Rockvilla School

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Alcatraz

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:13 am

crazygray23 wrote:my dad went to that school , and he said the pupils just nicknamed it `the rock` sounds kinda cool for a school

Your da and his pals may have had another establishment nicknamed The Rock in mind

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:32 am

St Roch's primary and secondary are also referred to as the little Rock and the big Rock
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Rockvilla School

Postby jamacy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:41 am

Hi.Its a case of better late than never?I just by chance came accross this site.I attended Rockvilla school in the early
1950s,and have vague memories of it,cold damp,drinking frozen milk(no germs there)A variety of nationalities,but
mostly scottish,from the very poor,to the just above the poor line/But Im geeting away from the reason I mailed,
it wasnt a Mushroom factory,it was a distillery,we used to smell it some mornings?In fact 40 or so years later that
smell assailed my nostrills,and I was instantly transported back those 40 years to Rockvilla school,for a few seconds I
was a child again,it was an amazing feeling that I will never forget?Has anyone else ever had this?They say that smell is one of the most powerful senses,and I believe it.I visited the school whilst on a visit from New Zealand back
in the late 80s,I took quite a few Pics,must look them out and post them on,if I can ever fathom out how to do it?
Cheers John.
jamacy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:07 am

jamacy wrote:in the late 80s,I took quite a few Pics,must look them out and post them on,if I can ever fathom out how to do it?
Cheers John.

If you can scan them from your printer to your PC we'll advise on the rest. Thanks for your post and welcome aboard.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BenCooper » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:43 pm

It'd be interesting to see some pictures - I've only seen a couple of blurry ones of the school when it was standing. The passageway up through the rock is wonderful...

The big brick building was built as a bonded warehouse, but later it was used as a mushroom factory. It replaced a malt store built on the same site in the 1840s. Some pictures from there:

www.transientplaces.co.uk
BenCooper
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)