Bellahouston Hospital

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Bellahouston Hospital

Postby denekaca » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:57 pm

Hi,

I am going through some of the old keepsakes of my Mother and found an intersting item: it is a silver cigarette box with an inscription:

Presented to Sergent Bisset
From his Comrades
at Bellahouston Hospital
7th March 1919

A note inside the box in my Mother's handwriting says: Dad's Uncle on his Mother's side.

My Grandfather's (deceased) name was Alexander McVean. My Grandfather was too young for the WW1, but was active in WW2. I don't know what his Father's military service (my Greatgrandfather) history was - but I assume that if he was merely a serviceman recouperating at the Bellahoustan Hospital he would not have rec'd a silver cigarette box. Preliminary research on the web suggests that he may have had a position of responsibiity at Bellahouston. Does anyone know anything more specific? I would love to learn more and pass this info along to the next generation in the family.

Thank you so much!

CA
denekaca
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Bellahouston Hospital

Postby viceroy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:01 pm

Hello Denekaca

If Sergeant Bisset was your grandfather's uncle, then surely that makes him your great-great-uncle, not your great-grandfather as you seem to imply in your post? This is not a family history site so it is most unlikely that somebody on here will have any knowledge of your ancestor.

The Scottish National Red Cross Hospital stood where the Bellahouston Sports Centre is now and was really only in existence for a few years. I did a quick online search in the National Register of Archives for Scotland (NRAS) but couldn't come up with anything that related to the hospital.

Perhaps if you contacted the British Red Cross they might be able to give you some information or point you in the right direction. This is a link to the museums and archives page on their website.

Best of luck.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects