OS Piller

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

OS Piller

Postby Fossil » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:01 am

Has anyone come across anything like this hill walking or climbing? I take it must be some early OS use... and how did it work? Is there any more located in Glasgow and surrounding areas?

at base

Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby cumbo » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:50 pm

Good photos the Fossel
From my geography days.I think they are called trig pillers or markers,
something to do with mesurement using triangulation,that leads on to
geometary not my subject!
there is one up on the Cathkin Braes
I think they are usualy in areas over a certain sea leaval.
What was the location of your photographs?
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

perambulating tuxedo presser

Postby cataclyzm » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:57 pm

Hi,

This is actually a perambulating tuxedo presser, that was used in occult ceremonies in the woods during the 1920's. Obviously, no pressing apparatus were available in the woods at the witching hour, so this devise was installed by Glasgow City Council, for worshipers of the Occult to press their tuxedos for after ceremony cocktail soirees.
It also doubled as a gothic hinge, and a great number of us will have used the gothic hinge in our lives without having been aware of its presence. This multi faceted object of imparted concrete should be approached with caution however, as the glekkit and naive may unknowingly activate its meridien alarm system which flows through the lay lines beneath the ground and activates the malevolent collective consciousness of all money grabbing bastards who are asleep in Glasgow and in some kind of dream like state.
PROCEED WITH TUXEDO PRESSING WITH EXTREME CAUTION>
and be aware that Art Noveau steam can KILL or MAIM the glekkit!
:wink:
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby kn0wledge » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:57 pm

Isn't it a mile marker?

I used to live in a small village in England, and it had mile markers all over it, from way back in the 18th century, so that the carriagemen knew the distance to wherever they were going.
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:46 pm

i thought it to was a mile marker, but are they not smaller? this piller is about 1.2m high..
i'm sure its Os related. At the bottom of the piller (pic 2) it does have the initals Os on it

heres the multi map link> it is located where the blue triangle no 74 is
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=267500&Y=659500&width=500&height=300&client=public&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&scale=10000&out.x=6&out.y=5

GPS pah :wink:
Fossil
-
-

Trig Pillar

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:11 pm

It's a known as a Trig Pillar (with an 'a' not an 'e') :P

Used for calculating height above mean sea level. Plenty of them dotted around the hills and mountains, no longer used as more accurate methods have replaced them.
I've came across a couple in the Scottish mountains that have been obliterated by lightning strikes!.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:20 pm

..so what fits in the top?
Fossil
-
-

Trig Pillars

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:53 pm

This was the mounting for a thalido, oop's, I mean a theodolite.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:02 pm

Told ya Fossy :wink: ::):
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Fossil » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:03 pm

...second opinion doctor ::):
Fossil
-
-

Postby caine » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:24 pm

he be correct, as although my hill walking days are behind me for the time being, we actually had to use them for various walks to prove we'd actually done it by taking the ref number of it, so no cheating worse luck! ::):
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

OS Trig Points

Postby gap74 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:50 am

Not only can I also confirm that they were OS height markers (didn't older OS maps used to print the height of each marker at its location?), I'm also very familiar with the one in your photos, having spent most of my life in that particular corner of Cambuslang!

This is actually a really good example to demonstrate how they worked - heights being calculated by relating the pillars to each other. From this particular one, you can see two others, although one is now obscured by new housing. The first one is up on top of nearby Dechmont Hill, to the south, easily seen next to the flagpole at the summit. The other is lower, on Newton Station Road to the west, next to the new Hallside Primary School.

Believe it or not, the pursuit of these trig points is something of a hobby for some people, and the one at Hallside Primary is particularly sought after due to it being fenced off and in the grounds of a school!

On a slightly different note, this area has a couple of sites I've always thought well suited for the Hidden Glasgow treatment. One is the army rifle ranges at the foot of Dechmont Hill, still in use as a live ammo firing range, but if you venture that way when the flags are down, there are rows and rows of old, disused target trenches, some of which are now hidden in woods!

Also nearby, just over the Rotten Calder River, next to Blantyrefarm Rd (just where the B758 writing is at the top right of the Multimap link in the earlier posting) is another old WWII AA gun emplacement site which is relatively well preserved, despite some of the structures being partially buried now. Keep meaning to venture out and take some pics for submission, if anyone is interested!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: OS Trig Points

Postby Fossil » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:30 am

gap74 wrote:...............One is the army rifle ranges at the foot of Dechmont Hill, still in use as a live ammo firing range, but if you venture that way when the flags are down, there are rows and rows of old, disused target trenches, some of which are now hidden in woods!
.................. another old WWII AA gun emplacement site which is relatively well preserved, despite some of the structures being partially buried now. Keep meaning to venture out and take some pics for submission, if anyone is interested!

Gary

Hi Gary
yes I know the one at hallside. The firing ranges ah yes i remember going up there a few moons ago and collecting the empty shells
maybe we can meet up sometime for a pic hunt.... :)
Fossil
-
-

Postby gap74 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:46 am

Hi MF,

Sure, I'd be happy to have an excuse to traipse across that way again, not been walking there for a few years now since I moved away from the area and my faithful dog died!

There's loads of stuff down that way, strange wee ruins and old industrial sites that I've long thought would go well on this site, just never thought to post anything until I instantly recognised your photos of the OS pillar!

You ever been to Redless Quarry or the long-gone mining village of Caldervale/Fin-Me-Oot? They're within about a 15 minute walk from there.

Not to mention the numerous bings and old mine-workings...

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:39 pm

Where are you now living? The only bing left is the one in westburn ...and might I add that it’s about to disappear for HOUSING AAAAAAAAAGH
:evil:

..Sorry about that, must arrange a time....

fossil
Fossil
-
-

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects