What are the bird sculptures in Woodside?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

What are the bird sculptures in Woodside?

Postby moodywoody » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:25 pm

Does anyone know anything about the life-size stone sculptures of large birds of prey which feature on top of:

1. The Woodside Inn building on Maryhill Rd/North Woodside rd corner
2. The roof of the Woodside Inn building
3. The roof of a modern tenement block opposite The Royalty pub on Maryhill Road

?

There are two owls and one large eagle altogether (1 owl and 1 eagle above the Woodside, 1 owl on top of the modern tenements), all designed in a 'sitting' position. You can get a good view of the Woodside Inn models if you stand in the Lidl car park, and if you stand outside the Post Office which is near to the Royalty and look across you should be able to see the other owl.

Any info greatly appreciated. I don't have a camera believe it or not so cannot upload a photo unfortunately.
moodywoody
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: What are the bird sculptures in Woodside?

Postby jojo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:54 pm

I was informed by the residents in that area that the reason for the owl on top of the tenements facing the Royalty Bar is to deter pigeons.

I don't know about the other two and I've worked in the area for years and hadn't noticed them :oops:
jojo
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: What are the bird sculptures in Woodside?

Postby moodywoody » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:58 pm

Thanks, jojo!

That makes sense but I think the pigeons and seagulls are more intelligent than the sculptor hoped. They definitely look interesting to me at least!
moodywoody
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects