Western SMT Bus Company

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Western SMT Bus Company

Postby RDR » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:20 pm

I'm looking for information on the above, well known, West of Scotland Bus Company, in relation to it's activites in Glasgow and East Renfrewshire, for a project.
In particular I'm looking for:
Pictures of it's former Newton Mearns depot (the site now occupied by the Mearns X shopping centre car park)
Any written history of the above
Pictures of the old Waterloo St Bus Station, with any Western Buses present.
Grateful for any pointers in the right direction.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Western SMT Bus Company

Postby Jenny Geddes » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:40 pm

Only the other day I was thinking about WSMT, was there a bus number 2 I think that went to Mearnskirk, and another one that went to Stranraer.
Beware of flying stools.
Jenny Geddes
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:56 pm

7 went to Mearnskirk
4 went to Ayr and onto Stranraer when on that route. Still a 4 running but on the Stagecoach West of Scotland service (who bought Western Scottish as it was by then)
2 went to Eagalesham, I think.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jenny Geddes » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:12 pm

I remember the 180 and 181 that took me to Granpas in East Kilbride, the terminus was Anderston I think.
Beware of flying stools.
Jenny Geddes
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:36 pm

Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:00 am

Having no wish to trawl through that, yes the No. 4 still goes to Ayr, and then express X77 does too.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:34 am

Google is indeed useful :D but not for the specific information I want, as I have already looked using it.

Also researched the East Ren Council archives, for the Newton mearns depot which are good but don't have a picture of the depot, though it is mentioned.

There is a Central SMT website that has a couple of pictures of the front of the Waterloo Street bus station but they are not detailed enough for the work I'm doing. I need some shots of the inside.

Anyone else help?
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:55 am

Welcome to Hidden Glasgow-The online depot for bus threads
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:43 am

From memory there are some pics of Waterloo St Bus Station in this book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Streets-Glasgow-Alan-Millar/dp/0711029946

I know I have a copy somewhere but can't readily find it.

Might also be worth your while checking with the Mitchell Library - Glasgow Room / Special Archives for other photographs/plans
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:19 am

I am waiting for my brother to give me some stuff from that depot, (he was a driver out of there for a while) should get it soon and copy the material and upload it to my flickr account. Will let you know when it's done.
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:20 am

yoker brian wrote:From memory there are some pics of Waterloo St Bus Station in this book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Streets-Glasgow-Alan-Millar/dp/0711029946

I know I have a copy somewhere but can't readily find it.

Might also be worth your while checking with the Mitchell Library - Glasgow Room / Special Archives for other photographs/plans

Tried the Mitchell, same exterior shots as the Central SMT site. I'm looking for interior shots, which would have been difficult as it was so gloomy inside :) There is a Western SMT website as has been pointed out elsewhere but it doesn't seem to have been updated since 2002.
The Mitchell isn't any use for the Newton Mearns depot site, that's why I was looking in the East Ren archive site.
By the look of things I need somoene who might have these in a personal picture collection. I shall give the book a go though.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:23 am

robertpool wrote:I am waiting for my brother to give me some stuff from that depot, (he was a driver out of there for a while) should get it soon and copy the material and upload it to my flickr account. Will let you know when it's done.

Cheers! :D
That must have been sometime ago as I'm sure the N/M depot closed in the late 70's, when they transfered to what was then a new depot at Thornliebank.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jenny Geddes » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:46 pm

Was there a Western SMT bus that went from Clarkston to Peat Road roundabout in Pollok I think it was a number 12. This would be the 60s or 70s.
Beware of flying stools.
Jenny Geddes
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tomgallacher506 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:46 pm

RDR wrote:I'm looking for information on the above, well known, West of Scotland Bus Company, in relation to it's activites in Glasgow and East Renfrewshire, for a project.
Pictures of it's former Newton Mearns depot (the site now occupied by the Mearns X shopping centre car park)

If you can get hold of a copy of a book called "Western Way" which was written by Neil Macdonald in 1983 then you will get all the information that you could possibly need about Western SMT. Alternatively get in touch with the Glasgow Vintage Vehicle Trust which is based at the old bus depot in Fordneuk Street, Bridgeton. Someone there will help you.
tomgallacher506
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby RDR » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:02 pm

tomgallacher506 wrote:
RDR wrote:I'm looking for information on the above, well known, West of Scotland Bus Company, in relation to it's activites in Glasgow and East Renfrewshire, for a project.

If you can get hold of a copy of a book called "Western Way" which was written by Neil Macdonald in 1983 then you will get all the information that you could possibly need about Western SMT. Alternatively get in touch with the Glasgow Vintage Vehicle Trust which is based at the old bus depot in Fordneuk Street, Bridgeton. Someone there will help you.

I've tried to find the book you suggest. Tried several bookseller sites and the North Lanarkshire Libraries database to no avail. Long out of print so I need to hope either a library or a second handbook seller has it.

I'm aware of the GVVT and I'm hopeful someone there will be able to help.

Thanks for the info.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)