Up on the roof

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby AMcD » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:00 pm

cumbo wrote:Up above the Tunnel Club,Nearly said disco there!,there is a small appartment that the lift opperator for that building has also one in Bothwell street above the bella pasta, same thing Will start looking out for more 'Hidden ones'

Is this it shown in this picture?
http://ubicomp.lancs.ac.uk/~strohbach/P ... ty%20N.jpg

:)
Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:26 am

[quote="Seamey"]Thanks to EmmaR

Arrgghh!!, the GCBP!!

How could you??! :roll:

It is the tallest building, more or less in the middle of the picture and with all the strange and ugly T.V. department things on the top.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:33 am

Speedbird wrote:
Seamey wrote:Thanks to EmmaR

Arrgghh!!, the GCBP!!

How could you??! :roll:

I don't get it.

Although it sends me to sleep most mornings I'm there.
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:33 am

I don't think I could sit in there and enjoy a coffee. Always me me think of looking in cages in the zoo, bit like a chimp's tea party.

Isn't that dependant on the customers in there at the time though??
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:39 am

I don't get it.

*It is just such a big and unattractive building.
Also I spent 3 years there, on the 11th - 13th floor.
They are the top 3 floors repectively underneath the 14th and 15, where the TV department is on the roof.
I spent half my time on the 12th, in the room at the very left hand side in the picture before the end of the building.
The 13th (the one without the white blinds) is also the TV depatment, but also the Science bits as well.*

Although it sends me to sleep most mornings I'm there.

*It sent me to sleep before I even got there!
Hideous place*
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:43 am

Incidentally, the aforementioned BT Tunnels' must run just in front of it at the top.
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:00 am

Was that picture taken from a plane or something, because it is the tallest building around (As far as I am aware, the UGC is slightly smaller).

It offers the most wonderful views out over the North and South of Glasgow - I just wish they had put windows' in the West and East sides as well and not left them as a plain (but oddly impressive) wall.
you could see right down onto the Queen Street low level lines' and everything.

Still a hideous place though.

P.S. if you can, please avoid the lifts' as they are just dodgy.
They have recently done up the old supplies' lift as an extra one, but it is just sinister.
The 3 older ones keep on breaking down and the emergency Bells' were often a usual sound.
I was put off them totally after one of them apparently had motor problems and let the lift free fall about 3 floors'.
- Skidmark time methinks!

The odd thing was, that I had just had a dream before hand where I was in one of them and the wires snapped.
I woke up just before we hit the bottom, but I was there falling with it - it was so real.
I was already wary of them because of that, but after what happened, they just scared me for good.
12 flights' of stairs' is quite nice, particularly when you run up them..........
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:00 am

It's Cat B (I think) listed.
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Seamey » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:28 am

It even looks like there's an attempt at a roof garden too - fantastic!!

amcd wrote:
cumbo wrote:Up above the Tunnel Club,Nearly said disco there!,there is a small appartment that the lift opperator for that building has also one in Bothwell street above the bella pasta, same thing Will start looking out for more 'Hidden ones'

Is this it shown in this picture?
http://ubicomp.lancs.ac.uk/~strohbach/P ... ty%20N.jpg

:)
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:48 am

Allan,thats the flat at 80 Mitchel Lane taken from your helicopter I presume :wink:
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:09 am

I seem to remember there was a pretty awful afternoon "magazine" style show on STV a few years back which went out live from a little round building on top of Buchanan galleries, directly above where Sainsburys is. They had features, guests and lots of glasgow rooftop shots when going to ad breaks etc. it may have even been called something like "on the roof". Can't find anything on it on the web. Just remember wanting to get up there and see the views.

JamesMc.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:39 pm

It was called "Room at the top" and yes, it was on the roof of the Buchanan Galleries, although AFAIR it was actually above where Habitat was.

The OB unit was parked in the Buchanan Galleries South delivery access area in Dundas Street.

Those working on the show said that the little glass room would steam up like a greenhouse when it rained, and the guests had a walk across the rooftop to get into the makeshift studio, which was on occasions challenging on account of the weather.

The show was a mid-afternoon chatshow thing and I think it also ran under the title "Summer at the top" when it ran over the summer at a slightly later time (17.30- 18.00?).
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:56 pm

JayKay wrote:It was called "Room at the top" and yes, it was on the roof of the Buchanan Galleries, although AFAIR it was actually above where Habitat was.

The OB unit was parked in the Buchanan Galleries South delivery access area in Dundas Street.

Those working on the show said that the little glass room would steam up like a greenhouse when it rained, and the guests had a walk across the rooftop to get into the makeshift studio, which was on occasions challenging on account of the weather.

The show was a mid-afternoon chatshow thing and I think it also ran under the title "Summer at the top" when it ran over the summer at a slightly later time (17.30- 18.00?).

And there was no toilet facilities, leading to at least one celebrity (I think it might have been Patrick Stewart) pissing outside. And possibly down below onto the passers-by.

Allegedly.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:17 am

And there was no toilet facilities, leading to at least one celebrity (I think it might have been Patrick Stewart) pissing outside. And possibly down below onto the passers-by.

To boldly go where no one has gone before?? :?
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:34 am

JayKay wrote:It was called "Room at the top" and yes, it was on the roof of the Buchanan Galleries, although AFAIR it was actually above where Habitat was.

Spot on with that, i checked my Glasgow photographic atlas and sure enough, the wee round building is above where habitat used to be.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects