Obelisk in Eastwood Park

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Obelisk in Eastwood Park

Postby the white rabbit » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:47 pm

there is a guttery looking thing on one side (the side towards the wall). wonder if it some fancy horse or dog drinking fountain?
the white rabbit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Glesga_Steve » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:49 pm

I have no idea what purpose this chimney served/serves, however I can state, categorically, that it has nothing to do with the sewerage or watercourse systems.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the white rabbit » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:28 pm

wondering if toomse could post the date of the map he used so I can try to find an older map to see when the chimney appeared. It may also have the building associated with it on an intermediate aged map.

The chimney seems too well worked to be associated with the other stone built buildings near it.

Its just beyond the wall to what appears to be the gardens of eastwood house. It looks too good to be part of the working side of the house i.e. gardening, laundry/housekeeping.

why would a land owner be prepared to spend that much on a chimney no prestige to gain from it there. unless possibly attached to a stable?
Last edited by the white rabbit on Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
the white rabbit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby the white rabbit » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:03 am

found this in the east ren council website. url at bottom

This 19th century mansion house set in Eastwood Park is in the former estate of Lord Weir , formerly that of the Earls of Eglinton. In 1845 Thomas Smith bought land and the house was built some time after that. In 1864 the estate passed to Joseph Wakefield of Inglis & Wakefield who had taken over the Busby Printworks. In the 1880’s and 90’s the owner was David Tod of Tod & McGregor Engineering who had the house enlarged in 1893 by a bow window and new entrance.

Lord Weir bought the estate in 1914. It was described as a, "solid, Victorian mansion". Entrance gates to the park were presented to Lord Weir after 1945. Laurel and Hardy were there to open a fete after the war as well as Danny Kaye. In 1968 the estate was acquired by Renfrew County Council. The Mansion House was completely renovated and opened by Viscount Muirshiel in 1971.

for info (http://www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/.../ ... events.htm)
the east ren heritage site has interesting info on the area, a good number of photos even found one of my street being built! unfortunatley nothing of the structure could be found on this quick browse. :(
the white rabbit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby cell » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:57 pm

toomse wrote:Here’s a Google map of the coordinates you provided

If this is the correct location it’s a chimney

Here’s a historic map. These are slightly misaligned as the image is superimposed on top of the present day OS map. Still showing the symbol for a chimney

Just below the chimney, shown on Toomse’s old map, is a range of buildings which are shaded with diagonal hatchings, I think this is sometimes used to indicate glass or green houses, so the chimney could be associated with a heating system for these?
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:15 pm

yeah would be heating systems for the greenhouse. I;ve seen this down the clyde valley way a few years back. some chimneys still in standing tall
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby the white rabbit » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:22 am

might go down on thursday and have a look behind the wall. see if there are any remains of greenhouses and or heating system.
the white rabbit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:39 am

UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mikkitobi » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:44 pm

Fossil wrote:yeah would be heating systems for the greenhouse. I;ve seen this down the clyde valley way a few years back. some chimneys still in standing tall

that is exactly what it is.

The summer 2010 edition of the East Renfrewshire magazine has an article about Eastwood House and a picture of the chimney stack behind trees and says "the stack remains from the boilerhouse of the park greenhouse".

I tried to attach the photo here but I dont seem to have the option to do so!

Michael
mikkitobi
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:49 pm

mikkitobi wrote:I tried to attach the photo here but I dont seem to have the option to do so!

Michael

If you upload it Flickr, Photobucket or another media-sharing site, you can post a link to it there.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects