Dirty Bastards!! -Renfrew Ferry-

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Dirty Bastards!! -Renfrew Ferry-

Postby Josef » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:20 pm

No criticism of any of the above, but I note that the South of the Clyde route is largely through unpopulated areas, or on the fringes of populated areas.

Is there any information on who uses the existing Renfrew ferry, and why?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:25 pm

Chickens wanting to get to the other side.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:53 pm

i think a large scale hydraulic lift style bridge could be put in place.there is a small one over the canal at clydebank.acts as a normal footbridge and is raised up on hydraulics when the yachts pass through .
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:01 pm

Josef wrote:No criticism of any of the above, but I note that the South of the Clyde route is largely through unpopulated areas, or on the fringes of populated areas.

The thinking behind my delineated route was that it could provide a direct means of getting to Braehead (shopping for the ladies), Southern General (doctors for the hypochondriacs), Govan X (good point for public transport links, or so I'm told), Science Centre/Imax (for education/entertainment), The Quay (for entertainment), Sheriff Court (for the naughty), Glasgow Green (for, er, a walk?), City Centre (for Mon-Fri commuters), SECC (for gigs/shows/etc), etc (well maybe not etc - I couldn't think of any other examples of particular purpose).

How would you change the route to go through populated areas without losing some of the potential key 'stops' listed above or unduly extending the completion time for a circuit? I think, given the reason for (considering) introducing the service, it makes sense for the route to 'hug' the river as much as possible.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Caltonboy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:46 am

I see yon new ferry bus hit the skids on trials
Caltonboy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:44 am

You don't say?
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:38 am

It's working now.

£700,000 price tag.

How much does an ordinary new bus cost?
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:19 am

A normal bus is about £250,000 for something in the 50 seat mark, once you have livery and that the cost would probably be higher.

I don't think the big loop idea would have the capacity to cope during rush hour, perhaps as a tourist gimmick but not as a viable alternative to mass transit. Maybe if there were more of them it might work better but then we're moving into bridge money territory.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Autolycus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:45 am

Do buses serve the north and south ends of the ferry at the moment? Is it possible to cross from north to south and get on a bus to Braehead (or Paisley....... or the airport ......or .............?) Or cross south to north and get a bus to Clydebank College or the Golden Jubilee or...................... ?
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:15 am

Yes both sides are served, The south bank has buses to Renfrew from there you can go to Paisley, Braehead, Govan and much more. The north side requires a short walk to Dumbarton Road but you can choose to walk a bit further and get to Yoker rail station.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Autolycus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:31 am

Thank you. I was formulating an idea about Braehead 'sponsoring' the waterbus service as a way of accessing the north of the river population that doesn't have easy access to the Clyde Tunnel or the Erskine Bridge but, if it can be dome already, maybe there's no point.
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:00 pm

I doubt Braehead will do much about it, the developers of Ferry Village might get involved though. There must be 2000 to 3000 flats going in and I'm sure if there was a crossing point without the need to go through Braehead or all the way to Erskine it'd certainly increase the value of their properties.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:19 pm

Got this snap today at the ferry, a look of the future?

Hope not!!!!!

The ferry was off service for half an hour, as the workers were at a meeting concerning their future.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:01 am

sunnysider wrote:Why not just use wee boats, guys?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 019264.ece

Be careful what you wish for. :D

Speedboat vies for ferry route

Published on 11 Feb 2010

A floating bus has already been suggested, but now an inflatable speedboat could be the answer to keeping the Renfrew crossing above water.

The vessel, which was tried out on the river yesterday, may be about to replace the historic Renfrew Ferry service due to be axed next month.

Argyll-based Silvers Marine, the company behind the latest trials, is confident it could be a success as similar boats are already being used in London and Ireland.

Last month, Strathclyde Partnership for Transport, which runs the Renfrew Ferry, decided the Renfrew Rose and the Yoker Swan would be withdrawn from service, saving £400,000 a year. SPT chairman Alistair Watson said he was in talks with private firms about a replacement service ... continues @ the Herald.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sunnysider » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:53 am

Weeeeeeey! That looks like fun!

Yoker, Renfrew, Miami..... ::):
Whaddya mean, keep down? Why, they couldn't hit an elephant from this dist-
sunnysider
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext