Dirty Bastards!! -Renfrew Ferry-

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Dirty Bastards!! -Renfrew Ferry-

Postby yoker brian » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:25 am

Johnny_Gogo wrote:I'm thinking that Renfrew is in whatever shire and Yoker is in Glasgow, so who is actually subsidising a £1.70 fare against 3 quid cost for every passenger journey?

I would be in favour of paying increased fares - but the fact is SPT have been feeding untruths in that they do not include passengers Travelling on the ferry using Zonecards, in the total figure, hence it looks likes the ferries are underused, in my book that's fraud.

Secondly SPT have spent in the region of £3m of public money in the last 2 years in hiring consultants and commissioning reports into schemes such as cross rail - cross rail raises it's head frequently with another new report or commission, Why don't they just go to the city archives and get the report out that was commissioned in the 1970's by the predecessors of SPT the then GGPTE.

SPT also waste money on senior management fact finding jaunts to places such as Helsinki to discover how to run a bus station, funny that I thought they had one of their own at Buchanan Street, it's been there for at least 30 years, other recent trips were to London and Turin, to look at the design aesthetics of metro /tube stations including enhancing the consumer experience through the installation of public artworks in stations. This is on top of the shiny silver bollards installed at underground stations, to prevent a 4x4 being driven down the escalator's or stairs.

Give it a few days and cross-rail will be back on the agenda, the subway will be extended and will operate as a maglev between Glasgow and Edinburgh, (but there is no trains after 6pm on a Sunday) there will be a new tourist mono-rail around George Square, but only after a new report has been commissioned and consultants re-hired, It will be on page 4 of the Evening times probably by Tuesday, along with a nice wee picture of Mr Photo Op, High Heid Yin, Cooncilor Purcell.

Goodnight
YB.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:45 am

Until very recently I thought the Renfield Ferry was the venue I saw Andy Fairweather Low at ! 8O

Someone mentioned that it's not exactly well advertised, how about not at all?

Er, where is it so I can take a couple of photos one day ? I have never seen a sign to it when passing thru Clydebank.
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:14 am

LG - if you head along Dumbarton Road, towards Clydebank, look out for Kwik Fit Tyres on the left and the Anchorage Bar on the right, if you turn left into Yoker Ferry Road at KwikFit and walk the 150 yards you will be at the Yoker Ferry Slipway.

If your using the bus, the no 62 drops you off at Dumbarton Road / Yoker Ferry Road @ Kwik Fit.

Map Here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=&sll=55.865627,-4.257223&sspn=0.112893,0.441513&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=&ll=55.887623,-4.378996&spn=0.001763,0.010986&t=h&z=17
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:25 am

LG - get along there while you can. Great wee place for photos: derelict buildings , cobbles , water , old lamp-posts etc. Very Hidden Glasgow, all in a small area.
And if you are lucky , there might be tame swans.

Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby swan80 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:26 am

Yes there is public transport over the erskin bridge! The Arriva No 300 from Clydebank to Paisley less than 3 quid return! So stop your bloody moaning!!
swan80
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Lone Groover » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:50 am

Cheers Brian & Tom. That's my Sunday wander sorted then ! :D
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:50 pm

swan80 wrote:Yes there is public transport over the erskin bridge! The Arriva No 300 from Clydebank to Paisley less than 3 quid return! So stop your bloody moaning!!

Thanks Swan80

I know now that there is a bus service operating between Clydebank and Paisley via the Erskine Bridge, again it is something which isn't marketed terribly well, and it only operates on an hourly basis, and extends the travel time and length of journey, but I have news this morning that there are other parties interested in taking over the route from SPT, fingers crossed that a satisfactory conclusion can be reached for both communities.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:42 pm

Lone Groover wrote:Cheers Brian & Tom. That's my Sunday wander sorted then ! :D

The pub on the Renfrew side used to be quite good, I'd probably get that confirmed before making a bee-line for it.

I was up at the science centre today with the wean and we did discuss the option of doing a loop to include the boat crossing but he wasn't up for it.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby darrel » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:50 pm

here are some photos taken today
20 more photos here
http://darrel817.fotopic.net/c1806952.htm[/img]
http://darrels.smugmug.com/
darrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:16 pm

It just a thought be we could on here organise a flash mob in Saving the RF.

Name a date and Ill get right to it!

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Icecube » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:00 pm

A flash flood? A walk on water type of protest? Mibbee a swim-athon.

Putting the single fare up to £4 might save it.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:08 pm

Icecube wrote:Mibbee a swim-athon.

A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Dave wrote:
hazy wrote:Aye and the revenue from Galston station keeps First Scot rail in profit. Stop being a prick Dave. If you are going to be controversial try and be constructive .

Galston Station was closed sometime ago I'm afraid. There's houses and a Sir Chris Hoy champion del mundo dog shit path in place of it. I'm not trying to be controversial either, seriously who the fuck uses the Renfrew/Yoker crossing, and by that I mean what actual impact to life will there be by removing it and asking the odd granny to catch a bus or swim.

Off topic, but have East Ayrshire cooncilors honoured Graeme Obree who actually had a bike shop in Ga'ston?
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:33 pm

hungryjoe wrote:Off topic, but have East Ayrshire cooncilors honoured Graeme Obree who actually had a bike shop in Ga'ston?

The shopfront in Ga'ston was a prop for the film about Graeme O'Bree. As far as I am aware the 'real' shop was nowhere near Ga'ston, though I am happy to be readily corrected.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:01 pm

Dave wrote:
hungryjoe wrote:Off topic, but have East Ayrshire cooncilors honoured Graeme Obree who actually had a bike shop in Ga'ston?

The shopfront in Ga'ston was a prop for the film about Graeme O'Bree. As far as I am aware the 'real' shop was nowhere near Ga'ston, though I am happy to be readily corrected.

Oh! I didn't know that. I now live in North Ayrshire, so my local knowledge of the Ga'ston area is limited, plus my Glasgow accent always made the locals suspicious, no speakee da langwidge.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)