Hollow Horn Asks:

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hollow Horn Asks:

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:44 pm

Yes, I see the 'David' connection. We are getting there, I think.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:04 am

I always thought Anderston started at approx Radnor Street on the left hand side of Argyle Street heading into town and stopped just about before Berkeley Street and didn't go across Argyle Street that was Finneston but then what area is St Vincent Crescent in?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:09 am

Bridie wrote:but then what area is St Vincent Crescent in?

The same area as 'The Beb Nevis' bar. :wink:

Yir no helpin' btw! ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:58 am

HollowHorn wrote:Sandyford? Never heard of it, is it a name now lost? What area did it cover?

Dave wrote:I'm not sure if it's an actual name but the local clap clinic is called the Sandyford Clinic and the Doctors surgery doon the road is the Sandyford Surgery so it leads me to believe that Sandyford has something to do with the area.

Delmont St Xavier wrote:Sandyford is that area (much of it 're-classed' as Charing Cross) but the Sandyford area was along Sauchiehall Street nearer Kelvingrove, encompassing the north side of Argyle Street and covering parts of Berkley Street, Kent Road, etc. I can't pinpoint exactly but my mother can - she was brought up in the area.

Sandyford appears in assocation with other buildings and street names in the vicinity of the Ben Nevis. You have the Sandyford Church at the top of Kelvinhaugh Street; the tenements opposite the surgery were (are?) known as the Sandyford Buildings; there is Sandyford Street of course.

During the 1800s there was a toll point on Argyle Street (then called Dumbarton Road) immediately to the west of the Ben Nevis (i.e. between the pub and Kelvinhaugh Street) - this was known as the Sandyford Toll. The building at 1125 Argyle Street (Cafe Bayan) is said to be the oldest surviving building in that area and was built on the site of the (original?) tollhouse.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Autolycus » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:53 am

The Anderston Community Council boundary runs south down Claremont Street from Sauchiehall Street, right into Berkeley Street, left down Brechin Street, right into Kent Rd, left onto Argyle Street, right into Minerva Street to where St Vincent Crescent starts and then due south to the expresssway. West along the expressway to about level with the west end of Kelvinhaugh Street and south to the middle of the river. It then runs east to just beyond Central Station and north up Jamaica Street but that's definitely not in Anderston.

The (now defunct) Sandyford Housing Association area was bounded by Radnor Street, Argyle Street, St Vincent Street, North Street and Sauchiehall Street.

I suspect the 'boundaries' of Anderston, Cranstonhill, Finnieston, Sandyford and Overnewton (not been mentioned yet) depends on whether you're buying or selling. The Ben Nevis sits between the Sandyford Surgery and Sandyford Henderson Church if that's any guide.

St Vincent Crescent? Starts in Finnieston? and ends in Kelvinhaugh?
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:54 pm

Autolycus wrote:The Anderston Community Council boundary runs .....east to just beyond Central Station and north up Jamaica Street but that's definitely not in Anderston....

i thought that was just the town :D
What deteremines a boundary nowadays is it the postcode? there must have been loads of changes over the years.

btw we're still not helping much are we HH?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Autolycus » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:53 pm

Bridie wrote:
Autolycus wrote:The Anderston Community Council boundary runs .....east to just beyond Central Station and north up Jamaica Street but that's definitely not in Anderston....

i thought that was just the town :D
What deteremines a boundary nowadays is it the postcode? there must have been loads of changes over the years.

I don't think there's any sense or logic to the business of boundaries. There are, however,discussions to reduce the area by setting the eastern boundary at North Street but this is being met with resistance from the residents of the tower blocks at Blythswood Court.
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby westender » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:40 am

HollowHorn wrote:I lost a fair few photos during a hard drive problem recently, I managed to recover most of them (cheers John) but some returned untitled & I can't remember the exact locations. As I go through my files I'll post up some photos & general questions & will be gratefull to recieve any ino you folks may offer. I'll start with these two:

Which building is this & what street is it on:

This is the building on the corner of Renfield Street at West George Street, which now houses Fratelli Sarti on the ground floor, 'il meglio del buono'. This lot are on the Renfield Street side.

Nice pic.
westender
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:02 pm

I just checked them out on streetview. Well done Westie, cheers. :wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)