Dirty Bastards!! -Renfrew Ferry-

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Dirty Bastards!! -Renfrew Ferry-

Postby yoker brian » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:10 pm

donjuan wrote:You could get yourself one of these.
If you still want to travel by boat you could get the train from Yoker/Garscadden to Central and get the Clyde Waterbus.

The Clyde Waterbus hasn't operated on the river for at least 3 years
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:32 pm

timesonline

SPT boss Alistair Watson quits over expenses

The chairman of Scotland’s largest transport quango has resigned following a Sunday Times investigation into the expenses claims of senior executives at the organisation.

Alistair Watson will formally step down from his post at Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT) tomorrow after questions were raised over the quango’s use of public money.

His departure coincides with a complaint to Audit Scotland. The public-spending watchdog has been urged to examine claims totalling £117,573 sub-mitted by SPT officials over the past three years
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:38 pm

Josef wrote:Is there any information on who uses the existing Renfrew ferry, and why?

Me! At least once a year, I'm stunned that they wouldn't keep it for that reason alone.

Seriously though - it makes (made) a fun cycling circuit for a summer evening, from Bells Bridge along the cycle route on the north side, then back along through Braehead. We even went in the pub at the north end of the ferry once. While it was still open and before it underwent the Glasgow informal demolition process obviously.

Wouldn't the ferry be a useful public transport option for the people in the dozens and dozens of modern, stylish, contemporary, luxury, spacious, quality (delete where not applicable) residences mushrooming along the road from Braehead to the ferry, given the train-free nature of Renfrew?
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:09 pm

Sunflower wrote:Wouldn't the ferry be a useful public transport option for the people in the dozens and dozens of modern, stylish, contemporary, luxury, spacious, quality (delete where not applicable) residences mushrooming along the road from Braehead to the ferry, given the train-free nature of Renfrew?

Do keep up

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9892&start=75#p205345
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark N » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:46 pm

Sunflower wrote:Wouldn't the ferry be a useful public transport option for the people in the dozens and dozens of modern, stylish, contemporary, luxury, spacious, quality (delete where not applicable) residences

One suspects these are the type of people who wouldn't been seen dead on public transport (particularly of the manky old boat kind) ::):
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:55 pm

er - sorry - :oops:
Mark N wrote:
Sunflower wrote:Wouldn't the ferry be a useful public transport option for the people in the dozens and dozens of modern, stylish, contemporary, luxury, spacious, quality (delete where not applicable) residences

One suspects these are the type of people who wouldn't been seen dead on public transport (particularly of the manky old boat kind) ::):

But surely having a waterborne component in the journey to work would have a certain social cachet?
(Anyway, most of the places are only bog-standard rabbit hutches - you can only live there because it's not necessary to have a CD collection any more. Or anywhere to keep it. Ditto for books soon.)
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:42 pm

Sunflower wrote:

er - sorry - :oops:

He's such a fanny..................Dave that is...... :D
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:47 am

This morning I spotted a vessel on the river. Unfortunately I had no camers with me. It was coming from direction of Clydebank to the ferry. About size of a wee boat seen on river called Cruiser which I thinkdoes sails in summer months. However this boat called Seabus was in same colours as the present ferry. Black bootop. Maroon band round top of hull and cream superstructure. Is there more experiments afoot. This sort of boat is not suited for present crossing but wold be ideal for travel up/down the river.
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:08 pm

I think MV Seabus is used on the Gourock - Kilcreggan - Helensburgh triangular route, don't know what it was doing this far up the river, the ferry is operated by Clyde Marine Services Ltd on behalf of SPT aka (Sponging Poncing Thieves) who are also one of the interested parties with regards to the Yoker/Renfrew service.

http://www.shippingtimes.co.uk/item360_clydeferry.htm
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Rucola » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:10 am

The ET tonight had the headline

Renfrew Ferry 'Saved'

I'm intrigued by the sarcastic quotation marks.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/edit ... -1.1009239

A passenger service across the River Clyde will continue when the Renfrew Ferry is scrapped next month, a council leader has said.

'Saved' as in not saved, then.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby davidhendry » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:04 am

One post mentioned the pub on the northern side of the ferry being demolished. Forget its name but was quite a regular some years ago, when I lived in the UK. Why demolished, the building appeared in pristine condition. It was lovely sitting outside watching the ferry coming and going. Peaceful.
aRE THERE NO HONEST ADMINISTRATORS AROUND?

Regards,
Davie.

Was/is the pub called The Wharf?
Davie.
davidhendry
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:38 am

It was the wharf and its disappearance can not be explained in a public forum. It was closed abandoned and vandalised.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:07 am

Not 100% sure of the circumstances of why the bar closed, but the building was originally the Ferrymans cottage, and has been there since the 1870's.

I had been in the Wharf twice, and it seemed to me that there was always something "dodgy" going on.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby darrel » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:36 pm

[ had been in the Wharf twice, and it seemed to me that there was always something "dodgy" going on.

in yoker??? surely not :roll:
http://darrels.smugmug.com/
darrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:04 am

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)