The Clyde ferries

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The Clyde ferries

Postby duck » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:58 pm

This Corporation Transport map shows the ferries as they were in the sixties. Not sure of the exact date but the Clyde Tunnel is marked so it's after then. Interesting to see Anorak's Clyde Street ferry is still called that.

duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:26 pm

Evening Times

Sale time for Queen Mary

A CLYDE-BUILT steamer, which carried thousands of Glaswegians "doon the watter", has been put up for sale.
The Queen Mary, which was built by William Denny of Dumbarton, was launched in March 1933.
She sailed the Clyde for 44 years and was finally retired in September 1977.
A few years later the steamer was given a new lease of life when she was bought by Bass Leisure Retail and taken to London, where she became a floating pub and restaurant.
However, the old lady now has to leave her current mooring at Victoria Embankment opposite the world-famous Savoy Hotel.
She's been put up for sale at almost £155,000.
The boat is being marketed by Richard Lane, of Capital Boats, who said the response had been "overwhelming".
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:50 pm

Mori wrote:Evening Times

Sale time for Queen Mary

A CLYDE-BUILT steamer, which carried thousands of Glaswegians "doon the watter", has been put up for sale.
The Queen Mary, which was built by William Denny of Dumbarton, was launched in March 1933.
She sailed the Clyde for 44 years and was finally retired in September 1977.
A few years later the steamer was given a new lease of life when she was bought by Bass Leisure Retail and taken to London, where she became a floating pub and restaurant.
However, the old lady now has to leave her current mooring at Victoria Embankment opposite the world-famous Savoy Hotel.
She's been put up for sale at almost £155,000.
The boat is being marketed by Richard Lane, of Capital Boats, who said the response had been "overwhelming".

If I was a betting man I'd bet against her berthing at the new museum anytime soon. Or not soon.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:27 am

Interesting information about the Queen Mary II Rab. She was a great wee boat, and as fine a looking steamer as ever sailed the Clyde. I enjoyed sailing on her many times to many different Clyde piers. I wonder if your reluctance to betting that she'll berth at the new museum is your way of expressing a wish to see her there. I think she would be a worthy addition to this new museum of transportation. I'd like to mention that, to the best of my knowledge, she was never a Clyde ferry.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:54 am

Dugald wrote:Interesting information about the Queen Mary II Rab. She was a great wee boat, and as fine a looking steamer as ever sailed the Clyde. I enjoyed sailing on her many times to many different Clyde piers. I wonder if your reluctance to betting that she'll berth at the new museum is your way of expressing a wish to see her there. I think she would be a worthy addition to this new museum of transportation. I'd like to mention that, to the best of my knowledge, she was never a Clyde ferry.

It was Mori's cut and paste from the ET Dugald, so I can't take any credit. However you're right about my wanting to see some more Clyde-built vessels on the river. I never sailed on the steamer, but remember her sweeping past the Renfrew Ferry when I was a wee boy.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tombro » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:54 am

As a kid, I went 'doon the watter' to Dunoon, with my brother and Granny, on the Queen Mary many a time !

We used to also lean out the window of my Granny's place in Crimea Street in Anderston just after ten o'clock every morning when we were there in our summer school holidays, to watch 'the Queen' go by on her trip to Dunoon and Rothsay !

To return her to Glasgow, as a major attraction at the new Transport Museum, would be a wonderful thing as I'm sure 'the Queen' played just as important a part in the history of Glasgow's Transport System as did Corporation Trams and Buses, the Clyde Ferries, the Subway and the Train System.

Let's do whatever we can to retain mementoes of our heritage !

Tombro :idea:
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:05 am

Remains of a ferry landing? (Judging by duck's handy map, the Finnieston Ferry, though I'm happy to be corrected.)

All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby fatweegee » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:59 am

Was on one of the last ever crossings of the Kelvinhaugh Ferry. My sister born Jan 1980 was weeks old - it is such a vivid memory cos on the same day our dad tried to get us through the old tunnel but wasn't able to!
fatweegee
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby tombro » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:03 am

Definitely does look like a ferry landing, LP.

Funny that now, when people no longer use it, it's all fenced up and locked off. My late 1950 memories suggest that I used to be 'thit-scared' getting onto one of those wee ferries because I was always frightened I'd fall into the water.

I loved crossing the Clyde on them though, mainly the Partick ferry or the one from the bottom of Clydeferry Street below Anderston Cross, and sometimes even on the much bigger Renfrew Ferry when heading out to Abbotsinch for the Annual Air Show !

Tombro :D :D
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby helpmaboab » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:04 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:Remains of a ferry landing? (Judging by duck's handy map, the Finnieston Ferry, though I'm happy to be corrected.)

Definately the Finneston Ferry. I've cycled past that many a times. It's just across from Elliot Street and your ooking across to what is the new Mavisbank Garden Flats. Google Map link...

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=55.857395,-4.279132&spn=0.005082,0.038452&z=15&layer=c&cbll=55.857406,-4.27913&panoid=fUoDUMGeiQIiviLDBFLhtQ&cbp=11,197.4,,0,5.6
helpmaboab
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Mori » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:24 pm

Not a ferry but didnt know where else to put this.

MV Kyles:Wiki

ET

Puffer’ goes back to Clyde
THE oldest floating Clydebuilt vessel in the UK is to make a grand return to the Clyde.
The MV Kyles will leave the Scottish Maritime Museum in Irvine on Friday after two years of repairs and essential maintenance.
The diesel-powered 'puffer' will return to the Clydebuilt museum at Braehead
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:47 pm

Saturn and Loch Bhrusda at Gourock

Jupiter coming into dock at Dunoon
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glenlee1896 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:14 am

Hello everyone,
I'm currently researching the Kelvinhaugh Ferry which operated on the Clyde from 1954 - 1980. I would be delighted to hear from anyone who remembers travelling on the ferry or has photogrpahs from this period.
PLease contact me at The Tall Ship, [email protected]

Lisa Gaston
Museum Education Officer
glenlee1896
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mori » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:35 pm

BBC

Budget cuts may sink Yoker to Renfrew ferry service
A question mark is hanging over the future of one of Scotland's oldest ferry services because of budget cuts.

Councillors are set to consider closing the service between Yoker on the north bank of the River Clyde and Renfrew on the south.

The route is heavily subsidised and Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT) is looking at ways of saving £2.5m from its annual budget.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:17 pm

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/editor-s-picks-ignore/could-this-be-the-end-for-the-renfrew-ferry-1.998359
A study for SPT found it would cost £15m to replace the ferries with a pedestrian bridge which would have had operating costs of £130,000 a year.

That was ruled out on cost grounds and instead officials looked at replacing the two vessels at a cost of up to £1m with an annual subsidy of £400,000.

I can see why the bridge is expensive - the height required to allow ship access from BAe systems yards, and also the length, but upkeep of £130k - is it to be manned 24x7?
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects