Glasgows Cobbled Streets and Lanes

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgows Cobbled Streets and Lanes

Postby Chopper » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:55 am

I'm sure there are small sections of wooden cobbles in a couple of the lanes up at Blythswood square area and at the back of Sauchiehall street.
Chopper
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Riotgrrl » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:16 pm

There is a strange lane off the pollokshaws road opposite QP on the way up to Shawlands. It's got all this industrial/farming type old machinery piled up (and is obviously used as a drinking den) but there is a guitar shop down the lane.

A bit intriguing.

International general interest photoboard: http://photofit.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:12 pm

There used to be a recording studio lane off the pollokshaws road opposite QP on the way.. etc. Ca Va? My memory is a bit hazy now. The likes of The Jazzateers recorded there, along with assorted other Marina-type bands.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Riotgrrl » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:06 pm

That rings a bell. Maybe it's still there, and I'm misremembering the guitar shop thing . . .
International general interest photoboard: http://photofit.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:26 pm

Josef wrote:There used to be a recording studio lane off the pollokshaws road opposite QP on the way.. etc. Ca Va? My memory is a bit hazy now. The likes of The Jazzateers recorded there, along with assorted other Marina-type bands.

Are you thinking of Park Lane Studios? Back in the day Texas , Gun and other Glasgow acts recorded there.

The studio is still going : http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/index.html
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:28 pm

Vinegar Tom wrote:
Josef wrote:There used to be a recording studio lane off the pollokshaws road opposite QP on the way.. etc. Ca Va? My memory is a bit hazy now. The likes of The Jazzateers recorded there, along with assorted other Marina-type bands.

Are you thinking of Park Lane Studios? Back in the day Texas , Gun and other Glasgow acts recorded there.

The studio is still going : http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/index.html

Yes. I did get my excuses in first. :wink:
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby skintobalinto » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:50 am

Moon Guitars are still down that lane

http://www.moonguitars.co.uk/moonhome.html
Where the music stinks, and they water the drinks, ...at the nudie bar
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:30 am

Not Glasgow , but close.

West Blackhall Street , Greenock. Looks like the tramlines were removed sympathetically

same street different location , but you can see the original tramlines
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Fri May 15, 2009 11:07 pm

Cobbles and kerbs at Lilly Bank Road , Port Eglinton. The road is abandoned now , but existed before the creation of Milan Street ( now also abandoned ).

large

large

large
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tombro » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:50 am

Rummaging around in another area of HG I ended up looking at the corner of Crimea Street and Carrick Street in Anderston on Google Maps. I was interested because my dear old Gran lived in a tenement on that particular corner until she was moved elsewhere in the early 1960's.

I did note though (it's there to see on Google Maps) that Carrick Street from Crimea Street down to the Clyde is still a cobbled street !

Tombro :wink:
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:11 pm

South Woodside Road - it has been done before here , but not this bit :)

large
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:53 pm

I took a shortcut while going for my messages at Morrisons Anniesland today and found myself at Temple walkway, never knew this existed. I think it's the road entrance to the old railway yard which extended well up to Knightswood.
Plenty of cobbles and a nice stone pillared gateway still there, but I didn't have my camera :(
I love seeing traces of old sites remaining so I was all "Ooooo" when I saw this, haven't felt that way for ages :)

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v ... &encType=1
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby Cairncraig » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:30 pm

pwm437 wrote:
BobK wrote:I may be talking nonsense here, but I used to get taken to the football by my dad when I was a boy and I seem to remember a cobbled street with part of it cobbled in the shape of a leg kicking a ball.
It might not have meant to be that, but it certainly looked like that to me when I was 5!

It would have been early to mid 70's and it would have had to be somewhere around Celtic Park. Anyone remember anything like that?

I very rarely go to the games nowadays, and I wouldn't know where to look anyway.

The football boot and ball set into the cobbles was at the junction of Yate Street and Gallowgate. The link to John Thomson of Celtic is an urban myth, as the work was carried out by a man named O'Malley prior to Thomson's death in 1931. You can see a good account of this little piece of history in Charlie McDonald's 'Old Parkhead'. I don't know where it is now, maybe it did end up in the revitalised Barrowfield.

The Ball , the Boot , and the goal is now in the Bambury Centre in Yate Street in Barrowfield. And yes PWM you are correct the cobbled stones had nothing to do with the late Johnny Thomson as they pre-dated his death by several years.
Cairncraig
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Bridie » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:23 pm

With Josef mentioning Garnethill I went googling for the cobbled street outside the side entrance to my old school - a lane off Dalhousie St, can't remember the name, there was some sort of small factory/workshop in it anyway :roll: I thought they demolished the school years ago. Whats going on now then?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=b ... 7,,0,-6.19

sorry if slight diversion :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:42 pm

That photo must be a couple of years old at least, Bridie. There's a hardcourt football pitch there now. Not that there wasn't beforehand, but there's a suitably high chainmail fence round it now.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects