Glasgow Cathedral

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow Cathedral

Postby Ruglen » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:17 pm

Why won't Glasgow City Council get rid of all the black 'soot' that covers the cathedral ? Is it lack of money ? :?:
Ruglen
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Glasgow Cathedral

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:28 pm

I'd guess it was decided it would damage the stonework too much.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby yoker brian » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:46 pm

Ruglen wrote:Why won't Glasgow City Council get rid of all the black 'soot' that covers the cathedral ? Is it lack of money ? :?:

I'm not sure it would be the councils responsibility - surely it would be the church of scotlands responsibility or historic scotland?
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:20 pm

yoker brian wrote:
Ruglen wrote:Why won't Glasgow City Council get rid of all the black 'soot' that covers the cathedral ? Is it lack of money ? :?:

I'm not sure it would be the councils responsibility - surely it would be the church of scotlands responsibility or historic scotland?

Brian that's not the sort of helpful welcome I would wish to give a newcomer from a former Glasgow suburb. Well done.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BenCooper » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:55 pm

For your general amusement:

I couldn't quite work out what they're doing up there - it's stonework-related, definitely, but not much seems to have been replaced yet.
www.transientplaces.co.uk
BenCooper
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:00 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
yoker brian wrote:

Brian that's not the sort of helpful welcome I would wish to give a newcomer from a former Glasgow suburb. Well done.

Sorry Dexter, i forgot you were in charge of the welcoming committee :wink:

Hi Ruglen & welcome to Hidden Glasgow ,
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:25 pm

I am surprised the council have'nt got rid of the Cathedral !
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:20 pm

johnnyanglia wrote:

I am surprised the council have'nt got rid of the Cathedral !

You may care to recall that the Council rescued the nearby monstrosity that is the now the Museum of Religious Studies after all the capitalists that sat on the Church of Scotland board of responsibility fucked up their plans for a Christian touris base for the Cathedral.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:32 pm

I didn't know that, Dex. Do you have (or have a link to) more details?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:23 pm

Josef wrote:I didn't know that, Dex. Do you have (or have a link to) more details?

I was pissed off with the decision at the time and am still pissed off with it. You don't seriously think the council paid for that design and had it constructed during a period of restrictions in council spending.

If anyone can do a better google search than I did I'd appreciate it but that's how the museum of religious studies came about. If not I'll phone Mark O'Neill.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:09 am

This is an old building we are talking about and it has taken many,many years of weathering to reach this condition. It would look terrible cleaned and probably out of place. Besides, many of these cleaning operations go wrong and damage can occur.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:39 am

I'm sure they said the same about Wells Cathedral in Somerset until his carbuncleness stepped in and had the place refurbished. I'll dig the photos out.

As for damage, these places have full-time masons to keep them in good repair.

Some of these cathedrals were actually painted in bright colours originally rather than left in the natural stone finish that we're used to.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Huggy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Pity that museum isn't used for Old Glasgow stuff, rather than the junk which which it is stocked at present. The cathedral fabric was the responsibility of the Ministry of Works, whatever that's called today.
I had a look for a monument to the two Reformation martyrs, Franciscan friars, burned alive by order of Archbishop Dunbar at the east end of the building, above the Molindinar. Couldn't find anything at all, anybody with info'.
Huggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mrsam » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:05 am

[puts on archaeology hat]
Right folks
Ms Brigir doon is right the cathederal was possibly painted - medieval people couldnt read so bright pictures were important also common people couldn't afford bright coloured paint (as it was expensive to make) so it was a sign of status to have a painted building. - this is why purple is associated with royalty as it was the most expensive colour to make.

The fabric of the cathederal is cared for by Historic scotland and I suspect that part of the reason for the scaffolding is to check the fabric of the building. Removing soot is an option but stone types like sandstone have a strong crust with a delecate inner core, kind of like a loaf of bred, once you damage / remove the crust the inner core deteriorates quicker than otherwise.

[/takes off archaeology hat]

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Huggy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:15 am

The programme of replacing worn-out stone has been going on for years, now moved to the west front where the two towers were removed in Victorian times. Question is, where did the stone for the cathedral come from, the local stone on the Necropolis, is dolerite which is unsuitable for fine work. The Giffnock sandstone would be the obvious answer, using water transport where possible, anybody got the answer?
Huggy.
Huggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects