Glasgow Murder Mysteries

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby ghiribizzo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:49 am

:( M - in - Law stays close to there. Didn't know that info.
ghiribizzo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:52 am

Opportunities there Ghirib :wink: ::):
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow Murder Mysteries

Postby pamela walker » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi there Viceroy

It is such a nice feeling to know that people still remember andrea after all this time. She will never be forgotten by any of the family. I am Andreas aunt and it is still so fresh in everyones minds what happened that day. She will never be forgotten. Sadly her mum passed away a couple of years ago but she is at long last with her daughter whom she never had the chance to see grow into a beautiful lady as i am sure she would have. Thank you tears flowing as i read some of the stories from you and the next time i am in glasgow i will visit the mitchell library to see all the photos. Her dad has ever newspaper cutting that was written at the time of her disappearance. Always in out minds Andrea we have never stopped loving you and hope you and your mum are making up now and giving each other lots and lots of hugs that you have missed out in all these years xxxx
pamela walker
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re:

Postby Greywolf » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:07 pm

pamd wrote:Hollow

Where you the author of this piece?

If so, I can empathise completely with the horror that you feel at the time, the tiny white coffin at the funeral (Andrea was buried in Wellington Church). When we cried, we were photographed by the paparazzi. The streets were lined with people from the bottom of Gibson St all the way up University Ave.

We were constantly interviewed by police, everyday, at the school (willowbank primary). I think the whole school was interviewed actually.

You know, people say that paedophilles are a new phenomenon borne out of the internet. I know that this is not true. They have always been there. We are just more aware of them now. Remember Hindley and Brady? They have always been there.

I am Andrea's eldest brother, it was not only the school, the neighborhood and the surrounding areas, that was interviewed, but also, us, Andrea's family, and our house was searched many time, but these are things that have to be done, as distressing as it is to the victims family, but the one thing I do have to say, I never really got the chance to thank everyone, personally for their support and also to the police and other services, for all their dedication and hard work in catching my sisters killer. especially the Detective Superintendent in charge of the case, who refused to leave, even though his own mother was very seriously ill, until the killer was caught.

Even to this day, it is very painful, it is true what they say, the victim of a crime is not only the person that is the victim, the families of those victims also suffer greatly, that pain and suffering never truly leaves them, mainly because of a sense of guilt, I suppose you could call it, always thinking, what if I did this, what i did that, always blaming yourself for not doing something different, that could have possibly prevented a tragedy as this. These are things we have to live with for the rest of our lives, we can all say with hindsight, what if, I got out of bed that morning and walk her to school, my father is the same, saying why did he not run her to school, while he waited for me.

What you say about pedophiles, is correct, it is not the internet that has created them, they have always been, it is only that the internet makes it easier for them to be active and to spread their sick pictures, stories and to groom unsuspecting victims, also the increase in availability of the internet and media news reporting has made the news of pedophiles and their crimes, all the more in our face, but in reality this a problem that is as old as mankind, and sadly I cannot see it ending anytime soon, all we can do is try and educate not only our children but also the adults as well. If this and other stories here helps just save one child, then maybe the guilt I wrongly feel, about the loss of my sister, will ease just a little.
Greywolf
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi Pamela and Greywolf; welcome to HG

I can only wonder at what you went through when you lost Andrea. I lost my brother twenty years ago after he stepped in front of a bus and that was bad enough without the attentions of the police and the media. I know how the pain lingers, though.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:49 pm

Thanks to Pamela and Greywolf for their posts. I am glad to have contributed in some small measure to keeping memories of Andrea in the public domain. As mentioned elsewhere, I was living in the area at the time and in spite of the passage of many years still remember vividly the unfolding of this tragedy.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Re:

Postby pamd » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:00 pm

Greywolf wrote:I am Andrea's eldest brother, it was not only the school, the neighborhood and the surrounding areas, that was interviewed, but also, us, Andrea's family, and our house was searched many time, but these are things that have to be done, as distressing as it is to the victims family, but the one thing I do have to say, I never really got the chance to thank everyone, personally for their support and also to the police and other services, for all their dedication and hard work in catching my sisters killer. especially the Detective Superintendent in charge of the case, who refused to leave, even though his own mother was very seriously ill, until the killer was caught.

Even to this day, it is very painful, it is true what they say, the victim of a crime is not only the person that is the victim, the families of those victims also suffer greatly, that pain and suffering never truly leaves them, mainly because of a sense of guilt, I suppose you could call it, always thinking, what if I did this, what i did that, always blaming yourself for not doing something different, that could have possibly prevented a tragedy as this. These are things we have to live with for the rest of our lives, we can all say with hindsight, what if, I got out of bed that morning and walk her to school, my father is the same, saying why did he not run her to school, while he waited for me.

What you say about pedophiles, is correct, it is not the internet that has created them, they have always been, it is only that the internet makes it easier for them to be active and to spread their sick pictures, stories and to groom unsuspecting victims, also the increase in availability of the internet and media news reporting has made the news of pedophiles and their crimes, all the more in our face, but in reality this a problem that is as old as mankind, and sadly I cannot see it ending anytime soon, all we can do is try and educate not only our children but also the adults as well. If this and other stories here helps just save one child, then maybe the guilt I wrongly feel, about the loss of my sister, will ease just a little.

I can't imagine the fear and grief that you must all have gone through when this tragedy happened. Thank you for sharing your side with us, I didn't know Andrea had a brother and its great to hear from someone so close to her, that remembers and thinks of her often. I worried that she had just been forgotten by the world (which obviously she hadn't been).

I don't live in Glasgow anymore, but I will return and visit her grave again one day.
My treasures do not ching together or glitter. They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night - Bedouin proverb
pamd
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Greywolf » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:40 pm

viceroy wrote:Thanks to Pamela and Greywolf for their posts. I am glad to have contributed in some small measure to keeping memories of Andrea in the public domain. As mentioned elsewhere, I was living in the area at the time and in spite of the passage of many years still remember vividly the unfolding of this tragedy.

Thank you for your words, sadly like all cases of this kind, people forget after time, and go on as they did before, thinking it will never happen to them and kids run about, alone, without parents and families knowing what they are up to, or where they are, until the next tragedy strikes, then again parents and families are more protective towards their children, now I am not saying all parents are like this, and not all adults are interested in harming children.

Sadly this is also effecting all those kind people that do things with the children like the scouts, the guides, community centers, because of the paranoia that these cases generate, and people believing that it is a new thing that has only recently become a problem, more community centers are closing down, even teachers are afraid to do activities with their students in case they are accused of being a pedophile, I am all in favor of protecting children, but sadly today, teachers and others who work with children and vulnerable young adults, now have to pass so many different checks, all of which cover the same things, for every single thing they do, that they are asking themselves is it really worth all the hassle, and now only a week or so ago, the government has introduced ANOTHER check these people have to go through, or face a 5000 pound fine, or as in the case of the 2 detectives in the news just the other day, they have been told they have to stop watching each others children, they do so each can do their jobs, as POLICE OFFICERS.

These kinds of things are making people more and more afraid to trust even their closest friends or even family members with their children because, they are thinking, maybe not consciously but sub consciously, is that person a pedophile, are they going to harm my child or children, when is the paranoia going to stop. NOT EVERYONE IS A PEDOPHILE, there are people out there that are decent and like nothing more than to help run activities for children, like the scouts, the guide, local community centers, etc, and yes some people that do run these activities do have criminal records, but that does not mean they are pedophiles or potential pedophiles.The way things are going, these kinds of activities will be confined to the history books, as what our ancestors used to do.

The paranoia of today, has not only alienated generations of adults from working with children, but also has a major effect on the children, all these so called checks are meant to protect, parents not trusting other adults with their children, children not trusting other adults or in some cases not even trusting their parents, as we used to back in the 70's and before, sure we was all taught not to speak with strangers, and always trust a policeman, but as recent history has shown, not even the police are immune to having pedophiles in their ranks.

Pedophiles are the lowest form of life you can get, I have good reason to despise them, and at one time I hated every single one of them, and wanted them all dead, but now, I only want one to be within my reach, I know they are sick and in need of help, maybe I am getting mellow in my old age, I do not know, but as I said above, the paranoia these people and the media as well, they have to take some of the blame, have generated in recent times, has done more damage to the relationship between responsible, caring adults and children, than pedophiles themselves have done.
Greywolf
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby pamela walker » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:28 pm

hi vice

Its andrea's aunt again. I agree with all you say in your last post on here just give me 5 mins with each pedo in a room and i can assure you like so many mothers and fathers they wouldn't last the whole 5 mins before begging us to stop. Let them loose in a jail let the bad guys take care of them as they are scum and dont deserve to be walking on the same streets as our children. My children are all grown up now as you can imagine but i have lots of grandchildren and we sat telling them about andrea the other day just to try and get it across to them that its not safe no matter where you are outside it only takes a second or two for someone to snatch them away and if parents dont know where they were going to makes it so much harder to trace there steps. If there is any mothers and fathers here who are worried about these things tell them about andrea and all the other little ones that this has happened too and keep telling them till it sinks in that everyone in this world has to be extra safe with all the badness in the world today.
pamela walker
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby banjo » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:46 am

the sword

what are we going to do to protect our little ones
when theres madness and theres badness at almost every turn
theres menace and theres danger and vilest of tongue
whatever can we do to protect our young

we wrap them up in cotton wool and indoors is where they stay
even the animal kingdom get to see their young at play
our kids cant walk to school now without a mothers hand
they sense that somethings not quite right but theyre too young to understand

i alone dont have the answer im just a cog in the machine
thats sometimes heard but very seldom seen
will we ever get our streets back can we ever trust again
or has the sword become mightier than the pen.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:30 pm

I don't remember the Andrea murder case as I would have been the same age as her at the time of her death. Good to see HG bringing at least a little comfort to the family.

I do remember as a young girl (maybe 9 or 10) waiting outside my school for my mum and a man drawing up in a car to ask "directions". Mum came flying up the road, she was a bit late, told me off and suddenly slapped me across the face. At the time I was so upset and for years it stayed with me but now I realise she was probably scared and just lashed out.

Being a wee girl, I didn't realise what was going on. Who knew what was going through the driver's head, did he really want directions or was he a bad article? And to this day, some 30 odd years later, I remember it was a gold coloured car.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun May 23, 2010 10:42 pm

news of the world

23/05/2010

DETECTIVES probing Peter Tobin's horrific past have found chilling new links between him and Bible John.
They've found that in the late 1960s Tobin lived close to where three women were snared, then slaughtered, by the notorious serial killer.
And today we can reveal the streets where psycho Tobin stayed.
Jemima McDonald, 32, and Helen Puttock, 29, were both murdered after leaving Glasgow's Barrowland Ballroom
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jet10 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:31 am

I was wondering if Andrea's dad was named Edward and did she have a grandmother named Margaret "Peggy" Hedger?
jet10
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby dmf » Thu May 27, 2010 6:15 pm

If you want more Glasgow murder stories - go here

http://www.nwp.co.uk/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?a ... pageid=104
dmf
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby InkMan » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:49 am

Would anyone be able to enlighten me on a murder that I remember my parents mentioning when I was a kid in the late 70's - early 80's? It had taken place some years earlier on the railway bridge at the bottom on Carntyne Road.

I have tried without success to google this and keep forgetting to simply ask my parents.

On another crime related topic - my Mum came from Townhead whilst my Dad's father owned a Newsagents there. At an old family function a story was told of some nutter trying to throw a grenade or similar explosive device into a chip shop only to injure himself in the process. Again I have had no luck on Google so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects