining precisely why)? Mori?

Not that I'm a member of SSC (lurker status only) or in any way informed, but I have been puzzling about this building...

While it was going up I thought I was going to like it (because of the bricks) but when the scaffolding came off realised I didn't and don't like it, and have been wondering why ever since (OK, now and then ever since). This is where I've got to:

It's very ill-mannered for a building outside the city centre to squash its way right up to the pavement edge of its site - like a big guy taking up too much room at the bar. I suppose that's all down to economics - they had to get x flats onto the site and there had to be y parking spaces, and having the pavement level as garage would have been even ruder, but still.

Can it be that even if we aren't architects or structural engineers we have some sense of how buildings stay up? So we know that a door or window opening is a hole in the wall and there needs to be something to stop the wall collapsing into the hole? On this building they haven't even nodded towards the idea with a header course of bricks over the windows. It's a giant brick wall with no structural clues, and with holes punched in it. Seems wrong.

There's something off about going straight from the scale of a brick to scale of the entire wall, with no in-between scale elements - piers or ledges or panels or something.

If the entire street was lined with buildings like this would it be a pleasant place to be? If you're in Dumbarton Road (Partick) and look along the straight run of fairly standard tenements, there's a mass of bits of stonework bits a pieces, ledges over the windows and whatnot (especially if the sun's coming a bit sideways along the street) that are somehow interesting even if you're not paying attention.

Of course, there might be the most brilliant use of space inside...............
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:12 am

The Egg Man wrote:C'mon. You only have to look at the overpriced shite at the foot of Finnieston Street or at Glasgow 'Harbour' to see just how much worse a new-build could have been.

Yes, there are other buildings in the city that are under designed, over priced with the life expectancy of a piece of Ikea furniture. But that does not make this one an architectural masteriece.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:14 am

I think it is a building that says “I’m alright Jack” in that it serves its function of providing sizeable apartments for those who occupy it. Balconies and glazed screens are angled towards the sun without consideration of the aesthetic of the building.

It has been designed from the inside out to suit sales negotiators who know what boxes to tick in terms of what a modern apartment should have internally.

Huge terraces occupy the top floor forcing the roof back to look stunted. There has been a lack of confidence, detailing and cash to form a flat roof which would have made the façade and roof junction looked considered, rather than like some GHA tower block over roofing project.

The pseudo Victorian brick finishes off the pastiche.

No doubt nice inside, but a wart and aberration on Glasgow’s skyline from the outside. It looked better with the scaffold and debris netting wrapped around it.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:08 pm

Socceroo wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:C'mon. You only have to look at the overpriced shite at the foot of Finnieston Street or at Glasgow 'Harbour' to see just how much worse a new-build could have been.

Yes, there are other buildings in the city that are under designed, over priced with the life expectancy of a piece of Ikea furniture. But that does not make this one an architectural masteriece.

No, it's not an architectural masterpiece but it proves there is hope.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:32 pm

There might have been hope if the developer had not tinkered with the original Jewitt Arschavir and Wilkie design. A much better roof was intended.

I wonder if the drawings lodged with Glasgow City Council - Planning have the drawings of what was intended or the aberration that was actually built?
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:10 pm

It looks like a basket of arse.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development